1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Bartenders drinking on the job

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Dan R, Dec 30, 2012.

1. misterbluesman

misterbluesman Tele-Holic

It's nice to meet another Charlestonian!

2. lewis

lewis Poster Extraordinaire

I worked third shift at a large brewery during summers in college. There were coolers in the break rooms, we were allowed one beer per shift.
    Needless to say, we bent the rules a few times and that lifestyle can become quite habit forming.
    There were a couple of old timers who drank every hour, every day.

3. tfsails

tfsails Friend of Leo's

Bartenders drinking on the job is illegal in VA. I have to say I've never seen a bartender drinking on the job here. I think the establishment can lose its liquor license if employees are caught drinking on the job.

4. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Common in Montreal at certain clubs but usually not allowed.

5. MickM

MickM Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I tended bar in a couple shot and beer joints over the years and drank slow but steady at each one with the owners knowledge even though the PA Liquor Control Board forbids it. Of course they also frown upon bartenders passing sealed envelopes containing winnings or losses the day after a sporting event. Or for that matter, any other game of chance that they can't take a cut of.

6. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

I'm a local, but not a Charlestonian. You know the difference? A local lives here, but a Charlestonian was born here. So I was told, but that's another story. ; )

Dan R

7. bigbandtele

bigbandtele Tele-Holic

Very uncommon here in Ontario - may even be illegal.

OTOH, in the UK, you generally don't tip the bartender in a pub, you offer to buy them a drink!

8. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Its against the Law in my state.

Only after the place has 'Closed' for the evening and the Doors are Locked, are they are allowed to indulge.

9. DrumBob

DrumBob -------------------------

It happens here too. My best friend used to hang out in a bar in Rutherford, NJ, where the bardtender, an old guy, always got soused by the end of the night. I don't see bartenders drinking very much these days, but I have seen it happen. I can understand it at the end of the night when people are leaving.

I have played several bars where the owners are raging alcoholics. One of them can be a mean, volatile drunk by the end of the night. Very unpredictable. I have at least one gig booked there already for 2013, and am not looking forward to it.

10. Virgman

Virgman Tele-Meister

Hell yes. It's one of the perks of the job.

11. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

I was a bartender for years when I was in college and after I graduated. I worked in Manhattan and Los Angeles/Newport Beach. I never, not once took a drink behind the bar until my shift was over. There were people who did but they didn't last long. We were responsible for many things including money. Call me a stuffed shirt but I thought it was detrimental to the job. I believe I made more money staying off the booze while working. Now, when I lived in Mexico it was customary to include the bartender when buying a round of drinks. And we would play La Casita, a cup with dice game to see who bought rounds. In establishments where the PC is watched everything is charged for, no freebies. So a bartender would have to make sure everything was paid for. I see it in the small local bars we go to, but those bars do not have the overhead that big clubs have.

12. StarliteDeVille

StarliteDeVille Tele-Meister

Yep. I'd rather see the bartender doing shots with the customers than ignoring them.

13. cowboytwang

cowboytwang Poster Extraordinaire

In Arizona it's unlawful for any employee to sell, serve, distribute, or handle alcohol without having a state license. It's is also unlawful for those licensed employee (who sells, serves, distributes, or handles alcohol) to drink, purchase, or accept as gift, any alcoholic beverage while on duty or to be intoxicated while on premises.

For years the law said any employee, and they used to apply that to even the bands and musicians who played in clubs, but now they changed it to servers and bartenders. So now it is legal for musicians to drink during their shift, but they still cannot be intoxicated.

Also unlawful for:
    (a) An employee of a licensee, during that employee's working hours or in connection with the employment, while the employee is not engaged in waiting on or serving customers, may give spirituous liquor to or purchase spirituous liquor for any other person.

(b) An employee of an on-sale retail licensee, during that employee's working hours or in connection with the employment, while the employee is not engaged in waiting on or serving customers, may taste samples of beer or wine not to exceed four ounces per day or distilled spirits not to exceed two ounces per day provided by an employee of a wholesaler or distributor who is present at the time of the sampling.

(c) An employee of an on-sale retail licensee, under the supervision of a manager as part of the employee's training and education, while not engaged in waiting on or serving customers may taste samples of distilled spirits not to exceed two ounces per educational session or beer or wine not to exceed four ounces per educational session, and provided that a licensee shall not have more than two educational sessions in any thirty day period.

So if your were working at a micro brew pub, and you are not a server/bartender or waiting on customers, you can only sample 4 ounces a day of beer or wine and 2 ounces a day of distilled spirits.

Most states I've worked in have very similar laws, it's just a matter of how much they get enforced. I see bartenders drinking all the time.
    http://www.azleg.state.az.us/ars/4/00244.htm

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.