Barring With Ring Finger

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by tele-rain, Jun 29, 2017.

1. tele-rain

tele-rain Friend of Leo's

At some point during my lessons from various sources, I started to strengthen my ring finger to use as a barre for 5th string root note barre chords. But then you're sort of giving people the finger, unless you bend the middle finger down a bit:

IMG_5314.JPG

But I've seen plenty of pros use the middle, ring, pinky to make the barre:

IMG_5315.JPG

Any preferences, thoughts on each of these approaches? I know many feel there is no right or wrong in guitar, it's just how you feel comfortable and get the desired result (unless your injuring yourself). But I'm just curious!

jimytheassassin likes this.
  2. stephen78

stephen78 Tele-Meister

I use just my pinky for barring. Not sure how/why I picked up that habit!

3. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I always used the pinky, but a teacher told me I should start using the ring finger more.

In some instances, I agree with him. You can use the pinky to make a Sus4 if you do that. I do find it easier to move the shape quickly with the pinky holding the bar though. Basically, I use both.

I also just bar the D, G, and B with with my index for another shape that's easily transformed into other chords.

Never use the second picture.

GoldDeluxe5E3 likes this.
  4. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I use ring or pinky for those chords... depends what chord/grip I'm coming from...

5. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I use the first approach, but my index finger is parallel to the frets. I would never use the second grip since I hold that the 'A' formation used on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th strings is not conducive to accurate intonation, good tone, good sustain or changes to other chords.
    Fwiw, the grip I use for a basic A is index finger on the 3rd string, middle finger on the 4th string and ring finger on the second string. I taught myself that fingering when I was 12 because of the discomfort on the 4th string and the resulting bad intonation, poor tone and weak sustain on that string.

tele-rain likes this.
  6. gtrjunior

gtrjunior Tele-Holic

I go between the ring and pinky depending on the situation...
    I never use the 3 fingers the way you're second pic is. In that manner you can't add any chordal embellishments...all you're fingers are occupied.

GoldDeluxe5E3 and tele-rain like this.
  7. 5ofeight

5ofeight Tele-Holic

I find it a difficult thing to do, any hints or tips( no pun intended) on the best way to learn this skill?.

8. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

I started playing acoustic, so my ring finger was stronger and I never really had any lessons so I always used my ring finger bent back like that (first photo). Recently my bassist told me he's jealous because he cannot bend his finger that way. I don't care if I give people the finger, I never think about it. In the second photo, I would use that if I wanted to go to a 7 chord. Lift your ring finger to go a B7. Then you can lead to a C dim 7: x3424x

Obsessed likes this.
  9. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

I used to use my ring finger. Nowadays I find it easier to use my pinky unless I want to add a sus 4th or something to a barre chord or do a couple of hammer on notes to spice it up.

GoldDeluxe5E3 and Tommy Biggs like this.
  10. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I studied classical guitar (on my own and with a teacher): you will learn the most economical fingerings and have a kick-ass left hand.

AAT65 likes this.
  11. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

+1 Same exact story for me too. Somehow early on, the ring finger knuckle allowed the pad to do barring very precisely. I too know people who wish they could do it, but frankly, I think if you do it enough times, it just happens.

Tommy Biggs and ermac68 like this.
  12. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

I learned this chord as a 4 finger chord, but over time switched to ring or pinky exclusively. Near the nut, where the frets are farther apart, it's pinky; up the neck where the frets are closer, it's ring.

I like the built-in gesture, you can aim it at anyone you are cranky at. o_O

GoldDeluxe5E3 and Mr. Neutron like this.
  13. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

A lot of people can't bend the joint on their ring finger
    That why the pinky of more comfortable.
    But you do lose when you only play the pinky.

14. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

The ring finger needs to be in just the right spot so you can arch it and not foul the E string. Takes a lot o practice, but it frees your pinky for other duties (the 7). Buchanan's cover of Treat Her Right ends with a shrieking G and a pinky octave. It's the only way I can get it.

Obsessed likes this.
  15. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

The ring finger needs to be in just the right spot so you can arch it and not foul the E string. Takes a lot o practice, but it frees your pinky for other duties (the 7). Buchanan's cover of Treat Her Right ends with a shrieking G and a pinky octave. It's the only way I can get it.

16. gtrjunior

gtrjunior Tele-Holic

I think you just need to "do it". Keep practicing until muscle memory takes over.

Obsessed, Doctorx33 and Tommy Biggs like this.
  17. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Sometimes I do the "three finger thing" on x2444x to make it easier to shift one back for x2434x.

Harry Styron and Tommy Biggs like this.
  18. tele-rain

tele-rain Friend of Leo's

Wow I've never tried the pinky, gonna see how that feels. I think I just kept at the ring finger thing till it stuck, but I'm sure there were aches and frustration involved. Now it just plops itself over the strings like it was meant to! I just wish the rest of my lackluster techniques would fall into place already, lol!

GoldDeluxe5E3 and Obsessed like this.
  19. GoldDeluxe5E3

GoldDeluxe5E3 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Sometimes, you just gotta give people the finger.

thegeezer and Mr. Lumbergh like this.
  20. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

I do it all the time. If it works for you and doesn't make playing more difficult, go for it.

tele-rain likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.