Barrel switch tip in the way

Chicken Curry

Tele-Meister
I play mainly in the neck position, My 52 AV has a barrel switch tip, big and fat, in the neck position my fingers keep bumping into it. Does anyone else find this annoying? I thought I'd get used to it but I didn't. Thoughts, advice?

I know, it's not the biggest problem, I have it off on my AO, it gives me more room for my fingers.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I play mainly in the neck position, My 52 AV has a barrel switch tip, big and fat, in the neck position my fingers keep bumping into it. Does anyone else find this annoying? I thought I'd get used to it but I didn't. Thoughts, advice?

I know, it's not the biggest problem, I have it off on my AO, it gives me more room for my fingers.
I use both a Strat tip, and bend the switch about 45° downward. That gets it out of the way for me.

naneek

Tele-Holic
on some guitars, I like to reverse my control plate.

I set it up with the volume knob at the top so it's close at hand while picking, tone in the middle, and the switch at the bottom where I have no chance of hitting it accidentally while strumming.

you can do this real easily in about 5 or 10 minutes with only a screwdriver. no wiring modifications required. just unscrew, disassemble, move your pots and switch around, and reassemble.

[my next tele will have no switch. instead I'll have a volume pot for each pickup, and master tone. that way I'll be able to blend my neck and bridge pickup volume to taste.]

naneek

Tele-Holic
You'd really be in trouble with a top hat knob.
the top hat switch tip on my affinity squire tele had a messy casting seam, so I dremeled it down into a more streamlined shape with no 'hat brim.'

now it's a thin oval with a flat top, which tapers down to a hexagon shape at the base.

I sprayed it with a little clear coat, and it looks pretty slick.
it feels better in my hand, and it's a neat little detail to make my guitar unique.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
If you don't wanna reverse the control plate and flip the switch 180 degrees...

I learned a cool trick from Danny Gatton (Peace be Upon Him): bend the switch lever downward to move the knob downward. It's not much of a change, but it makes a world of difference. Make sure to bend it at a point that allows it to smoothly traverse all positions.

Gatton-Switch-Mod.jpg

You can see it here (click on the pic to embiggen it):

GettyImages-595309938-danny-gatton-beer@1400x1050.jpg

Chicken Curry

Tele-Meister
Cool, I'll try a bunch of these. Had a look under the hood in the past but for some reason I didn't think there was enough slack to turn the selector switch 180. That's my first preference. Then the strat tip swap. Cool band name.

Bourbon Burst

Tele-Meister
the top hat switch tip on my affinity squire tele had a messy casting seam, so I dremeled it down into a more streamlined shape with no 'hat brim.'

now it's a thin oval with a flat top, which tapers down to a hexagon shape at the base.

I sprayed it with a little clear coat, and it looks pretty slick.
it feels better in my hand, and it's a neat little detail to make my guitar unique.
Pic?

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
One of the coolest things about Telecasters, is that they were meant to be modified and changes to suit our needs. Pull the barrel tip off and replace with a Strat switch tip. Choose black and stay with the current color scheme, or choose whatever color you like.
Is that what happened to all the switch tips at GC? :lol:

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
You can even improve on ^^that by using a file and smooth sandpapers to knock off that pointy point on the Strat-type switch knob.

Measure carefully before doing the work so you don't file/sand to the point that you get into the blade recess.

Done correctly, it resembles a Tic Tac. NOT the Nimitz UFO hoax thing. The breath mint!

A cool result of the bent switch is it gives you greatly improved access to the switch when flipping it out of position 1, because it's no longer parked against the volume knob. It hangs down a bit and you can hook it with your little finger to move it. This problem is why the 'top hat' knob was implemented in the first place.

Last edited:

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
I wonder why Leo didn't start using Strat tips on Teles instead of the Top Hat switch? I don't have much of a preference, but Leo could have saved a couple bux over the course of his life by just switching to Strat tips.