Barre Chord Bliss

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by Toast, Sep 28, 2019.

1. sonicsmitty

sonicsmitty Tele-Holic

For many years after I started playing guitar the big E string was the 1st string and the A was 2nd, D 3rd, and so on. Then I find out I'm wrong and some yo-yo officially numbered the dang thing backwards! What kind of sense does that make?!! When I look down at my guitar while playing, the closest string to my eyes is that big E string. Naturally that should be the first string, right? The little e is farthest away so it should be last, or sixth, right? Logical, right? Noooooo! Some guy standing on his head numbered them. Either that or it was Albert King, but I wouldn't say anything to him if he was around 'cause he was way bigger than me.

When I try to explain how to play something to someone, I sometimes catch myself making that same mistake, even after playing more than 50 years. :confused:

P Thought, DonM, Toast and 1 other person like this.
  2. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

I think I got lucky, to be honest. I'm pretty certain I don't have perfect pitch. I wish I did. My relative pitch ain't bad though. I think I just got lucky that day. I had neglected the D chord on the 10th fret for a long time so that day I spent a lot of time noodling around with it. Anyway, I got tired of playing and came to TDPRI. The first song I play starts with the D chord on the 10th fret. Serendipity :). Sometimes I can hear the harmonics on the 5th fret on a recording and that's a tip off that something is going on at the 5th fret, but that's about the best I can do with just hearing one chord and locating it.

Thanks for all the practice recommendations. I'll definitely try them. I want to expand my chord palette so those are great suggestions. I usually work on chords by learning songs with certain chords. I want to find a more systematic chord approach. I should really work on extension more, but I'm slow poking my way through things.

3. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

I really wish the guitar fretboard was as intuitive as a piano keyboard. When I want a more piano-like view of the guitar fretboard, I play the intervals I want to see as a distance on a single string. For example, if I want to see the interval of A to D (IV), I play it on the 6th and fifth strings on the 5th fret. I follow that by playing the A on the 5th fret and the D on the 10th fret along the 6th string. That just helps me see the interval as an actual distance. It's a useful perspective for me.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    Digital Larry and sonicsmitty like this.
  4. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Open B7 when I’m on the move used to give me fits. Still hangs me up once in a while.

Toast likes this.
  5. Guran

Guran Friend of Leo's

I have to say that I think I agree with the string numbering, but for a slightly different reason. A higher number should indicate a higher pitch! Just as with fret numbers.

Toast and sonicsmitty like this.
  6. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

Nice... probably good for your frets too. ;)

7. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

No, when you started playing those 50 years ago, the strings were numbered 1-6 with the first string being the high E. You may have been taught the opposite by someone who was not aware, or you may have taught yourself incorrectly; but the high E has always been the first string....making the 6th string the low E. Check out a string package someday. (;^)

Toast likes this.
  8. sonicsmitty

sonicsmitty Tele-Holic

Yeah, it was me making an assumption and teaching myself incorrectly. I am aware that the numbering of the strings has been that way for a very long time, long before I was born most likely. A hundred years? IDK, but I still stand by my point that the goofball who numbered them, numbered them backwards.:mad:

P Thought and Toast like this.
  9. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

There are times when one has to realize that just because one finds oneself in a contrary position that that does not mean that oneself is right side up. (;^)

Toast and sonicsmitty like this.
  10. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

Here's a new contour to the warmup. You can take whatever I-IV-V pattern you're noodling around on and then change to a different key by going from your Dominant chord (V) to a new tonic. If you want to make it a Dominant 7th chord and make your key change, that works even better.

For example:

F-Bb-C (V) and change to A (I)-D-E

The following video helps.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.