1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Barncaster's 2012 Challenge Build Thread -- COMPLETED

Discussion in '2012 TDPRI Tele Build Challenge' started by Barncaster, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Hey Fretman,

I really like the flat board. There are no issues with chording and it is very comfortable. The recommendation to make it flat was from my guitar teacher who plays nothing but flat and scalloped as well! Additionally, it's easier to make and make accurately. I did not have to level anything. There were a few high places so I just heated the glued fret with a soldering iron and gave the neck a squeeze in an aluminum-jawed vise w/ neck caul for a full seating and all was perfect. I did miss re-squeezing one but its at the 21st where I never play anyway so someday when the neck is off... :rolleyes:

Barncaster

2. Barncaster

Thanks Axedaddy!

3. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

I do want to do it again next year. I've had more fun over the past 2 months than I've had in quite a long time, and I've made some awesome new friends along the way. I plan on making a couple more guitars between now and then, so I should have some more experience under my belt... not that it will help if I do something completely off-the-wall again :lol:

4. anyone

anyone Tele-Holic

Fantastic realization of a beautiful vision there!
    Sounds great too!

5. Barncaster

Off-the-wall Roger? Oh that could never happen with you :rolleyes:

6. Barncaster

Thanks Chris!,

Except for the veneering which was a fix due to a bad router table accident, the guitar is very true to it's original vision. :D

Rob

7. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Wait...That sounds nothing like a Banjo, I'm so confused :D.

Awesome job on everything. Great thread very entertaining, totally cool design on your guitar and very well played ;). Can't wait to see you do it all over again next year, I enjoyed following this one.

8. Bowensby23

Bowensby23 Tele-Meister

that guitar looks and sounds great Barn!

9. Barncaster

Thanks James,

Yes the guitar has identity issues. It is the product of an "instrumentally mixed" marriage. ;-) Its funny, depending upon my medication Ive heard it sound like bagpipes too........ As far as well-played goes, I think a hearing test may be warranted. ;-) Yes, next year will be fun. All kinds of half baked ideas are going off inside of my pea brain. You can bet on one thing however, I will never route the wrong way with a spiral bit again!

Rob

10. Barncaster

Thanks B! It's been fun!

11. Barncaster

Hey All,

I am decommissioning the thread with Paul now. Thanks again everyone!

Rob

Hey All,

Well, here it is, video warts and all! Man I couldn't nail that song to save my life. Anyway, it is what it is. Here's a rundown on the specs of the guitar:

• Sipo Mahogany body forstner drilled for weight reduction
    • Ebony Cap
    • Veneered with Australian Bloodwood and Indian Rosewood
    • All gluing done with Titebond horse hide glue
    • Clear nitrocellulous lacquer on veneer
    • Minwax tung oil on neck
    • Howards Feed-N-Wax on all ebony
    • Double tortoise shell binding
    • Flat sawn toasted hard maple neck with large "D" profile
    • Ebony slab fretboard with no radius
    • 21 stainless steel jumbo frets
    • No truss rod
    • Waverly banjo tuners
    • Ebony nut
    • Custom ebony bridge/ intonated
    • Rickard 6 string banjo tailpiece
    • Self made pickup in Tele bridge form. Garolite flatwork, Alnico 2 humbucker bar magnet cut to 2.36 inches and wound with 10,000 turns of 43 AWG wire. Measures 10.95 on meter
    • CTS 250 pots
    • Switchcraft Gibson style 3 position/ 3 pickup switch with black tip
    • Custom variation on cocked wah circuit with tone control in all positions
    • .029mF Orange Drop cap
    • .005mF ceramic cap for cocked wah
    • All cloth wiring
    • Switchcraft jack
    • Electro socket
    • NOS Bakelite knobs
    • Weight - 7.2 lbs.
    • DR "Pure Blues" round core nickel wound strings (nines)

Thanks again everyone and see you in next year's build challenge! :D

Barncaster

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2012
  12. Barncaster

I just realized how lame my competition photo is compared to other folks. Beauty shots in the sun for posterity are to follow!

Rob

13. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

I think you need to get the stripes into the shot somehow, maybe photograph it in front of a mirror or something.

14. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

Sweet guitar - I really have to steal that tuner idea as well as the vanish idea. Very cool theme and it all works great together amazingly well.

I used Antique Oil Finish on mine this year and I did the whole wipe on wait a few minutes then wipe off. Since it looked so great with it all loaded up, I always wondered why not just let it dry... I'll have to give that a whirl!

15. Barncaster

Hey James,

Definitely natural light to start with. Some nice warm long afternoon light. Maybe tomorrow. I'll do several pics and the stripes will make it in although they are a little rough. I swear this thing is sounding better and better as the days go by. Is this happening to anyone else? Maybe it's my new Scatter black gator strap....sweeeeet! :twisted::cool:

Rob

16. Barncaster

Thanks Mojo!

I love the Waverly banjo tuners. Really old world quality. I may need to do a Firebird in the near future and wouldn't hesitate to use them. I do have a set of the correct Gibson banjo tuners but they are even heavier than the Waverly's. I think the Gibson Firebird is one of the most under-rated guitars ever.

Test out the non-wipe varnish method on scrap first. It worked for me with the Minwax Tung Oil but took a week to decently harden. I made the mistake of putting a clip on tuner on the headstock around day 3 and by the time my sixth sense said "take it off!", there were impressions but they seem to have gone away. Lesson learned, give it time to harden.

By the way, I'm not a humbucker person but the Gibson 57 units you used on your challenge guitar could easily change my ways. It sounds exceptional, some of the sweetest tones I've ever heard regardless of brand. I love the harmonic complexity.

Rob

17. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

I noticed the same thing with mine. I spent about 20 minutes with it yesterday and REALLY liked it. I was getting some great sounds out it and will be using more GFS pickups in the future... until I learn to wind my own :twisted:.

I was nailing that Lay Down Sally sound and spent quite a bit of time playing that. Then i moved through different levels of overdrive. Since my Tech 21 has a Fender channel and a Marshall channel, I was able to get a nice variety out of the guitar.

18. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

I think it's because they weigh 57 pounds. You ever watch Phil X? Watch this vid for 40 seconds, the guy cracks me up. Are all banjo tuners 25 pounds each?

19. Barncaster

Hey Roger,

Yes, I think we are all bonding with our children. The initial flaws aren't so much flaws anymore, they're character.

Rob

20. Barncaster

Hey James,

Phil is my hero! He's like a human jukebox and a total goof. And yes, the Gibson banjo tuners are heavy. My guitar with the Waverlys is just ever so slightly neck heavy but it's almost not noticeable.

These type of banjo tuners were a pre-WWII response to the original 1:1 friction banjo tuners. Players wanted more controllable and refined quick tuning, (4:1). As banjos usually have heavy pots on them, the weight probably helped balance. Also, men were men back then and didn't complain about a few ounces. Times have changed! Those depression era folks were tough.

Rob

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.