Barncaster

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by R. Stratenstein, Oct 11, 2017.

1. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jeesh ! Enough, already!

2. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Still praying for you. It must be exhausting to be on edge all this time. Stay safe and try to get some rest.

Meteorman and Barncaster like this.
  3. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

Damn. Still praying here, too.

John

Barncaster likes this.
  4. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Holic

.......this sucks so bad, even if nothing additional happens to his house.. to be amidst all that and see all those people suffer.

I used to live out that way, not quite in your neck of the woods, but very, very close. best times of my life out there really. Sometimes it feels like I haven't smiled in 15 years or so since i left for good. I miss Napa on the weekends.

Barncaster likes this.
  5. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Thanks all. The water bombers started to hit it hard at first light this morning. We will go back up today if the mandatory evac that affects my area is lifted. My company is intact and will resume operations tomorrow so I have to report.

6. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Sounds like good news! Keep us posted.

Barncaster likes this.
  7. 1bad914

1bad914 Tele-Holic

My family’s prayers and thoughts are with you.

Barncaster likes this.
  8. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

Rob it is time to check in with your extended family.... tap tap tap.. I hope thing improve there

Barncaster likes this.
  9. Barncaster

Hi Helmut,
    Just arrived back in Santa Rosa from SF. Will be staying with some friends in a cleared section of Santa Rosa.

Last night the Oakmont fire went huge. The fire is in a heavily wooded and unpopulated area so when the water bombers are done for the day, the ground fire fighters cant get to it so last night it stoked right back up again. The big DC10 was working today according to neighbors.

Just got a text seconds ago that choppers are doing night water drops. Very cool. We have a neighbor who is on the ground and we are receiving intel directly from him through his wife. He says currently the fire front is moving slow. Hopefully the choppers can put the nails in it. Tomorrow will tell.
    Rob

10. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

It's hard for me to get a handle on these fires. Up in Southern Oregon, we have these huge forests of pine and fir and stuff, and the fires are generally way out in the middle of nowhere, often on steeply sloped terrain. My image of Rob's area of Norcal is that it's not that heavily wooded, and there are roads and all these neighborhoods with fire hydrants and stuff, and it kinda blows my mind that they can't protect a subdivision... I'm not criticizing the response (cuz I know I'm under-informed), but the drone video puzzles me...

Newbcaster and Barncaster like this.
  11. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I wish I could send you all some of the rain we've been getting over the weekend and today,,, it's been bucketing down... 6" maybe of general rain...

After a 4 month drought over winter with tinder dry conditions here as well... our fire crews will be breathing a sigh of relief right now.....

I hope you get a break in the weather soon and some needed relief ..... :)

Barncaster likes this.
  12. Barncaster

Hi Jup,
    Where I live is a combination forests, vineyards and urban/ suburban buildup. The woodlands here can seriously hilly/ mountainous. One of the major issue is that the embers can travel up to 6 miles on decent wind and get either dangerously in front of or behind of the fire fighters.

Concerning the drone footage, many of those fires were stoked with high winds. In that situation, the fire skips
    from house to house very quickly, like in minutes and quickly becomes a mass of heat that is impenetrable to normal fire crews.

We also had a lag in air support due to several competing fires around the state that pre-dated the ones in Santa Rosa. This proved to have devastating consequences.
    Rob

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
    Jupiter likes this.
  13. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Here in OZ we've been getting the pictures of your fires!!!!! You poor buggers!!! We get huge bush fires here of course and lots of properties get burnt out, but usually in rural areas where the bush is allowed to grow wild and few fire breaks are maintained, and back burning hasn't occurred for some time. I can't believe the aerial shots of what we've seen. Your suburbs look like the aftermath of a nuclear explosion and houses seem to be burnt to the ground and trees in the yards are still standing. As Trev. said we've had inches and inches of rain about the last three days, wish we could direct it to you poor people.

DC :(:(

Barncaster likes this.
  14. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the update Rob. Hang in there!!! Keeping my fingers and toes crossed!!!

Barncaster likes this.
  15. Allthesound

Allthesound Tele-Afflicted

Really sorry to hear about your ordeal Rob I can't even begin to imagine what a harrowing experience this has been for you guys , Glad you and your family are safe. Sending our prayers

Barncaster likes this.
  16. mPacT

mPacT Tele-Holic

Having just been narrowly missed (30 yards) by the Southern California fires, I know exactly how it feels to be forced to make these kind of choices. I'm with you!

John Nicholas, Mat UK and Barncaster like this.
  17. Barncaster

Thanks all,
    The house is still standing this morning. The bulldozers are cutting huge firebreaks, the water bombers are working non-stop and the firefighters and police on the ground are relentless in performing their duties in spite of the risks to themselves. I don't really know how we are going to repay debt of gratitude we owe them all.
    Rob

18. mefgames

mefgames Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

So good to hear the house is still standing and you and yours are safe. We're in Larkfield/Wikiup area and went through the same nightmare.

Barncaster likes this.
  19. Barncaster

Is your house OK? Everyone safe?

20. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Man, let's have some dang rain in there!

Barncaster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.