1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Barnboard Jazzmaster/Classic Player build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Strat62, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Strat62

Strat62 Friend of Leo's

I glued up and carved out a couple of old spruce 2X6's for my latest build. I like the the new Jaguar Classic Player they've come out with, but I'm not a fan of the chrome plate/pg combo that the Jag has so I used a Jazzmaster pg. Luckily a bucker with a mounting ring just about covers the P-90 hole. What I really like is the use of the blend pots to fade from single coil to humbucker mode; makes for some really nice tones. I bought the two buckers off a member here; one is a genuine Fender and the other is vintage Yamaha with massively deep polepieces. The neck is one of those economy unfinished GFS pieces. I cut my own Strat style headstock, gave it a fret dressing and topped it off with vintage style tuners. I was able to get nice close action. Plays and sounds great; the only thing I'm not sure I like is the body-it looks to me as though it needs to go on a diet; a "fat" Jazzmaster if you will. I may dissassemble it and trim it down to more closely resemble the actual thing?

Attached Files:

2. neocaster

neocaster Poster Extraordinaire

That's awesome. I've never heard of that. I may have to try to hunt down that classic players' in a store just to hear what that sounds like.

3. Strat62

Strat62 Friend of Leo's

I gave Fender a holler on that- they sent me all the info I needed on the Jag Classic Player. It was easy to transfer the wiring to a Jazzmaster-I just subbed a 3 position switch for the two Jazz on/off switches, and eliminated the tonecut switch; all that really amounts to is a fixed tone pot.:cool: **Well, I was going to upload the PDF wiring and switching file Fender sent me, but the file exceeds the size limits-I'll work on frinding a way.

4. TELE_BLUES

TELE_BLUES Tele-Afflicted

Very nice

5. Strat62

Strat62 Friend of Leo's

Thanks. I don't know if you can see this very well, but here is a pic of the printout I made from Fender. I'm thinking that you could set up any guitar this way with tone/vol pots to blend the coil split?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  6. fishtownmike

fishtownmike Tele-Meister

I never liked the jazz master because of those big funky looking single coils pickups and that cheesy trem unit but with hum bucker and les paul style bridge and tail it makes it look quite nice. Great job.

7. Strat62

Strat62 Friend of Leo's

I never liked the trem unit either-I have heard that it's a bit sketchy, and I've seen too many terrible 60's Japanese knock-offs equipped with it as well. Fender does offer the Jag Classic Player HH set up like this.

Attached Files:

8. blackbelt308

blackbelt308 Tele-Holic

Nice to see that those old humbuckers found a good home!

Ciao,
    Rick

9. Strat62

Strat62 Friend of Leo's

You know, I wasn't expecting much, but they sound pretty damned nice paired up and blended with this setup. I had to split the Yamaha and add a couple of leads, but that was no biggie. Were these ever paired together before?

10. irishtele

irishtele Tele-Meister

Thats one nice guitar. I want an offset body guitar even more now!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.