1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Barn Story

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Steerforth, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

This morning I went out to feed the animals as always, and as the barn cats swarmed on me, over me, and under me, my horse, a big Appaloosa gelding who looks like it snowed all over him, was having an even more exuberant, more vocal stroke than usual about the urgency of getting his breakfast RIGHT NOW.

As I filled containers with food, I called over my shoulder, “Yeah, yeah. Hold your horses, I’m working on it.” And then it hit me, what I’d just said. “Wait a minute, you are a horse. Disregard,” I told him.

This is what happens when you turn me loose without turning my brain on with coffee first. I’m not sure, but I may be the only person who has ever told a horse to hold his horses.

On top of that, I think the local birds are trying to bankrupt me. Does cold weather make them eat more or something? I saw a cardinal out there that looked like a red, feathered sumo wrestler.

2. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Sounds like a great morning!

SRHmusic, nojazzhere and Steerforth like this.
  3. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Holic

Yeah, body-heat comes from food. But he was also puffing his feathers all up for better insulation. Imagine the difference between a down jacket that's brand-new and puffy, and the same jacket 40 years later after all the loft has been crushed out of it. In the summer they flatten (relax) their feathers against their body when it's hot. They're actually fatter in the summer than in the winter even though they're eating as much as they can in both seasons. By the time they fly south, they've burned it all off.

Imagine where this guy spends his summers.

SRHmusic and Steerforth like this.
  4. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

Shouldn't he be south already by this time of the year ?

nojazzhere and Steerforth like this.
  5. Steerforth

I’m not sure. We may be on the northern end of their winter range. The winters here are comparatively mild, in contrast to the arctic hell in which I grew up, LOL!

Even the geese seem sort of ambivalent about migrating. I think we’re near the southern end of the Midwest flyway for migratory waterfowl.

johnny k likes this.
  6. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Nah, cardinals are actually pretty hearty little buggers. One of the beauties of Iowa in the winter are the sheer numbers of cardinals, both male and female, sitting in bushes against the snow. A cardinal in some form will actually be one of my next tattoos.

Cardinal range.jpg

7. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Metabolizing food generates heat. Yeah, they want food. The cardinal was probably puffed up to stay warm. The air trapped between feathers is an insulator.

EDIT: Well, I should have refreshed the page before answering. @beanluc had it covered already.

Steerforth and nojazzhere like this.
  8. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Cardinals are still here in North/Central Texas. So far, our winter has been pretty mild, with all kinds of birds still hanging around.

Steerforth and johnny k like this.
  9. Steerforth

Well, I’m glad to know that I’m not inducing obesity in the local Cardinal population, LOL! Thanks!

nojazzhere likes this.
  10. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Holic

He is. There's not one single place that's "the south".

It's funny because some cardinals will be there in the summer, but different ones will be there in the winter.

nojazzhere, Steerforth and johnny k like this.
  11. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

I missed something i think. Do they migrate ? if they do, where do they go once it gets cold ? Southern states if the weather is milder ? south america ?

We have got sparrows, upload_2021-1-22_21-38-51.jpeg
    upload_2021-1-22_21-39-3.jpeg

those two i don't know the name of, red tailed bird, and red robins.
    The funny thing is some are pickiy, they don't all eat any kind of seeds, some birds just toss them out if they can't eat them or don't like them.
    They like sunflower seeds though.

Steerforth and OlRedNeckHippy like this.
  12. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Holic

Cardinals that summer in Canada may winter in Northern US states.

Cardinals that winter around the Gulf may summer literally anywhere north of there.

It's not just cardinals, the general idea here applies to most migrating birds.

The only exceptions would be birds which migrate between whole hemispheres, rather than within the latitudes of one hemisphere. Or else birds whose summer and winter ranges don't overlap at all, even if in the same hemisphere.

Steerforth likes this.
  13. Coloradotwanger

Coloradotwanger Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Nothing like starting the morning feeding animals.....with coffee though!

Steerforth likes this.
  14. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Across the evening sky, all the birds are leaving
    But how can they know it's time for them to go?
    Before the winter fire, I will still be dreaming
    I have no thought of time,,,,,

Steerforth likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.