Baritone neck choice for black top baritone tele

JersMissingFinger

TDPRI Member
I have a NOS in box Blacktop baritone tele loaded body in Ghost Silver. Question is do I...

1) wait for a used or NOS original Blacktop Baritone neck to show up, 27 inch scale I believe. Maybe 27.5?

2) Buy a fender sub sonic 27 inch (or is it 27.5?) scale, and use that? It would be the closes to original spec.

3) Do a Warmoth 28 5/8 scale conversion neck? More length than original, harder to play perhaps, some cool options from warmoth with flamed roasted maple etc. but not original spec.

I see myself playing it for a bit and selling it or the reverend descent I have. I'll keep the one i like more. What will maintain best resale? warmoth neck or fender neck?

Or maybe i just sell it as is, a NOS loaded body... but i'd rather build it and play it

swarfrat

Tele-Meister
There are a few bits I don't like about the Warmoth baritone. Nut choices is one , I like a 1-5/8" nut. Also the baritone fingerboard is a hair wider than the heel, and it has this little jig that looks for all the world like an " oh crap well I guess we can make it work" which doesn't belong in a CNC production item. But it's a design feature and they tell you about it.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
The Fender ones that they sell on their site are 27” scale MiM necks. The one I have is great, no rough frets and even feel. The nuts that come with them are just lined so factor that in.

JersMissingFinger

TDPRI Member
Thanks. I c
The Fender ones that they sell on their site are 27” scale MiM necks. The one I have is great, no rough frets and even feel. The nuts that come with them are just lined so factor that in

Thanks. Good to know. I can build or slot a nut. Was actually going to fit an earvana once I had the initial set up. Would still love to find the orig blacktop neck if I could.

JersMissingFinger

TDPRI Member
There are a few bits I don't like about the Warmoth baritone. Nut choices is one , I like a 1-5/8" nut. Also the baritone fingerboard is a hair wider than the heel, and it has this little jig that looks for all the world like an " oh crap well I guess we can make it work" which doesn't belong in a CNC production item. But it's a design feature and they tell you about it.
Good to know. Thanks. I will always heed advice from a fellow warfrat

Freeman Keller

Poster Extraordinaire
Remember that your choice of scale as well as your choice of strings and tunings will dramatically affect the tension and playability. I know that the Warmoth neck is a true conversion (designed to work on a 25.5 scale body by moving the neck to body joint), you should make sure the others are also. If you are thinking about going to a compensated nut remember that you will probably be running a wound third - that affects compensation at both ends.

swarfrat

Tele-Meister
Don't get me wrong I'm not sure the reason for it. Overall I'm a huge fan. I was just disappointed with this feature

Conversion Necks Compared

"Both Conversion Necks bolt directly on to any 25-1/2" scale guitar body that uses Fender's® vintage/original 2-3/16" (56mm) neck pocket dimensions. It is not necessary to modify the neck pocket or move the bridge to install either conversion neck.
The Baritone Scale Conversion Neck employs an undercut heel design in order to fit these neck pockets. As a result, the fretboard will slightly overhang the sides of the neck heel in the upper fret areas. The overhang does not affect playability in any way. "

My suspicion is that W's baritone is aimed at a certain category of djent shredder (I am not) and the wide nut and fingerboard is a nod to either the nut or bridge width.

mad dog

Friend of Leo's
Scale is everything with me on baritone. I play B to B. Anything short of 28" just doesn't work. (I've owned, tried several in the just short of '28" range, so this is experience, not opinion.)

Which leaves #3, Warmoth. I've had two such necks. One, maple board, never felt right. Felt too wide, cumbersome. The other, a beautiful RW board, felt just right. Hard to try and buy with Warmoth. That would be ideal. I ended up buying and trying.