Bare Knuckle Pickup Question.

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Jake D, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Jake D

Jake D Tele-Holic

I'm getting ready to try some Bare Knuckle Pickups in my Highway 1 Tele. I also plan on doing a four way switch and some brass saddles at the same time.

I've got an e-mail into their customer service, but it is probably pretty late in jolly old England, and I was wanting some feed back from anybody here that has tried them.

I am looking for a fatter, hotter sound with lots of punch and some of the natural tele characteristics coming through. A good friend recommend the Country Boys by Bare Knuckles.

I am thinking of trying the BKP Piledrivers or the Boss tele pickups.

Any thoughts or experence would be apprecitated.

Also, here is a link to their website, if you guys haven't heard of these.

http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/products.html

2. Steve-0-

Steve-0- Tele-Meister

I currently have a BKP Brown Sugar tele bridge in my bastardcaster and its pretty awesome. Sounds just like how you think it should. Tele with a bit of balls. Awesome cleasn, pushes the front end of the amp quite hard. Sweet with a bit of OD. Goes good through Marshall or Fender. Definitely a keeper. Treble not harsh, but definitely there, bottom end prety puchy but not flubby.

Hope this helps,

Steve

3. Jake D

Jake D Tele-Holic

Thanks Steve-O. I've been reading Harmony Central reviews of these pickups and, for the amount of money I'm likely to spend, I want to get the right set. Brown Sugars in the running. Country Boys, Piledrivers, as well.

4. theteleman

theteleman TDPRI Member

Hey The Country Boys are fantasic real nice tele twang and in the middle postion you get that nice warm tone pluss Much more .what ever you want Its all There in these pickups You have just got to look for it .I have a set of the country Boys pluss I live around The area they are made and a lot of guys around here dig these pickups .
    Just let the guys no what you are after im sure They will Help you out at barekuckle pickups .
    Good luck

5. Jake D

Jake D Tele-Holic

Thanks theteleman.

I will post up their response to my e-mail once it is received.

I had too much trouble finding a sound clip for the pups. Their BKP forum is a mess!:p

6. craigfowler

craigfowler TDPRI Member

I have a set of country boys in a swamp ash tele and they sound terrific. The bridge is twangy, ballsy but not screechy, and the neck is pretty thick sounding.

7. Jake D

Jake D Tele-Holic

I heard back from Tim at Bare Knuckle.

He said the same thing about the Country Boys.

He said that the The Boss coils are going to be darker and hotter than the CB's. At the other end of the spectrum are the dark and very hot Piledrivers. He said the Boss coils are right in between the CB's and the PD's.

Pretty much tells me what I needed to know. I think I'm going go with the Boss set. I pretty much play blues and classic rock, with some hard rock thrown in. Sounds just about perfect for me.

Thanks for your input guys.

8. Jake D

Jake D Tele-Holic

Got a Boss set from my girlfriend for Valentine's day. I will try to post a review once I've installed them. They should be here in a couple weeks.

9. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

BKP's

Hey Jake,
    Thanks for the tip on the BKP's. Sounds like you and I are looking for similar sounds. I've got a 93 MIA that I can't seem to dial in on the bridge pu....love the neck sound, but the bridge is too shrilly. Look forward to hear your thoughts after the install.

BTW....Great Girlfriend!!! :lol:

Cheers,
    Jethro

10. david henman

david henman Tele-Holic

..i was very, very skeptical of all the incredible hype surrounding this brand.

hc reviews with 10s right across the board etc.

when i was looking for replacements for the muddy stock pickups in a cheap chinese sg copy, i came across a set of "the mule" humbuckers on craiglist, and installed them.

wow!

way to turn a cheap chinese knockoff into a real player!

i would not hesitate to buy bare knuckles again.

-dh

11. Dion

Dion TDPRI Member

Settled on a set of Bare Knuckle's Apaches for my Strat after trying lots of others, BK really makes a great pickup. Just bought my first Tele that has NoCaster pups in it, wonder how long they will last?

12. slickoneuk

slickoneuk Tele-Meister

I have brown suger pickups in my tele. They sound deadly! Im after a set of matched mules next. Quality product!!

13. Fourth Feline

Fourth Feline Tele-Holic

Brilliant pickups !

I have not yet got any single coil sets from them, but have 'Stormy Monday' and ' Mule ' sets in my Gibbos, where the difference is hugely gratifying.

As previously mentioned , the 'hype' is just the truth being reported by happy customers.

Nice ... :cool:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.