Bare back

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Dick Hutchings, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Dick Hutchings

Dick Hutchings TDPRI Member

I want to remove finish from just the back of the neck and apply tung oil to it. How would I go about blending it in to the lacquer finish I think at the head and heel? This is a 70's Strat with maple fretboard.

2. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Meister

What's the end goal? Why do you want lacquer off and tung oil on? If you want more of a satin or less glossy finish the consensus seems to be white scotchbrite pads. Avoid steel wool because you'll get steel on the pickups. You could go more aggressive to get down to or near natural wood. Maybe no added finish would be needed.

If you decide to add finish I'll defer to others how to blend. I'd be worried about blending as you are.

8barlouie likes this.
  3. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's

I’m pretty sure the finish on a 70s Fender neck is poly, not lacquer. You would be well-served to just scuff it up with Scotchbrite as already suggested.

OldDude2 likes this.
  4. Dick Hutchings

Dick Hutchings TDPRI Member

I'm not concerned with the look, just how it feels. I want slippery. I imagine the scotchbrite will only last a little while. I want permanent slippage!

5. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

A long time ago I saw something about a company that etched a fine criss-cross pattern on the back of a neck by burning it into the wood slightly with a laser CNC. Apparently it worked on the principal of air trapped in the laser cuts by the player's hand..........or something like that.

DC

6. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    tubedood likes this.
  7. POS Guitars

POS Guitars Tele-Meister

Dean Zelinsky Private label has it as an option, and stock on some guitars. Interesting business concept, 1 showroom, rest is online only. They have an excellent return policy. The guitars are made in India and set up here. Their necks are often lacquered high gloss, but the laser etch supposedly decreases hand contact area, and hence decreases friction. The necks are definitely faster than high gloss, but is it just a gimmick, and no better than satin or bare? I don't think so.
    Check out Dean discussing the idea here:

8. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, I'm not sure Tung Oil is a good idea for a smooth finish-free feel. I did a body in Tung Oil last year and it's still a little tacky 12 months later. Not what I'd want on a neck at all.

I've sanded the backs of the necks on about half my guitars. Just use fine grit paper (400+) and then spray poly clear - just one or two light coats and then lightly sand again until smooth.

8barlouie likes this.
  9. dan40

dan40 Tele-Afflicted

Not sure about pure tung oil but tung oil finish does make for a nice feeling neck. I finish the back of one last year and it turned out great. I lacquered everything except the back of the neck and then applied the tung oil finish to the back. My neck was dyed vintage amber first and then the clear lacquered and tung oil finish was applied over it.

10. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's

Is the neck otherwise in good shape? If so, I'd just order a new neck with what you want. Then you'll have the original neck in unmolested condition should you ever want to sell the guitar.

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  11. tubedood

tubedood Tele-Meister

I am very curious about the Dean Z Neck.

Seems so crazy... It just might work? I dig the Dean models from the 80's I am confident this Z Neck has its merits!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.