barbrainy's goodbye

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by GracefulBrick, May 15, 2016.

1. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

I am totally at a loss for proper words

and so so sad for his family and this forum

2. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Sara,
    Is Percy going to be OK?
    Rob

3. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I think I remember Brainy saying Percy actually belongs to a neighbor, but Percy preferred Brainy's company and chose to stay there where he could. So, like us, Percy will survive, but in a diminished world.

Mbechmann likes this.
  4. Elk

Elk Tele-Meister

damn...

5. JReazor

JReazor Tele-Holic

I'm so sorry to hear this. His presence will be missed in a big way.

6. Jfellows

Jfellows Tele-Afflicted

Shocked, saddened, empathetic all at once, and then I also can't help but grin a little, thinking of his quick wit that caused me to chuckle on very many occasions.

My condolences to you, Sara. RIP Brainy, you are already missed.

crazydave911 likes this.
  7. GracefulBrick

GracefulBrick Tele-Meister

The first thing I did when I woke up this morning was check this forum, and I had to laugh. In one way, as a proud and protective introvert, he'd be sort of gently appalled that there are so many voices of condolence around. I can see his giant, beautiful self sort of prickling at the idea of a crowd.

On the other hand, he'd be so bloody happy to know how mutual his love was here.

My god the number of times I'd be in his workshop with him, and I'd hear him tell me detailed, intricate stories about various projects. I recognise so many of your names as they scroll by, having heard him speak your names so many times over the years.

In honour of the pedantic, obnoxious, detailed way he liked to run his life (and one of the many things I adored about him) I will be meticulously cutting and pasting some of your comments to show the family. They had no insight into this little world, I'm the only real connection here. But my goodness it is an important one. This art, this process, this hobby and passion..... well it kept him alive - like Soul Style Alive - for many years.

I have no intention of going anywhere. I watched him build a pickup winder. Who on earth am I going to share that kind of niche knowledge with!? Well... No one actually. Because my mind sort of went "la la la" when he got into the electrics and zzzzzzzz.

But I saw it. It was fab. I have photos. I started off as a girl, and a musician myself. who essentially just liked guitars. His passion spread to me. I loved watching him experiment with different ways to stuff a truss rod into a neck (I know it's not technically called stuffing but that's what it looked like) ... and I'd like to hang around here every so often just to be around his kin.

I do update for my art shop on the Instagram account. It also has a Facebook page for those who are slightly more technophobic. (And on BlackbirdInkwork.co.uk I will be updating the blog there)

I only ever started painting on wood because he and I enjoyed sourcing wood for is guitars so much. He's the reason my life is simultaneously dying and yet blooming.

I have slowly and clumsily tried to start buying myself woodworking supplies, as I'm building an art & woodworking studio. Some part of the universe must have known he'd be leaving, because I've been pushed into woodworking self sufficiency and aaaaaaaaaah.

I'll be detailing this journey - as it is so integral to my shop - on the Instagram account with photos and on the website with words.

So who knows. Maybe I'll be good with the tools. Maybe I'll be half the craftsman he was. Minus the man. A Craftswoman. Whatever.

Maybe I'll even build a guitar. X

I don't know how to respond individually yet. Number One (aka Percy) has a second home with his neighbour, and I've checked on him... digitally anyway. I will continue to do so.

xxxx

8. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Please join us in repeatedly refinishing guitars! ;) Andy's got one over there that's almost green enough! :D
    :(

elpico, RogerC and kissTheApex like this.
  9. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Thanks for letting us all know, he and his contribution to this forum will be greatly missed. Condolelences.

DC

Tonetele likes this.
  10. David_Maas

David_Maas Tele-Meister

Jeez, that is very sad to hear. I was always glad to get a little insight into his work around here. He was one of the pillars of this community and helped it become the beautiful place it is now. My condolences.

11. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl TDPRI Member

My condolences....

12. Tobias

Tobias Tele-Meister

That is sad news. Strength to his loved ones.

13. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Holic

I'm so very sorry for your loss. I didn't know him well but he'd always lent a helping hand when anyone needed it. So sudden and unexpected.

Horribly sorry.

Mods: It would be cool as hell to have the 2016 contest be about some cool recurring theme related to Brainy as evidenced by his posts...just my tuppence worth.

Last edited: May 16, 2016
    macaroonie, mmoncur and David_Maas like this.
  14. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

Damn, I have no words,I learn the bad news today from Helmut at Facebook.
    At least he is with Glen Smith now.

David_Maas likes this.
  15. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's

Wow, what a shock. I am so sorry to hear this news. Rest in peace.

16. ajr969

ajr969 Tele-Meister

I haven't checked in for a few days, and then when I signed on today I saw this thread. I had to read Sara's initial post twice just to make sure of what I was reading. Condolences to his family and friends. I always enjoyed Brainy's posts and he will be greatly missed here.

17. quaterstaff

quaterstaff Tele-Meister

Sorry to hear.

18. Chocklit_Thunda

Chocklit_Thunda TDPRI Member

Rip Brainy. You were always helpful and inspiring.
    Part of the reason I got into building was avidly following guys like you on this forum.

19. MM73

MM73 Tele-Afflicted

Shocked.

Andy was a great guy. I only knew him through the forum, but he seemed to be a guy that set the tone for the community here. A real role model for a new guy like me.

I recognized Andy as someone with great skill as a luthier and as a writer. His beautiful instruments could only be rivaled by the quality of person he seemed to be. Brainy could have gotten along with just the folks following his build threads. Instead, he took the time to follow everyone's builds. It meant the world to me to get a compliment from him after completing my first build. Even more importantly, though, is that I think his line of work was in helping people. This forum has lost a great contributor and friend, but his community back home has lost a kind soul that probably affected people in a much more meaningful way than we could ever know.

I hope he is in better place and happy.

Andy will be missed.

David_Maas likes this.
  20. rscalzi

rscalzi Tele-Holic

Very sad to hear this news. RIP Andy. You added a spice to this forum that will be greatly missed.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.