Barber Tone Press vs. Analogman Bi-Comp

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by ckloewer, Sep 12, 2011.

1. ckloewer

ckloewer Tele-Meister

I need a compressor. I want the Analogman but for half the price, along with a stellar reputation, that good Tone Press is looking better and better. Give me your thoughts.

EDIT: I realize these are very different compressors.

2. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

If you want the Tone Press you better move quick. Barber has stopped making them and there is no estimate when they will be making them again.

3. JoshuaCLS

JoshuaCLS Tele-Afflicted

+98776457

4. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

I can't comment on the merits of the Analogman pedal but I'm very very happy with what I get from the Tone Press. It's such a transparent comp that I often forget that it's on. It just enhances and fattens the tone of the guitar and amp without imparting any of its own characteristics. If I didn't see the red light glowing, I wouldn't know it was on.

And that, to me, is the mark of a good compressor.

5. mabley123

mabley123 Friend of Leo's

everything analogman makes is great and as described. ive had a sunface with sundial for 6 years and its never failed me and its the best germanium fuzz ive ever heard.

analogman is top of the line.

also check out the EH black finger tube compressor. its what i have and i love it. it has 2 12ax7 tubes.

6. markxander

markxander Tele-Holic

I found the Tone Press lost a bit of high end.

Other than that it was very transparent and quiet. I sold it pretty quickly, though--I like my compressor to add highs.

7. vjf1968

I have never had that problem with mine.

8. ckloewer

ckloewer Tele-Meister

Yea, I read here a while ago that Barber was in some sort of transitional phase if not going out all together. I guess what I was hoping for was someone / or all of you talking me out of the higher priced Analogman pedal. The deal is, I've got a lot of things to check off on my gear list and the compressor is close to the top. I'm seriously thinking about the BYOC 5 knob jobby as well. While cost is a factor I don't want to buy something I'll be unhappy with either. If I could cut my $1,000 dollar checklist down to $700 SWMBO will be a lot more receptive to my goals if you know what I mean.

9. Thomas47

Thomas47 TDPRI Member

Let me put it this way; I used to not be an anti-compressor man. Then, I got a Barber Tone Press. Now I'm a compressor man.

10. vjf1968

Then go for the Tone Press, a lot of sores still have them in stock but if you wait too long they will be gone. No news about Barber going under, he just does have access to those components to make those pedals and he has no intention of skimping so he will just discontinue it. Fulltone did the same thing with the 69 Fuzz and the Soul Bender and now they are back.

11. Guitarmang6730

Guitarmang6730 Tele-Meister

Well the bi-comp is two compressors in one. One is a Ross clone and one is an orange squeezer but analogman sells them invidiually also as the compROSSor and the juicer and they are a great deal cheaper.

12. Falzoony

Falzoony TDPRI Member

I've got the Analogman Comprosser (3 knob) and I love what it brings to my tone. I would have got the bi-comp but I didn't want to wait 9 months or however long it was. And as stated having an orange sqeezer would do the same trick. I think it's probably a little unfair to compare the price of the Tone Press to the price of the Bi-Comp when the TP compares more to the large 3 knob Analogman Comprosser.

13. Jayr1669

Jayr1669 NEW MEMBER!

I just received my analogman bi comp. the attack does miracles. I used to have the philosopher stone which is really awesome cuz of the blend and treble but it has a unique envelope sound that is always there. The PS is not bad but the large bicomp is my new favorite pedal next to my NKT 275 reddot sunface. Sounds amazing in bass!

14. Teleclasster

Teleclasster TDPRI Member

I've owned both, each great compressors. That being said, consider the Wampler Ego if you want a seriously good comp for a Telecaster. My second choice would be the bi-comp, it just does something really nice to the sound.

15. gtrguru

gtrguru Friend of Leo's

Tone Press all day, every day. Check out a review here. Included are good sound samples of the Barber in action. This is definitely going to be the next pedal I purchase.

16. guit30

guit30 Tele-Afflicted

The Tone Press has an adjustment to give it more treble, I don't where, you would have to read the manuel. I tried one years ago and it did not compress enough for me.

17. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

If you want a transparent comp try a Carl Martin Classic Opto Comp. Cheaper than either of the others and very well made. I have 2 comps on my board ( the other being a HBE retro for squish) and I'm very happy with both.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.