Barber Pedal Owners Club

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by Agitator, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Dunzie

Dunzie Tele-Holic

My latest incarnation of the dirt board has a couple Barbers on it, but they're also two of my most used these days. I've always preached about the Gain Changer, but the Compact Direct Drive's great too. I had a B-Custom Cool and Super Sport. The Custom Cool was ok, didn't use it much for anything, and the Super Sport was great... but the Compact Direct Drive incorporates much of the SS's tone and circuitry.

[​IMG]

2. StratAndAway

StratAndAway NEW MEMBER!

Really really considering buying a gain changer

Hey, i'm new to this forum and a strat player, dont start throwing eggs here lol. there's only one more thing holding me back from buying it, if it will be "powerful" enough. i'm the rhythm guitarplayer in a band, and we usually do play a few covers sometimes, for example "The Seeker" by the who. i play it on a distorted GLX amp running a mxr custom badass 78 distortion. Although it sounds great to certain people who love that tone, it's too buzzy and too friggin fuzzy for me, that bugs me soo much it's actually causing me insomnia lol. But when you play powerful open chords like that, it does have a certain power to it.

Would the gain changer be able to do just the same? Sound equally as powerful as a distortion pedal, but more "clearer" and able to articulate more that way (where my mxr is lacking)? I play an HSS strat, with a jeff beck signature humbucker on the bridge (if that matters in a way). I also play a fender twin reberb, and i already read enough about it to know it will sound great with that amp. But cant find much on how it would react with my distorted amp. Which is like i said, the only thing stopping me now from hitting the "add to cart" button lol. For the record, no i cant test it, i live in Belgium and they dont carry it here anywhere, i have to order it online.

Thx for all your help !

3. Dunzie

Dunzie Tele-Holic

Most people think of the Gain Changer as a low-to-mid gain OD because it's so good there, but the truth is there's a lot of gain on tap when you switch over to the higher gain setting, and it sounds incredible in both toggle positions. It'll definitely retain more of your pick attack than a heavy distortion pedal, and what I love is that it has a full sound right through the gain range. It's a great rock pedal, just as it's a great low-gain OD. One of the most versatile pedals on the market, for SURE. If you really need more gain, the Compact Direct Drive is great too. It's a higher gain pedal, and it rocks, but it isn't quite the versatile pedal that the Gain Changer is. The GC is likely my most used pedal for classic rock.

The words you use to describe your MXR - "buzzy" and "fuzzy" - are along the lines of why I use overdrive pedals so much. Articulation and dynamics are important to me.

4. tube.tone

tube.tone Tele-Meister

I have been happy with the Direct Drives, owned the LTD, 1/2 Gainer. I have the 2 version of the DD, I always debate myself about which one sounds cooler. Somedays I prefer the LG soft clipping, other days the DD higher gain.

Both work very well in a 5E3 amp I get very decent tweed overdriven tones using tele bridge pickup with tone rolled off.

[​IMG]

5. straightface

straightface Friend of Leo's

I have had an original version LTD for a few years and it's my favorite OD. When I heard they were discontinued I bought a second one just in case. Just recently picked up a Direct Drive that I'm enjoying a lot.

6. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

ive got a V1 (2002?) direct drive. Love this spedal!
    great for some hair, sustain, and girth.

I use it with the drive at 12, to give my twin reverb a cranked sound.
    [​IMG]

7. blind illusion

blind illusion Tele-Meister

I love my compact direct drive, I use it as kind of a 3rd channel on my amp, A bridge between the lower gain drive and the metal distortion(its a marshall amp), so its perfect to use on the clean channel as something mid-high gain. It sounds great for everything though and I play alot with it on the low gain setting too. Its just a really awesome pedal.

8. tube.tone

tube.tone Tele-Meister

I already posted this somewhere else, I'll share it here as well. It sounds a bit different than the big box version, I dig the drive maxed with fat harmonics on the low gain setting with a tele straight into a deluxe.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. blind illusion

blind illusion Tele-Meister

Really dig the Flat black paintjob on that, its cool. Mine is just the usual color though, the british racing green, its really cool too imo.

10. squatch

squatch Tele-Meister

Just bought myself a big box Tone Press, really looking forward to trying it!
    I'd bought an MXR Custom Comp a few months back and I love the tone of it, but it's 75-100% squish..not subtle, but tasty

I can see myself having both on the board, and being able to switch
    between squish & subtle parallel compression

Also, the Barber will be good for an acoustic board in the future

11. James Knox

James Knox Tele-Meister

True Story...

Bought my first "boutique" pedal back in about 2005 after hearing a friends Barber Dual Drive. I bought one just like it! Then I bought an LTD - and then a Tone Press. Played for probably 6 months with the LTD and Tone Press stacked and separately. During tha time i bought my first couple of "boutique" amps; a Dr X Maz18 and then a Carr Rambler.

Than all GAS hell broke loose, lol. Over the next 10 years I bought and sold dozens of amps and literally probably over 100 pedals. It really was an addiction.

I share that to underscore this point:

Barber OD pedals are equal to ANY other pedal out there, and better than most, even including pedals costing 2-3X more I know this is subjective and your milage may vary, etc.

After years of experimentation, I am back where I started. I have been using a Gain Changer and a Tone Press Compact and am very happy with the tone I am getting. I play a 72 Tele Thinline Reissue with Creamery Classic 71's or sometimes a Partscaster Strat with Kinnman PU's through a 1969 Silverface Fender Princeton Non Reverb. Takes me anywhere I wanna go!

I do fool around at home with Fuzz's and Rats sometimes for fun, but thery are not really useful for my weekly gig application.

I did just buy a used 1/2 Gainer (Half Gainer?) and auditioned it pretty extensively yesterday. I tried to dial in the exact "sweet spot" tone i have been using on my Gain Changer and got pretty close I actually kinda like the "close" on the 1/2 Gainer better than the GC. I did have to increase the bass pot on the 1/2 Gainer a bit. I am excited to try it live! I cant decide if I want the second button on the 1/2 Gainer to just boost the same gain setting from the first channel OR keep at unity gain and add more gain. I love having options! What a great pedal.

I know this; even if I keep the 1/2 Gainer on the pedalboard, I will keep the Gain Changer around. I usually don't normally keep pedals I am not currently using.

So - I am a Barber Pedal Club Lifer and proud of it!

12. MBT74

MBT74 Tele-Meister

Just picked up a used Half Gainer. I'd owned the Gain Changer previously and sold it. Took a bit of playing with the tone, mids and the two internal trimmers to get it sorted for my amps but it sounds superb running into my JTM voiced Valvetone amp. Great pedal.

13. howlback

howlback Tele-Meister

I own two LTD SR pedals. For what it's worth, I also own two Timmy pedals.

14. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Tele-Meister

Currently rocking the launch pad, the barb eq and the gain changer. Had the dual unlimited and am currently waiting on a used silver ltd that should arrive next week. Most versatile, fair priced and good sounding pedals on the market.

Wyzsard likes this.
  15. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

Merry Christmas.

[​IMG]

16. straightface

straightface Friend of Leo's

I didn't see anything about the Launch Pad in this thread. Anybody have one? I've been trying to get my hands on one and would like to hear what you guys think.

17. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

barbTP.jpg

Just made the very pleasant discovery that the Tone Press works really well with bass. Even with compression turned up there's very little loss of lows and everything is smoothed out very nicely.

18. TelePrankster

TelePrankster Tele-Meister

Former Tone Press owner, here.
    I sold it for an Xotic SP compressor because they're very similar and I needed some more space on my pedalboard.
    Barber does excellent pedals.

19. SunnySky

SunnySky Tele-Meister

I'll join. Got this!

barber-compact-direct-drive-pedal-surf-green-2_large.jpeg

20. electroman

electroman TDPRI Member

My apologies if this has already been threaded. I picked up one of the older dark brown LTD pedals and it sounds fantastic. So, I got another one to use as an additional boost in the pedal chain. The more recent one doesn't sound the same as the older one; not as lively. I compared and matched the internal trim pot settings to the older one, played around with the settings , etc. but it just doesn't sound as good. I noticed that the internal pots in the old one required a screwdriver to adjust while the newer one can be adjusted with finger and thumb. Other than that it looks the same. Any similar experiences or info on this?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.