Barber Pedal Owners Club

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by Agitator, Mar 25, 2013.

1. GeorgiaHonk

GeorgiaHonk Tele-Holic

I really like Dave's ear for tone and the way he voices his pedals. I used to own an original Burn Unit that sounded amazing into a SF Pro Reverb. Now I own an LTD that sounds amazing into my Lil Dawg. Barber effects are definitely bang-for-the-buck superstars, and I am all about that with my pedals.

2. Twangstrom

Twangstrom TDPRI Member

Barbers have been in my signal chain for over 8 years now. Tonepress, Launch Pad and an old handwritten Direct Drive. I tried to replace the LP for another clean boost but after 2 minutes I realised I cant rid of the Launch Pad. Its my favorite pedal of all time.
    I am really wanting to try the Compact Direct Drive and the Small Fry.

3. craig.collas

craig.collas NEW MEMBER!

Started out with the tone pump ++
    Then the half gainer ++
    And small fry
    I think I am hooked! That is my sound with an. Analog man delay
    The small fry is the lead tone and works so well playing with the volume on the guitar

4. blotchard

blotchard Tele-Meister

I have a Gain Changer and a Direct Drive incoming!

5. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

Didn't realize that there was a Barber thread. I am a long time Direct Drive user. My favorite overdrive by a long shot!!!

6. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody TDPRI Member

Im in!
    I own:
    ltd sr
    tone pump
    1/2 gainer
    direct drive
    small fry
    trifecta
    tone press
    dirty bomb
    launch pad
    barbq

so yeah..barbers aint too shabby lol

7. Rolfi

Rolfi NEW MEMBER!

I'm a new member and apparently obsessive-compulsive. I started with LTD SR and now own: LTDSR, LTD, UNLTD (dual), 1/2 gainer, B-custom (LTD/ b-custom SS), Direct Drive, Direct Drive LG, Small Fry, B-custom Cool, just ordered the tone pump EQ...
    the pedals have a vast range of sound to be dialed in via the ext. & int. knobs. So, if youre too lazy to adjust them for different sounds, just by them all and have each adjusted a bit differently.:)
    Rolf

8. 73Fender

73Fender Friend of Leo's

I'm kind of new to the pedal world but the Tone Press got me started and if I could only keep one pedal that would be it. The quality is apparent. I need to check out more Barber stuff. I like a non fuzzy od, subtle. I'll re read this thread again, there were a few mentioned. I've been experimenting lately with other pedals (OCD, Timmy, Jacques Overtube) and they may get moved on.

9. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

The lead guitarist in my band was selling his Direct Drive, so I bought it from him for $75.

He constantly lets me know that he'd like to buy it back. But it's mine now, and I'm never letting it go.

This thing sounds great. When I need to go loud and dirty, it maintains real clarity and precision, with great bite and growl.

10. nathanteal

nathanteal Tele-Holic

Just acquired a Gain Changer. I've been eyeing these since they first came out but for whatever reason I got sidetracked by the supposed "best selling" overdrive on the market, which I wound up hating after about a month. The Gain Changer is my new standard. It is easy to get just right because it's all around just right. I spent maybe 5 minutes on it and located my two favorite spots and proceeded to tweak my Jetter Gold Standard for 10, trying to get both sides set to mimic my ideals on the GC. Now...my setup sounds awesome. I use the GC as a boost with a light overdrive to it and it just sweetens everything up.

11. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

I've just given into my gas and scored the Barber Gain Changer. I've only had it a very short while so I won't gush too much but Wow!

Anyway, I have a question. It says that it can be powered by 9 - 18 vDC. Is there any advantage in running it at a higher input? I had a look on their website but can't find any info there about this. I'm currently powering it with a 12vDC supply (1st to hand) and it's sounding wonderful but what gives with this variable power thing? Any info or advice gratefully received.

A picture.

bgc_sm.jpeg

12. nathanteal

nathanteal Tele-Holic

My guess is that it's mostly a convenience thing. If you have only so many 9v slots on your power supply and some 12 or 18v slots to spare, you can run the mandatory 9v pedals on 9 and put the variables wherever.

There are those who purport that running od pedals on 18v supplies you with more headroom, but there are also those who say that whatever difference it makes, if any, is negligible. I have not tried comparing the two so I cannot corroborate anything either way.

13. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the info. Headroom's not an issue at present for me. Running at 12 vDC seems fine. It's a very tactile pedal isn't it, it responds to the slightest pick or touch. I know I'm really going to go for this one.

14. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

Just got the small form version of the Tone Press. Having put a bar on all pedal stuff I couldn't resist it. I flipped a couple of pedals to pay for it including my Boss CS-1 which has been a favourite of mine for quite a while. I decided that I wanted something with more options and the possibility of a more gentle compression regime. The Tone Press was the front runner for me due to its blend capability and the switch that boosts the top end.

It's a great compressor, I haven't played around with the settings too much yet, I just dialled in a sweet spot and played for an hour straight. So glad I discovered Barber's pedals, they make quality gear. All thanks to TDPRI, thanks guys!

15. Dunzie

Dunzie Tele-Holic

I added the Gain Changer this past week after being impressed with plenty of videos on it over the past year or so. And I'm not disappointed, it's definitely a great stackable low-to-mid gain drive!

[​IMG]

16. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

Spent more time with the Tone Press (the small one with multi switches). What a superb compressor it is. I especially like the subtlety switch for attack set to fast. It opens up a whole world of palm-muted sounds and harmonics, brilliant for r n b and funkish tones. Love this little box. :cool:

17. WayneT3

WayneT3 TDPRI Member

Amen, friend; I'm a Tone Press disciple myself - mine stays on most of the time I'm playing....

18. Carvalho Diablo

Carvalho Diablo Tele-Meister

My Burn Unit is a a great sounding pedal, two levels of gain, rhythm and lead in a box.

Very, very "valvey".

surfspeck likes this.
  19. Freethenoise

Freethenoise Tele-Holic

Love the crap out of my Gain Changer, use it everyday:

Sounds so good with any Fender voiced amp.

20. jmclaren

jmclaren Tele-Holic

I've owned the LTD, Tone Press and Direct Drive over the years. I currently have a Compact Direct Drive on my board. I've had at least one Barber pedal on my board for more than 10 years or so.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.