Barber Pedal Owners Club

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by Agitator, Mar 25, 2013.

1. snottyboy

snottyboy Tele-Meister

Barber makes great pedals, and offers them with the most reasonable pricing I've seen from any maker of their quality (high). Currently have the Direct Drive Super Sport, and it's with me to stay. The internal tweakability is over the top and can really transform the pedal. I've had other Barber pedals, and liked them all. The new Direct Drive Compact and Gain Changer have got my eye...it's only a matter of time before I try them out.

2. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I got my Direct Drive years ago in a trade. It didn't sound as good as the one I'd tried in a store. I wrote Dave Barber and he said, "Send it in and we'll have a look at it." He couldn't find anything wrong, but wanted me happy, so he sent me a new one. Can you believe that? Talk about Customer Service. And yes it's still on my pedalboard.

I just got a Trifecta fuzz. I'd tried one in a store and loved it. This one came from a forum member. It's even better then I'd remembered. Before I recieved it, I contacted Dave Barber. He told me that there are two versions, the V1 and V2. He likes the V1 but the customers like the V2, so he can mod V1's to V2 spec. I think I'd be happy with either, but fate handed me V2.

There's a Tone Press in my future.

3. snottyboy

snottyboy Tele-Meister

I believe it. The guy is obviously in the business because he can't get enough of it. How many boutiquers offer pedals of this quality for the prices he does?...(birds chirping....). He knows he makes great stuff and has continued to bring his customers what they want (ie., smaller boxes when able, different versions of existing pedals based on what users are requesting, not feeling gouged in the wallet, on and on). I wish others would attempt to follow his model.

4. Agitator

Agitator Friend of Leo's

The Gain Changer completely rocks my world. I'm pretty sure it just bumped another long-standing OD pedal off my board, at least for the foreseeable future. This little box contains the tones I hear in my head. And I haven't even gigged with it in Unlimited mode yet!

5. snottyboy

snottyboy Tele-Meister

I've got the GC on my radar. What pedal is it replacing, and can you give an example of the tones you mention?

6. Knowcaster

Knowcaster Tele-Holic

I have an LTD and a Small Fry on my pedal board - LTD for low gain and Small Fry for medium gain. The only downside I see is that they are fairly wide and take up more real estate on my board than Boss type enclosures. Oh, that and the endless amount of time you can spend tweaking the knobs and internal trim pots!

7. Agitator

Agitator Friend of Leo's

It's replacing a Timmy, at least for the time being. The Timmy may be better for a bluesy crunch, but I'm preferring the GC right now because it sounds less "raspy" than the Timmy, and it has a little compression to its distortion (which the Timmy doesn't). If I hit it with a clean boost on the front end, it gets "fatter" and more compressed in a way that I really like.

Ironically, the first pedal I used as my main low-gain OD was a Barber LTD, which had all the same characteristics, but I grew to dislike the mid-hump sound. It got replaced by a Dano CTO-1 which was replaced by the Timmy.

With the GC, I get the compression and smoothness that I liked from the LTD, but with three different EQ options (I use the "fat/flat" setting) and the high-gain "Unlimited" option as well. A real no-brainer in my book.

I'm not going to ditch the Timmy, and I may come back to it in a few months, but I'm loving this one right now.

8. snottyboy

snottyboy Tele-Meister

I had a feeling it might be the Timmy. The EQ options on the GC have me intrigued. Follow up with how it works out for you.

9. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

1/2 Gainer - two LTD drives in one box with variable mid humbucker level; fantastic tool

10. DrHanz

DrHanz TDPRI Member

I have a Barber Direct Drive. Great pedal, sounds great on about every setting. A keeper.

[​IMG]

11. Ricardo Moraes

Ricardo Moraes Tele-Meister

Barber Tone Press here. I'm not a dirt channel man, but I'm tempted to buy the Direct Drive in its new (smaller) versin) and the EQ too.

12. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

The Direct Drive (either big or small version) is just a great, general purpose OD in that it just has a great tone anywhere you dial it in (except maybe past 2:00 clock on the Drive knob,where the saturation/distortion just gets a little out of focus)

The DD (with Drive OFF) and Tone control (which is actually pretty subtle) cranked, and Level say at 1:00 clock can give a clean boost to an amp or another OD pedal

The DD with say the Drive knob from 8:00-2:00 clock gives you a wide overdrive range that does not suck out your low end, does not thin out highs- it's like the DD 'listens to' your natural guitar>amp sound and knows what to do!- a friendly, easy to use OD;)

* I have the big box DD with interior trimpots for Bass and Presence which really can tailor pedal to your amp's EQ

13. edipo

edipo Tele-Meister

I like the LTD so much that I've just bought another one.

14. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

The LTD is just a great low-gain OD companion to a BF or SF clean Fender amp; provides just the right 'clean balls' /tone thickening, and a little breakup to a clean tone.

I like Dave Barber's original description of the LTD- "Makes your Strat sound like you went UP a string gauge!" (something like that...)

I owned one but owed a buddy $$, so I gave my LTD to him, and it sounds great with either his BF Vibrolux Reverb, or SF Princeton Reverb

15. BourbonSamurai

BourbonSamurai Tele-Holic

Got a Tone Press today. Can't wait to check it out!

16. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

I use a gain changer into so many amps and it is perfect. Fender, Vox with my tele and sg.

17. akukulich

akukulich Tele-Meister

I've got a Tone Press and a Direct Drive and I totally dig both of them. They're great pedals.

18. chesire

chesire Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I love my Dirty Bomb. Made a Barber fan of me. Everything I've tried of his is pretty great but to make something that heavy that is still totally usable amazes me

19. zxc1974

zxc1974 TDPRI Member

1/2 Gainer owner here. Definitely a 'desert island' pedal.

20. southpaw pete

southpaw pete Tele-Meister

So impressed with Barber's pedals!
    I've got the LTD and 1/2 Gainer - and always have at least one or the other on my board. I used to own the Silver LTD and Direct Drive as well. Really been missing the Direct Drive though, so I'm actually looking at buying another one later this week.

I had been playing them through a more Vox-voiced setup. Really liked them in that setup. I recently bought a fender Blues Jr. I had heard that a lot of people really like Barber pedals into Fenders - I can see why. It is a perfect fit!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.