Banned Riffs?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Grandy, Apr 14, 2020.

1. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Holic

Amateurs? Better in who’s eyes? Who are you? Have you sold millions of records? I doubt it.

I haven’t said anything about any bands being better than others. I merely mentioned that when the Foos were coming up there were lots of rock bands.

I couldn’t name even one Mudhoney song. After looking it up They've collectively sold less than 500,000 records. 30 million people who bought nevermind may disagree with you.

Music being good or bad is mostly subjective, but when people discount bands as amateurs, that tens of millions of people enjoy, they kind of just end up looking like a douches.

awasson and Mad Kiwi like this.
  2. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

I will continue to play "Fur Elise" until I die. In book two of the Gibson Guitar Method there is a song called "Two Guitars." The Method states, "Memorize this piece. You will want to play it often in the years to come." Fifty years later I am still playing it.

awasson and koen like this.
  3. TelenTubes

TelenTubes Tele-Holic

I grew up in part on the Black Crowes. Still probably my favorite band. Ripe with open tuning material.

krrtlr1, bcorig and Mad Kiwi like this.
  4. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Because anyone who hasn't sold a million records can't know anything about music, huh? How many records have YOU sold? Less than "millions" I'm guessing, so that means by your own definition your opinion doesn't count. At least we agree there.

How many are there now, compared to 1995? The Foo Fighters' popularity has risen in inverse proportion to the popularity of rock music as a whole, simply by virtue of being one of the last bands standing and a lack of competition. I admit, it was a solid strategy.

[​IMG]

Madonna, by herself, has sold more records than all the artists you listed combined. So, her music is better than all of them combined, right? I admit- I probably like "Into The Groove" more than anything Pearl Jam or STP ever did, but that's a pretty low bar.

When did I say anyone was an amateur? You might want to go back and review if you're gonna spout off on stuff you admit you don't know about. First you accused me of being some crusty oldster who rejected all music I "didn’t already like 100 years ago", now that I'm referencing music of the '90s that you don't even know and can't possibly weigh in on, I'm a douche? You might want to quit while you're behind.

5. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Holic

What about Chuck Berry intros?

6. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Holic

Absolutely! I'm glad you agree!! But yet again, I haven't said anything about one band being BETTER than another band. Only you have.

By the way the only opinion I have conveyed was that those who go around saying bands are better than others, when said bands have sold millions of albums, look like douches. That and that you don’t appreciate music you didn’t already like long ago.

Everything else has been verifiable sales figures. Not my opinion.

I will agree that there are not as many rock bands around as there used to be, however they are still out there. The whole point I was trying to make is that the Foo Fighters are not "ONLY NOTEWORTHY" because there aren't any rock bands around anymore. They are noteworthy because they sold millions of albums at a time that there were lots of other rock bands selling millions of albums.

With a couple minutes of research their highest number of original albums sales (sales AT THE TIME, not over time) was their 2nd album in 1997…Their sales have made a steady decline since then, with their most recent album selling less than a 10th of what they sold in 1997. They were most popular in the late 90’s to early 2000’s…20 years ago.

Yet again sir, I haven't said once that another band is better than another. I never even said I like Nirvana. I only said that 30 million people who bought Nevermind would disagree. I am not one of those people. I've never bought a Nirvana album. You are the only one who is discrediting bands that obviously MANY MANY people enjoy. Technically I never even said I like the bands on the list I provided. I just stated the FACT they were popular at the time.

Well......

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
    awasson and Mad Kiwi like this.
  7. Buckaroo65

Buckaroo65 Tele-Meister

Oops, looks like I've stumbled into the Lawyer thread. I'll just shut up and back away slowly...

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  8. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

No specific song but an entire genre. Ban all shredders!! Several reasons:
    1. I can’t shred and it makes me feel inadequate when a see a 13 year old ripping.
    2. A lot of it isn’t musical. It’s just fretboard gymnastics.
    3. I can’t hear myself playing “Stairway to Heaven”.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  9. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

...and you take issue with that, so clearly you're expressing your own opinion by disagreeing with me. And you implied the value judgment when you made the point about Mudhoney's sales figures as opposed to Nirvana's. Discussing sales figures is about business, not music. If you wanna do that, maybe go over to the Wall Street Journal- you're in the wrong place here.

As to your first point, you also asked how many records I'd sold, implying that anyone who hadn't sold "millions" was unqualified to have an opinion on music. This is laughable, and a prime example of Credentialism- a form of the more familiar ad hominem fallacy.

You seem to have a curious attachment to easily Googleable sales numbers in lieu of any actual knowledge about music... why is that?

And I already proved you wrong on the second point, so you'll probably want to drop it unless you enjoy being reminded of your failures of logic.

As I said, if you're gonna base everything on "verifiable sales figures" then Madonna is better than almost every rock band that ever existed, right? If it doesn't prove she's "better," then what DOES it prove, and why do you think it matters?

You're missing the point- rock music overall is less popular today than in 1997, and has a much smaller share of the market. The Foo Fighters are one of a very small number of rock bands that even make a dent in the popular consciousness anymore, so they can own the space just by virtue of being in it and having a recognizable brand name (not to mention the fact that one guy is still riding Nirvana's coattails). They went from being a medium fish in a big pond, to a big fish in a tiny pond. Remember last year when the Queen movie came out and the band tried to cement themselves as a top tier classic rock band, simply by virtue of there being no competition in 2019? Same deal.

So, you're really gonna double down on that argumentum ad populum, huh? You'll be standing up for this joint next because "MANY MANY people" enjoy it?

[​IMG]

Yowza, somebody needs to brush up on their reading comprehension, too-

"Look like" is comparative, as opposed to "are" which is definitive:

"You look like crap" : you don't look well, as compared to how you normally look
    "You are crap" : you are crap

So, in this context, "look like amateurs" is a colloquial way of saying that X is better than Y, not that Y is definitively amateurish. I hope that clears things up for you.

10. Wound_Up

Wound_Up TDPRI Member

So I look like a douche because I have an opinion that one band is better than another? You look like a douche because you have an opinion that one beer/car/guitar/*insert thing here* is better than another.

See how ignorant that is?

11. Strat Jacket

Strat Jacket Tele-Meister

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  12. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

No, the comment was made because he was being judgmental and critical of music and bands that have proof of being popular and good. To come from out of mainstream and become mainstream just proves it.

Furthermore popularity MUST have some bearing on being good. At some level being popular means you have appealed to some basic requirement in the market. If your job is to make music you like AND make a living from it, your doing good.

If your not good at what you do, it's not likely you'll be popular. Or at least in an enduring way like Nirvanna and Foo Fighters have been.

I too wouldn't rate either especially as my favourites but just cause you dont like them doesnt make them not good.

McDonalds is also good. If not they wouldnt have enduring success. Good for the majority might not be good for you....doesn't make it not good. Good taste, good price, good marketing, good management etc. Good ENOUGH to be enduring, good enough to appeal to a mass market. Good enough to not be niche and fail.

Sorry but anything that has managed to do that is good at some basic level.

Saying otherwise just comes across as typical artistic jealousy with the typical put downs that generates.

awasson likes this.
  13. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I’d tend to agree with your assessment.

14. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I'll buy that for a nickel!

15. krrtlr1

krrtlr1 TDPRI Member

I would love to be able to go into a GC right now. :)

awasson likes this.
  16. JES1

JES1 TDPRI Member

What a fun thread!

For me, it's not any single riff, it's that they're being played all at once, at senselessly high volume. Total cacophony. It's not that I'm annoyed by your wheedly wheedly or your dad riffage, it's that I can't hear anything at all other than their revolting combination at 110db.* I have always appreciated stores that had amp rooms.

Also, I agree with the poster above. I'd love to at least be able to walk into the local mom and pop.

--
    *I swear I almost melted the first time I walked into the guitar section at NAMM. Amazing musicians producing the same misery at 125db instead of 110.

17. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Haha...you're not alone. Slash hates it too.

cyclopean likes this.
  18. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

who's the audience?

play to that

19. Spooky88

Spooky88 TDPRI Member

I saw an ad for a local theatre production company on Craigslist here in Bend Oregon for the “Rock of Ages” musical performing 6 shows at the tower theatre. They needed a second guitar player tor the production that had and could play 6 string electric, acoustic and 12 string acoustic guitar. One of the songs they had listed was “Wanted dead or alive”. I contacted them, they asked for a demo, and I sent them some random 80’s style rock stuff and the complete intro to wanted dead or alive. Most fun I’ve ever had playing guitar on stage by far, the sight reading was a bit tricky though.

SuprHtr and Mexitele Blues like this.
  20. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

After 8 pages, I get the feeling a few people took this thread more seriously than the OP intended...

:rolleyes:

Uncle Bob likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.