Banned from Uber

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tlsmack, Jun 6, 2019.

1. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

I never even had an uber ride. I used uber eats locally no problem. A friend of mine in Medellin, Colombia mentioned she was unable to use ubereats because she had no credit card. I logged on to my account, entered her address, and sent her some food. I was surprised how easy it was. She does not have much money, and I was glad to help her out.

The next time I tried, the order looked like it went through, but a few minutes later was rejected. My account was deactivated. I contacted support asking to reactivate, explaining that I was in USA trying to send food to a friend in Colombia. My account was reactivated, same result, order went through but was rejected a few minutes later, and my account was deactivated.

Support offered me no explanation they just reactivated my account several times. After my third reactivation, I was notified that I had violated the terms of service, and my account could not be reactivated.

I can live without uber, but a warning or explanation seems like it would have been in order.

2. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds like some variant of a money laundering or tax avoidance protection. May have been the bank not Uber flagging it.

3. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

I'd read the terms of service to determine which one, if any, was actually violated.

4. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

it is fraud protection. what you are doing is outside the parameters of how their fraud protection works, so, it shows as fraud and stops the transaction. They may not tell the employees (why they don't know) or they tell the employees not to say as folks MIGHT get all indignant over the 'mistake'....

Maybe venmo her some cash and have her get a prepaid visa and then she can order what she wants when you send her cash... might get her used to doing that too, which can be good.

Torren61 and nojazzhere like this.
  5. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I think it might have something to do with preventing money laundering too.
    Either that or she didn't like the food and sent it back which annoyed them.

It's a bummer that happened but nice of you to send the food.

A friend of mine has placed a local order for groceries to be sent to me from overseas and had no problems. It might be different rules depending on which country it is.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  6. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Any other friends overseas? You could try the same thing with them and see if it works.

7. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Nice of you to try to help someone out.....kudos.
    Odd that Uber helps prevent financial fraud, but fights tooth and nail to keep sex offenders on their payroll.

8. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Holic

I'd say automatic/computerized red flags went up and the transaction got stalled for review. Think about it from a computer's perspective: it knows (via its programming) to catch a international transaction for food. Your human customer service dude lifts the restriction, but the computer just goes back to default.

9. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

What you're doing has got to trip all kinds of fraud alerts.

To them it looks like someone in Colombia stole your credit card and/or account.

nojazzhere likes this.
  10. D'tar

D'tar Tele-Afflicted

How dare you try and feed a hungry human in another country!

11. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

I guess my main annoyance is that Uber reactivated my account several times, with no warning about what caused the issue. We found a Colombian based app called" Rappi" that works fine for my purposes.

I get the money laundering angle/ fraud angle. But my bank verified the transactions via text message, Uber has chosen to ban me.

Torren61 likes this.
  12. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Holic

I signed up the day my son got married as I intended to do some drinking. Scheduled a pickup hours in advance. Canceled it still hours in advance as I was offered a ride from a fellow guest. Went to use it months later and discovered I was banned. Doesn’t hurt my feelings.

13. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Meister

I had to alert our credit card company about illegitimate charges on our credit card to Uber Eats. Obviously, someone got our number and used it for that... about several months ago. Interesting.

14. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

Transactions originating in the US, for services in Columbia - yeah, money laundering and fraud alert red flags all over the place.

International transactions from a non-business account may only go through once - from that point be flagged.

Torren61 likes this.
  15. cnlbb

cnlbb Tele-Afflicted

Funny thing about these companies is that they're replacing traditional services, but unlike traditional services you can be mysteriously banned and never able to access them again without ever even being provided a reason. It's like some guy in Prague warned us about this s***.

Toadtele, Torren61 and tlsmack like this.
  16. getbent

¡down with uber, long live rappi!

17. getbent

you mean like the soup n@zi in new york?

18. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

The funny thing I discovered while researching Uber bans online, is that Uber is technically illegal in Colombia, but everyone uses it. So uber knowingly circumvents Colombian taxi regulations, but bans me for "laundering" $6.00 worth of chicken wings to a person who works 6 days a week and earns about $350 a month.

Chunkocaster and Torren61 like this.
  19. getbent

ahh yes, can the criminal of a criminal actually be a criminal. When one deigns to select the moniker 'uber' it is done as a means of declaring dominion... essentially, the name is a big dry hump to the traveling world while its chief competitor, Lyft (rule 1374 in the getbent life rule book violation--> never buy goods or services from companies that knowingly misspell their own name.) But, Lyft has its own 'dog dominance' naming issues... so, it is probably best to get on your ebike, ride the hilly streets of Santa Marta and deliver the pupusa's on your own... no threat of violation or cancellation.

20. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

I am cracking up, as I just returned from Santa Marta! I did not get around to the pupusas, but did enjoy mucho salchilpapas, ClubColombias and a few mojito agaves

getbent likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.