1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Banjo Upgrades, Am I on The Right Track???

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by magicfingers99, Sep 5, 2019.

1. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

Need some input from the craftsman around here. I'm not really technical, often have problems figuring out which end of the screwdriver is the business end...

I was recently given a banjo, which was a nice gesture, I think they must have heard my guitar playing and wanted me to do somethin else.

I don't play banjo, so I want to convert it to a guitar, I think if I just take the neck off and put a guitar neck on there, and then take the body off and put a guitar body on there and then throw away the strings and get some real guitar strings. I can accomplish the conversion.

Does this sound like the correct order to do things, or is there a different technique I should pursue in modifying the banjo.

it looks like this
    upload_2019-9-5_10-14-44.jpeg

and I want to convert it to look like this:
    upload_2019-9-5_10-15-56.jpeg

its pretty heavy, it might have some tone wood I can salvage out of the banjo and make picks or something out of.

well let me know if you've done something like this and how long it takes and how much work and money is involved, so I can figure out whether to pursue this course of action or just use it for a canoe paddle or something.

Wildcard_35 and Chunkocaster like this.
  2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

deleted

3. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

They certainly make better canoe paddles than electric guitars. If the neck is mahogany, it will make a better end-table. If it is maple, it is much better suited to a butcher block.

Random1643 likes this.
  4. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

First off, big, big mistake letting anyone know you have a banjo or have been anywhere near one. Are you prepared to change your username to banjofingers?

Those guys are like rabbits, yeah, let one in the door and before you know it, you got four of 'em and half a dozen or more guitar players ready, wiling and able to foist off their banjo adventure on you.

I once let it slip that I knew the clawhammer, I'd been baptized in the open back and wham-slama-lama, I was the recipient of three banjos, none of which should have seen the light of day, let alone be subjected to my buffalo fingered frailing.

Best just lock it up in a case with some floaties attached and send it down the Chattahoochee.

5. magicfingers99

I think the neck is made out of tonewood, is that the same as mahogany or something else, I always thought mahogany meant you stayed married to the same woman until one of you killed the other, but that might be monogamy, now that I think about it.

thanks for the tip. I'll look around for a lumber jack to figure out what kind of wood we got here...

Wildcard_35 and sonicsmitty like this.
  6. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Sounds like you are on the right track with your upgrading plans. Now if we just could do something like that
    with accordions.

7. magicfingers99

yer probably right, sounds like you got some experience. I feel kinda bad though, I already invested 7$ in a set GHS extra light boomers for it and was looking forward to tryin out "comfortably numb" on it...
    oh well..win some, lose some.

Wildcard_35 and teletimetx like this.
  8. Bluetelecaster

Bluetelecaster Tele-Holic

To late I'm already here. Ha. Played one for over 40 yrs. If the banjo he gave you is the model in the pic, that is about a $2000.00 banjo. Not the best pro grade banjo but nothing you would want to booger up with a guitar neck. Sell it and buy a banjatar another Telecaster.

howardlo, Random1643 and GibbyTwin like this.
  9. magicfingers99

yeah but the black gitar is worth about 2.7 million, so it would be worth the work, if it can be done, plus the tone improvement is significant I'm told.

I suppose I could do a double neck sort of thing, but I don't know if anybody would be happy with that sort of thing, kind like wrestling with a python while you got a mouse in your shorts, but as long as it will play comfortabley numb and deliverance without changing instruments, I could maybe see the extra work..

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  10. Bluetelecaster

You'll have to build a neck to fit. Regular guitar neck won't work. Really if you're better off to sell it. But hey give it a shot.

11. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

Why does everyone hate a banjo right off?
    Saves time:twisted::)

Random1643 likes this.
  12. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

as a former Blue Grass picker... a Mastertone I might say... I love the banjo... and no ya cannot just screw a guitar neck to the banjo's "pot"... ya just can't...not without major re-engineering...

Do this. getcha a copy of Earl Scruggs book...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0634060422/?tag=tdpri-20

if you're religious.. in a month or two. you will be knocking out Cripple Creek, and you will be hooked.... next up.. the theme from Bonnie 'n Clyde, then Deliverance. .. and you will be glad ya didn't it screwup the banjo..

This is me n my fat azz in the early 70's. and my Television production van behind me... Man! I wasn't even 30 then... is that possible? :eek:

rk

PICT1052.jpeg

13. Bluetelecaster

Sweet RB 250 !! Had a about 4 of those over the years. Best banjo I ever owned was the old parts banjo I bought off Marc Pruett that he used on the Bluegrass rules album.

14. magicfingers99

can that neck be modified to put a shotgun barrel inside instead of a truss rod, I could see how that might be handy if someone took a an attitude about some of your playin, it could get one out of a tight situation sort of Quinton Tarintino style..

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  15. magicfingers99

well that's why I was thinkin, just use a regular guitar neck and then swap out the banjo body for a regular guitar body and then the neck would mate up perfectly and then just get some regular old guitar strings and a guitar strap and some guitar pedals and an amp and that old banjo would pay some sweet pink floyd and nobody would really know you were playing a banjo at all...

Bluetelecaster likes this.
  16. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Just fit some strat shaped wings on it and glue some single coils on. Then hit it with a can of satin black. Job done.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  17. Ronkirn

here's what ya gotta do.. first the neck would have to be one with a heel much like on an acoustic.. then ya have to sculpt it so it fits the shape of the side of the Banjo rim... then ya have to fit a "tenon" into the heel secure enough to be structural, and make it long enough to go through the pot to the other side on the inside, OR some banjos use two mounting rods/screws that go across the inside of the pot, screwed into the heel again, secure enough to become structurally secure...

so it can be done... but its not an entry level project.. assuming ya wanna be able to play it when you're done...

rk

18. magicfingers99

I don't get it??? is that guy with the banjo saying the guy on the cellphone is playing accordion music?

these jokes should come with instructions or somethin....

19. Ronkirn

yep... guys in the threads often ask what's the one ya sold that ya regret the most... my answer.. it wasn't a guitar at all.. damn I miss that rascal...

howardlo likes this.
  20. magicfingers99

thats why it seems like it might be easier to put the banjo neck on a guitar body, and then swap the banjo neck out for a real guitar neck.
    thats what I want when Im done, one of them black strat gitars like Steve Gilmour played in the Pinked Floyd.

I just aint sure if you change the neck 1st or the body 1st, i don't want to do no sawing on account I get carried away and most stuff winds up being a bird whistle or a wind chime by the time I clean it up with my pocket knife.

but appreciate the input, I'm gonna look inside that banjo and see where the music is stored, maybe that will point me in the right direction.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.