Bandsaw Resaw Sled for smallish logs

eallen

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
When I stepped up to bandsaw with a 13"+ resaw my old method of dealing with logs & odd items seemed a bit limiting. Even more so with a burl I shared a couple weeks ago on "What's on your work bench".

I came up with a sled to better accommodate larger dimensions based off a conglomeration of others out there & some self massaging. Unlike the many jig gurus here who astound me with jig quality, my guitars fortunately are generally more tidy than my jigs. The nice thing about this jig is that I made it from one single 2'x8'x3/4" half sheet of plywood. I still need to add a more precise mode of adjustment between cuts but it was definitely a start in the right direction.

While this particular 14" Jet saw is listed as 13" resaw I found that by removing a single bolt that serves as a stop for no apparent reason on the back of the guide bar the resaw increased to a full 14"! The result is the ability to resaw a 14" diameter by 4' log on a 14" bandsaw using the jig, or a 1/3 of a crazily shaped burl in this case.

Perhaps someone else can benefit, and several cross my mind I am confident can improve on it!

Eric

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
That works great! Nice jig.

And I don't say that to just any dude.

;)

Rub some paste wax on the bottom surface of the jig (miter bar too), as well as the bandsaw's table, and buff it off. It will blow your mind how much smoother it will float past the blade.

eallen

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Looks good. I'd build an outfeed table and get a decent sized push stick handyso you don't have to lean in there.

Dead on on, I attached a temporary outfeed after the video. In the end I can see an outfeed with a movable vertical stand on the inside of the blade that allows the removed piece to lean to the side as the blade exits with no need to catch it or reach in. A lot of exposed area on a 14 inches of 3/4" blade to bite a guy with.

That works great! Nice jig.

And I don't say that to just any dude.

;)

Rub some paste wax on the bottom surface of the jig (miter bar too), as well as the bandsaw's table, and buff it off. It will blow your mind how much smoother it will float past the blade.

Thanks & good suggestion! I paste wax my other tools & forgot on this one. It also helps reduce light surface rust from happening.

Eric

Last edited: