1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

bandsaw issues

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by funkymann1, Nov 20, 2014.

1. funkymann1

funkymann1 Tele-Holic

heres whats going on....
    she works fine when im cutting anything less then an inch thick....
    Im using an Olson 6tpi blade which should be good enough for bodies....
    just seems i have to go slow or the blade stops....it cuts...but for a 14 inch delta i expected it to saw better then it is....the blade is new & ive tryed other blades & its the same so im not at all impressed with the top brand blades as i see no difference...
    now i expect this when going down around the horns but just trying to do the sides of a strat or tele cut out it should fly no?
    not sure if im just spoiled from the gigantic powermatic i sometimes get to use at the carpenters mill at work....

2. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's

Not sure what you mean when you say you have to go slow.....how slow?

Also, when you say the blade stops, is the blade slipping on the wheel? Belt slipping?

It doesn't sound normal.

3. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

If the blade is slipping, try tensioning it up more. As paratus said, you might also check the tension on the drive belt. I'd try a lower tpi blade, in the 3 -4 range. If it's a newer saw, it probably has a 3/4hp motor which wouldn't be my choice for resawing, but for bodies it should be fine.

4. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

If the blade is stopping and the bottom wheel is turning, your blade will be tearing up your bottom tire. I'd bet your drive belt is loose and needs to be tightened. Check out the tire on your bottom wheel to make sure it is OK. You don't want to over tension your blade.

Does the blade stop during straight cuts, or in curves or if you feed too fast? Lubricating your blade is a good thing to do, and will prolong blade life. Just spray some non-stick cooking oil i.e. Pam on a paper towel. Hold the towel so that both sides of the blade are covered and spin one of the wheels by hand until you have covered the entire blade with a thin coat of non-stick oil. Do this before you start each time you use your saw, and it will reduce heat, and prolong blade life.

5. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Make sure the pulleys are tight on the shafts too. I have a 30 year old delta with probably the same motor and it doesn't stall unless I'm cutting 4" maple with a dull blade.

6. VintageMike

VintageMike TDPRI Member

Is the tire slipping on the bottom wheel? I mean is the wheel turning from the power of the motor and belt but the tire is stationary because of the tension you have set? You may need new tires. Carter makes replacements that you soak in warm/hot water then slip on. Then they dry out and shrink tight onto wheel.

7. funkymann1

funkymann1 Tele-Holic

opened up the bottom 2 covers & the belt was so loose i cant even believe it cut what it did...loosed the 4 bolts & tightened it & now its cutting like buttah!!!!
    Thanks!!!

8. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

Nice! I love it when it's something simple and easy :D

9. VintageMike

VintageMike TDPRI Member

..and cheap or free.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.