1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Bandsaw dust collection?

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by thecableguy, Dec 3, 2015.

1. thecableguy

thecableguy Friend of Leo's

So I love my new old bandsaw. It works great.

[​IMG]

So far I've been rolling it outside because it throws out a hellish amount of dust when resawing tops. It just has a little useless dust port just below the table that doesn't do much. I've seen a few ideas on the Internet on how to improve the collection efficiency such as adding a port to the lower blade cover. Anyone here have any great ideas?

2. BluesBlooded

BluesBlooded Friend of Leo's

I have a bandsaw with the dust port on the cover of the lower blade wheel and I don't find it very efficient. I get saw dust all over the place anyway. IM interested to see how other deal with this.

3. thecableguy

Yeah it does pretty much nothing. Seems like the majority of the dust shoots right past it and flies out the back.

4. thecableguy

I was researching different ways of doing this and I came across a YouTube video where the guy put a dust port on the lower blade cover. He did some before and after tests and it looks like his method works very well. I went ahead and modded my saw. Have had a chance to test it yet but I'll report back when I do.

[​IMG]

5. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

I've had that same saw for a couple of decades plus.... A great tool but yeah...dust everywhere.

6. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

The dust port on mine is exactly the size of a vacuum cleaner hose, and I think that's what it's for, it was in the manual as I remember, but it won't suck out all the dust inside, plus there will be a lot of dust on that table thing.

7. thecableguy

It's a fantastic saw Marty. Especially with the riser block and Carter bearing guides.
    Yeah it's kind of an odd size. It's totally useless.

8. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

The one on mine is the size of a home vacuum cleaner tube (I have a really small bandsaw), the other ones are probably the size of an industrial unit hose.

9. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire

I have a 4" dust port on the back of the housing for the lower wheel on my bandsaw , it works but there is still a fair amount of saw dust that gets away from it , compared to not turning on the dust collector though it does work pretty good .

10. thecableguy

Anything will be better than my shop vac attached to the puny port on the front. I've also seen where guys use a Y adapter and run a hose to the large bottom port and a second one to the front. I might do that later if the one port isn't good enough.

11. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My little Delta has a 2 1/2" port right behind the bottom wheel. It fits the larger size shop vac hoses, but I got an adapter to hook it to the 4" hose of my cyclone, and it pulls quite a bit of the dust out. I think the configuration, shape, etc. of bandsaws makes them hard to extract the dust completely.

12. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I extract the dust from my bandsaw with a piece of pvc pipe about 2" diameter with a top on it and about a 3rd of the section cut out and placed close to the blade as it goes through the table. It works well and I'd estimate it grabs about 80-90% but always a bit floating around. Just heading out now, I'll try to take a photo tomorrow for you.

DC

13. thecableguy

This seems to have worked quite well. I just started cutting up some sapele for laminated neck blanks and there's virtually no dust left behind. Huge improvement.

[​IMG]

14. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Sawdust collection

Managed to get some pix of my set-up this morning. Added a mod of a small brush to just brush the sawdust up into the suction section of the pvc sucker thingy. It doesn't get it all but a lot more than no extraction at all according to the heap in the bottom of my shop vac drum.

Forgot to mention this adaptor is fitted to the bottom cover of the saw.

DC

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.