1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Bands where you could replace everybody but the frontman and nobody would notice.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 3-Chord-Genius, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Jimi Earl

Jimi Earl TDPRI Member

Not shallow bayou drivel but genius songwriting with mass listener appeal and commercial success. Stellar inventive guitar work. Give credit where credit is due!

2. WashParkBob

WashParkBob TDPRI Member

Hendrix (obvious)
    Bowie (many bands)
    Stevie Ray (good band but could be replaced)
    Clapton (many bands)
    Dire Straights
    I guess tons of folks we now consider solo artists that started with bands...Janis, etc.

3. daddyplaysbass

daddyplaysbass Tele-Afflicted

Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs

4. telejnky

telejnky Tele-Meister

I think the album centerfield refutes that. It sounded like a ccr record to me

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
  5. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

-John Fogerty, 1997 (quoted in "Up Around The Bend" by Craig Werner, page 117)

There was never any legal reason Fogerty couldn't invoke the spirit of Creedence or perform the songs live, what he was sued for was copyright infringement against a song he wrote but no longer owned (a suit which he successfully defended against in court, and changed legal precedent in the process). Fogerty's recent activities put his CCR legacy front and center, which indicates that he's well aware of the respective values of the CCR catalog and his solo work. Which is fair enough, not many artists can claim a body of work as impressive as the one Fogerty produced in just under three years with Creedence Clearwater Revival.

6. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

99% of the audience just listens to the lyrics and melody. And maybe think it has a good beat. If the visuals are entertaining, they are done right there.

7. Telebra

Telebra Tele-Meister

Howbow Yoko Ono replacing ALL the Beatles except John Lennon.

8. tomi

tomi Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I just got chills imagining Eric Burdon singing "Gimme Shelter."

9. Netty

Netty TDPRI Member

The recording methods made a big difference, true...Im not sure if that is a problem or part of the charm of those old records? Its not a problem for me as there is such a thing as 'too slick',imho. Having said that, JF's solo work didnt alienate me bc it was well recorded.
    It's almost unquantifiable what CCR as a band brought to the table. Some songs sounded 'live' due to Clifford's drumming. Born On The Bayou...and Grapevine come to mind. Even "Sweet Hitch'a-hikah" a concise pop song has those great fills.

10. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Something just occurred to me: has anyone mentioned Nirvana? Dave Grohl was already their 4th drummer and although he's good he's not distinctive enough to be irreplaceable. The bass player, even less so. Nirvana was really a Kurt Cobain solo project.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.