1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Bands that still made good music after their "golden era"?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Heavy Formvar, May 6, 2020.

1. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

No one in my opinion. It's probably a bell curve. Creativity, originality and quality probably get better until it reaches a peak or plateaus then there is either a gradual or precipitous drop. Sure, there might be some magic left to produce a jewel or two after the creative peak but the consistency sure isn't there.
    Plus, I think all but the most die hard fans lose their interest and have moved on to different (not necessarily newer or contemporary) music. Tastes change.

2. Bonhoeffer

Bonhoeffer TDPRI Member

IMO Steve Hackett keeps getting better. His most recent album At the Edge of Light is absolutely masterful, possibly his strongest studio album. And if anything his guitar playing is more intricate, artistic and sublime.

Last edited: May 13, 2020
    nojazzhere likes this.
  3. Heavy Formvar

Heavy Formvar TDPRI Member

I have to agree. Very few keep making good music after their success period is over. Thats what I actually menat by golden era, thats why I wondered when someone mentioned the Stones here.
    Their golden era/success era (the same for me) was from 65 (I cant get no) to 77 (Miss U) or maybe 81 (Tattoo U)...after that they still tried to adapt but their 80s stuff just doesnt do it for me.
    Many other rock bands like Fleetwood Mac or Queen lost their direction in the 80s, similar to the Stones. Fleetwood went from blues rock (Peter Green) to pop (Rumours) to synth pop (Sweet Little Lies). Queen had a similar curve downfall after NOTW.

4. kburty

kburty TDPRI Member

Nick has been SO consistent. He's a rockin' pop genius. I'm still discovering new tunes of his, and they never disappoint.

5. ELET Henry

ELET Henry Tele-Meister

Jeff Beck. The guy just doesn’t cease to amaze me, he just gets better and better.

6. Daddy Hojo

Daddy Hojo Friend of Leo's

My wife and I were streaming an Amazon music channel based on the Animals the other day. The later stuff was just kind of sad as they tried to add the popular studio effects of the time (loads of chorus) and it just sounded awful.

7. mmannaxx

mmannaxx Tele-Meister

Tom Petty, John Hiatt, Chris Hillman, Steely Dan, Dwight Yoakam, John Fogerty, Linda Ronstadt, Mike Nesmith, Vince Gill, Paul McCartney, Doobie Brothers, Allmann Brothers, Rodney Crowell, Van Morrison, Nick Lowe, Elvis Costello, John Prine

brookdalebill and Bonhoeffer like this.
  8. Bonhoeffer

Bonhoeffer TDPRI Member

I agree with TOOM and everything he's done since. But honestly I love every era of Dylan. His sometimes mocked "Christian period" is actually fantastic. Even Down in the Groove had some great songs (Silvio, Death is Not the End, Shenandoah) although I confess it's the Dylan album I listen to the least. However as great as his early albums were - Bringing It All Back Home, Highway 61 Revisited and the astonishing Blonde on Blonde, all released in an 18 month period - I think his more recent albums are incredible and frankly what I listen to more than his earlier work. Starting with Oh Mercy, then his two standout solo acoustic albums (Good as I Been to You and World Gone Wrong), and then followed by the amazing Time Out of Mind, Love and Theft, Modern Times (possibly my favorite), Tempest - if anything the man is better, his lyrics are going deeper and the musicians playing with him are top notch as well. I also think his trilogy "uncoverings" of American standards - Shadows in the Night, Fallen Angels, Triplicate - are imaginative and exhibit his great vocal skills (yes I'm serious). And in about a month he's releasing a new album, Rough and Rowdy Ways, that I'm sure will once again dive deep into Americana music and rework and reimagine as only he can.

9. dbwindhorst

dbwindhorst TDPRI Member

Can't believe it took seven pages of this topic for someone to point out the obvious.

:>)

dw

10. dsjam

dsjam TDPRI Member

Television - Their 1992 album was some of their best work.

11. Mississippi Joh

Mississippi Joh NEW MEMBER!

New poster here. Great thread!

Not sure how much 'air-time' he gets in the USA, but Canadian great Bruce Cockburn has been producing terrific guitar-based music since 1970. His late 1990s albums 'The Charity of Night' and 'Breakfast in New Orleans...' are monster albums. He mixes incredibly adept acoustic fingerstyle with tasteful, blazing electric guitars depending on the song, and always has a top knotch band in the studio. Even his 2019 instrumental 'Crowes'(?) released at age 73 is well worth a listen.

Bonhoeffer likes this.
  12. horsespatoot

horsespatoot Tele-Holic

0E479AD8-39DB-4B3D-923B-1F6E5FCF0CE3.jpeg 23CA8709-8C79-41D6-914C-C3242AD955B2.jpeg AA2ADDB5-6B6A-4911-B018-8FCA37AB4647.jpeg Beatles
    Sept 1964 Kansas City.
    I still have my ticket stub and a couple time stamped “Polaroid Swinger” blk/wht photos I took.
    Check out minimal staging. Sound was directly from their amps.
    Couldn't hear an effing thing for the screaming girls.

IMadeYouReadThis and Bonhoeffer like this.
  13. Doomguy

Doomguy Tele-Meister

Alice in Chains. I listened to all their old stuff with my dad as a kid but when Black Gives Way to Blue came out we were both mind blown. Layne's death is terrible but AiC's new doomier direction has been fantastic. Major props to those guys.

The NOLA sludge band Eyehategod's last few singles and album have been fantastic as well, even though the record Take As Needed for Pain is probably their peak.

cdwillis likes this.
  14. BoTheMan

BoTheMan TDPRI Member

Wishbone Ash has never gone away... though they had some years "in the wilderness" musically.
    The output since 2006 has been top notch. The latest album from this year is really good.

15. gavvino

gavvino TDPRI Member

The Stones - they had 3 eras, all great in their own way. The Jones era, The Mick Taylor era, and the Ronnie era. And they just keep rockin'.

16. jdkr

jdkr TDPRI Member

Jeff Beck, yes!
    Bill Nelson of Be Bop Deluxe fame who, to this day, keeps putting out amazing music.
    Peter Gabriel
    Adrian Belew
    Bill Frisell maybe not a golden age overcome but a consistently interesting and innovative player throughout the years.

17. dickey

dickey Friend of Leo's

Bruce
    Emerson,Lake & Palmer
    Are 2 that come to mind.

18. aadvark

aadvark Tele-Meister

Robert Plant - really retains his dignity...

suthol and Bonhoeffer like this.
  19. Yuro

Yuro Tele-Meister

Wow. Really? I saw him a few years ago with that fantastic female bassist. She was terrific.

He was "virtuoso" and "flawless" and utterly dull IMHO. There was no presence...just going through the, admittedly advanced, motions. I'd rather see a lesser band out there really trying than someone who is bored with the whole thing and collecting checks. I've seen several other critically-acclaimed "guitar player's guitar players" that have not give much to the audience. They don't put a finger wrong all night, but who cares? I'd rather watch a good band in a blues bar or something.

Here's an exception....Tab Benoit...Plays a Tele too! Great show every time...I've seen him 4 or 5 times. I think he was a newborn in the 70's though.

20. DaRev

DaRev NEW MEMBER!

Jeff Beck.

cdwillis and GFrank like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.