1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Bands that still made good music after their "golden era"?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Heavy Formvar, May 6, 2020.

1. yojimbo

yojimbo Tele-Meister

i think Tattoo You was the last GREAT RS record, ramshackle affair that it is. also, i think Blue and Lonesome is their best release since.

2. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

With Steppin Out Joe Jackson peaked but his last three albums were strong and signalled a comeback.

3. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

The Blockheads. Lyrically, there have been some very high points. Not as consistently good as with Ian, but good nonetheless. Musically, it's The Blockheads. That genius hasn't faded at all.
    Motorhead. Overkill, Bomber & Ace Of Spades aren't the be all and end all of Motorhead.
    Killing Joke. Not sure they ever had a defined golden era. Strong albums all along.
    Richard Thompson. Nary a dud.
    Elvis Costello. Consistently interesting, even if he doesn't get the airplay.
    Iron Maiden.
    Rory Gallagher. Another choice where the golden era is tricky to define.

Some bands have been hit and miss post glory years. UFO for example. The first couple of albums with Tonka stand well. The reunion with Michael followed a strong album with a silly name ( High Stakes & Dangerous Men ) with a masterpiece ( Walk On Water ) when Michael, Paul Raymond and Andy Parker were at the helm. Something of a curates egg at times.
    Hawkwind. Personal choice dictates the Lemmy albums signalled the glory years. There have been strong albums since, much good music. Some tripe.

Antmax likes this.
  4. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Exactly! I always say - I can't think of anyone else whose music later in life is better than their earlier stuff. And I loved his early stuff.

brookdalebill likes this.
  5. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Afflicted

Ry Cooder has been making great music for many, many years.
    I can't think of a single CD he has made that wan't good and several are in my top ten list.
    He is among a very small group of musicians I would pay to see.
    Others are Los Lobos and Leo Kottke.

Mark

elihu, rjtwangs and ocduff like this.
  6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Steve Earle
    Lyle Lovett
    Rodney Crowell
    Ray Wylie Hubbard
    Willie Nelson

bunch a dern Texans!

7. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, to the Dude Looks like a Lady album (Permanent Vacation?). Saw them on that tour and they were great - I think it was one of the few times that they were sober too. Joe Perry was a monster. Guns and Roses opened for them on the Appetite for Destruction tour. So it was a great show all around.

No, to what they did after that. I saw them on the next two tours in the '90s and by the last show the audience was mostly teen girls and they were doing a bunch of pop ballads. Horrible.

mugen74 likes this.
  8. johnniegoat

johnniegoat Tele-Meister

9. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Rolling Stones, Rush, Pink Floyd, Cheap Trick - you guys are killing me. All were beloved bands for me once and they've all stunk since the early '80s. Just thinking about post-Waters Floyd and keyboard based Rush is making my stomach turn. Next someone's gonna say '80s Genesis and I'm officially gonna flip out.

[​IMG]

10. Smokin OP

Smokin OP Tele-Afflicted

Ricky Skaggs
    Marty Stuart
    Chris Hillman
    Dwight Yoakum

brookdalebill, Wobbles and rjtwangs like this.
  11. yojimbo

yojimbo Tele-Meister

no doubt. Billy Duffy is one of the tastiest hard rock players of that era, and he hasn't slowed down a bit.

johnniegoat likes this.
  12. SAguitar

SAguitar Tele-Meister

Merle Haggard. He rode that train all the way home.

13. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

Robert Palmer.

Unfortunately, most people don’t know anything (before or after) “Addicted to Love” (which was a great era for him, considering I don’t like a lot of 80’s stuff)...his early NOLA-influenced stuff was great, his rocked-up pop, then “Riptide” and the Power Station discs—all good...

But he kept making good albums.
    IMHO, his last (I think) album, Drive, was as good as anything he made earlier.

14. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I've only got 'Sneakin' Sally Through The Alley' It has to be a high point of sorts for him. The Meters,Lowell George, Alan Toussaint and Simon Phillips backing him, it had to be good. It couldn't be anything but with that cast. I must explore his catalogue further.

Phrygian77 likes this.
  15. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Holic

Opinions are opinions so I’m not arguing or saying I’m right and you’re wrong, but I gotta go with no on this one. I’ll give them up to Permanent Vacation as mentioned previously, maybe even through Pump, but once What It Takes became big, all they did was write that song over and over again.

jh

16. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic

One more from me: Tom Petty. You could say the Heartbreakers’ “golden era” was up to Southern Accents, probably. Dude never produced a bad album, till the day he died.

Still, Damn the Torpedoes is the one.

17. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic

Agree to disagree, on both counts. To me, Tattoo You is just a mess of leftovers. If I never hear Start Me Up again, it’ll be too soon. I really like the mellow side 2 though.

And I just found Blue and Lonesome disappointing. Tonally, it’s all just one palate. Every track sounded like it was recorded with the same guitars, same amps, same everything. It could have been so much more... exciting.

18. yojimbo

yojimbo Tele-Meister

i think that's why i liked it. the live feel of the recording is a big plus for me.

Hatfield92 and Fiesta Red like this.
  19. ab2012

ab2012 Tele-Holic

Classic rock radio stations have probably hurt many of these people mentioned. You won’t hear any new material from people like Plant,Springsteen or the Stones among others on these stations which is why I listen to public radio or independent radio.

Bonhoeffer, Hatfield92 and yojimbo like this.
  20. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

I actually like the Mudcrutch stuff he was doing in his last couple of years better than anything he'd done since the early '80s.

Durtdog and Hatfield92 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.