Bands or Artists From Your Hometown or Someplace You've Lived

Cpb2020

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I guess I should add a few more, as they all lived where I grew up (a small island off the eastern coast of the US) at one time or another in their lives, some of them briefly.
- George Harrison
- Keith Richards
- Gene Simmons
- Christina Aguilera
- Wu-Tang Clan
- Joan Baez
- Vernon Reid
- Kasim Sultan
- Bobby Darin
- A.J. Pero (Twisted Sister)
- Vito Bratta (White Lion)
- Ron"Bumblefoot" Thal (Guns N' Roses)
- The Force M.D.s

Slip Kid

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I’m from and live in the New Haven, CT area. The Carpenters, Michael Bolton and Liz Phair were born in New Haven. The Five Satins are also from New Haven and recorded the ‘50’s classic “In the Still of the Night” in a local church basement.

The jazz clarinetist Artie Shaw also grew up in New Haven and relative of mine, who was also a professional jazz musician, went to high school with him.

John Mayer is from Fairfield which is 30 minutes or so away. Tina Weymouth and Chris Franz from The Talking Heads I believe also currently live in Fairfield.

Jim Oblon, currently playing guitar for Lucinda Williams (and previously for Paul Simon, as well as recording with Jim Keltner and Ribbentrop Ford), is from Wallingford which is the next town over from me. He is also a friend of my band mate.

Last edited:

Engine Swap

Friend of Leo's
Literally from somewhere I’ve lived.

Jay Bennett (RIP) was the immediate previous tenant in a house that I rented in Urbana, IL. This was pre-fame - he left a bunch of Ford Falcon parts in the garage.

Bob Womack

Friend of Leo's
Well, let's see...

My cousin, Chet Atkins
Rodney Atkins
Kelsea Ballerini
Brian Bell (Weezer)
Kenny Chesney
Ashley Cleveland
Bruce Hampton
Ashley Monroe
Joseph Patrick Moore
Some gal named Dollie Parton
...and a few more

Oh, and there is my old band mate, Rick Altizer.

Bob

DFB1

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Charlie Benante
Frankie Bello
Joey Tempesta ( drummer for The Cult. Playen in 2 Testament records,shared a practice space with a friend of mine )
Billy Joel,but thankfully he left for Ling Island.
A Rap/ Hip-Hop artist or 2
And a bunch of others. It's s NYC.

knavel

Tele-Holic
It would be my longest post to name them all if I include where I'm from and where I've lived. I'll limit it to my very favorites from each place:

Detroit
The Temptations; The Romantics

Los Angeles
The Doors; Love; The Beach Boys

London
The Kinks, The Small Faces, The Who, The Rolling Stones, The Clash

howlin

Tele-Afflicted
Michael Been of the Call & Barry Oakley are both from the same suburb south of Chicago where I grew up. Some of my friends had Oakley’s mother for a teacher in Jr. High - FWIW.

dustoff pilot

TDPRI Member
Leroy Preston, he grew up in Central Vermont and was the drummer in my cousin's first band. Leroy went on to be a Grammy Award winning song writer and member of the band Asleep At The Wheel. Along with his talent for music he is simply a really nice guy!

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Afflicted
Originally from Glasgow and there's plenty bands/musicians from there.
However, I spent most of my life in Cumbernauld: John Fratelli of the Fratellis is from there and Craig Fergusson who played drums with Peter Capaldi before becoming TV stars.

The jewel in the crown has to be this guy though, Jimmy McCulloch the guitarist from Thunderclap Newman and Wings.

TokyoPortrait

Friend of Leo's
Hi.

Here’s three. Typical of of the quote unquote Dunedin Sound. From, um, Dunedin. In New Zealand.

Quietly (pun intended) influential abroad, with acts like R.E.M., Yo La Tengo, Pavement, Cat Power, etc. all citing being influenced or covering songs.

Pax/
Dean