Bands/Artists you like but sucked in concert?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Twofingerlou, Feb 15, 2021.

1. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Tele-Holic

Blues Traveler. Can't say I loved the band, but loved their "Four" album. Seeing them live, they're a marginally skillful jam band. Boring, uninteresting music. I left in the middle of the extended bass solo about 25 minutes into the concert, after a crappy rendition of Sublime's "What I Got."

Wasn't going to sit through 2 hours of that tripe, to hear "Hook" and "Run Around." Not money well spent.

2. hepular

hepular Tele-Afflicted

walked out on him after 2 songs at Hard Rock in Vegas (tickets were free from interbike). Shop owner, who really likes thorogood, asked me how it was--& i said, imagine sloppy bar band with lame singer who thinks he's the s**t

regularslinky likes this.
  3. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Actually I have seen Los Lobos several times over the years, but when I saw them the last time (2019) I thought the same thing. Something was missing. Sorta tired.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
    philpm likes this.
  4. Bill Sheehan

Bill Sheehan Tele-Holic

I've always been a Chicago fan, but I think they're down to just three of the original members now. The newer guys are supremely competent, mind you, but after a while something is lost after all these years. It's bad of me to even say that, because they're really something special still. I guess we tend to latch on to a certain "iteration" of our favorite bands, and we maybe become less enthusiastic as they evolve and re-configure. With me, I'll admit I'm kinda stuck in the Terry Kath days!

5. BerkshireDuncan

BerkshireDuncan Tele-Meister

I saw (some of) Paul Weller in Hyde Park.

My then Brother-in-Law's diva girlfriend made us REALLY late getting dressed, doing her makeup, doing her hair, insisting she knew London short-cuts like a cabbie, etc. So we got there late, then wasted another 30 minutes queueing for an overpriced warm beer, then to cap it all the Modfather very nearly walked because of the bottles of p1ss landing onstage.

Only consolation was B-i-L had bought us the tickets.

6. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Van Morrison. Maybe 15 years ago. He came out, sang, and left. Never said one single word to the audience. Not even Hello. Nothing. Diick.

Dire Straits, in their 80s heyday. They played and sounded fantastic. But it was the equivalent of listening to the record.

Rickie Lee Jones. A long time ago. She was off in outer space noodling around. We walked out.

NigeG and Twofingerlou like this.
  7. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Afflicted

I saw Bonamassa on his way up. His speed reminded me of Eric Johnson. I walked away thinking he wasn't going to amount to much.

Bill Sheehan and Esquire Jones like this.
  8. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Blues Traveler & Foghat. I get sick of Popper's harmonica, despite his talent, and with Foghat, I find the slide tiresome. And loud.

nickmsmith and Twofingerlou like this.
  9. Esquire Jones

Esquire Jones Tele-Meister

My very first rock show was Steppenwolf and Ted Nugent. I remember communal joints being passed around the audience. I remember Ted, in a loin cloth, swinging from a rope (a la Tarzan) with his big Gibson strapped on his back. But mostly I remember how painfully loud the show was.

10. Esquire Jones

Esquire Jones Tele-Meister

I remember seeing George a few times and he was great. The last time he had put on a few pounds and he ripped his leather pants right down the middle and he was super sloppy.

11. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Stones. Steel Wheels tour, I believe around 1989 in Vancouver BC. I don't blame them though, the arena was just too damn big to sound good. Funny thing is I was 19 at the time and thought I better go see them before they retire...:cry:

12. Lotek

Lotek Tele-Meister

I saw Bob Dylan, I think it was 1988. Yeah, hurts to say but He could not have been less interested in being there.

Bruxist and Twofingerlou like this.
  13. Throttleneck

Throttleneck Tele-Afflicted

This my experience with them exactly. I was so excited to see them and it was a super short concert with 0 energy.

14. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's

Had floor seats to his show on the Penetrator tour ('84-'85?). It was insanely loud even then. Caught him a year or so later at the 'Texxas Jam,' and same deal there iirc... louder than anyone else on that year's bill (and it included Scorpions, Dio, & Deep Purple iirc)

15. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

Caveat: I wouldn't say any of these bands sucked live--a lot of it had to do with the venue.

I saw Jon Spencer Blues Explosion at a tiny, but popular club in town. The opening band was amazing, but loud. JSBX was even louder and after what felt like a 20 minute theremin solo, I left.

I saw Death Cab for Cutie with Franz Ferdinand at an indoor convention center-type venue. The sound was bad, everyone was too loud, but Franz Ferdinand at least had the energy to back up being that loud. I might have enjoyed Death Cab if they weren't so loud.

And finally, I saw the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Primus, and Pearl Jam at an indoor arena with notoriously bad sound. Again, RHCP and Primus were just loud. They had a lot of energy, but you couldn't really tell one song from the other. Pearl Jam made the venue work though, and despite the bad sound still managed to put on a great show.

Twofingerlou likes this.
  16. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Afflicted

That could have been it, I really don't know. But I do know he played Fred Bear, and Aerosmith played Dream On and Kiss played everything. I'm having a real trip down memory lane right here

gregulator450 likes this.
  17. Jerry J

Jerry J Friend of Leo's

I would say a couple stick out: Paul Weller around 2013-14 at the 930 Club in DC. Excellent venue with a top shelf PA system. It was too loud (and I've seen too many LOUD bands). It was also his attitude. He was supporting his new album that sounded like he wanted to be a heavy metal artist. He was pissed at the crowd for wanting to hear just his Style Council and Jam hits. I like Paul, but not this show. I like artists who know what butters their bread - play the damn hits and weave in a few new songs if you must.

Next was Jesus and Mary Chain. The played the entire Psychocandy album for the first half. Then they came out and played other material I wasn't familar with. The guitar playing brother would place his ES-330 in front of his Orange amp and just let it howl at extremely high volumes. Not very melodic.

Then, there's the Grateful Dead, but that could fill volumes for me... Just kidding, you deadheads. Just not my cup of tea.

Twofingerlou likes this.
  18. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave Tele-Meister

Some Black Label Society gig in Hammersmith.
    No idea what was going on with the PA, but there was so much midrange obnoxiously cranked, that it physically hurt.
    Zakk Wylde spent 2 hours hero-worshipping himself and pretending to be dangerous, and the audience consisted of blokes pretending to be a chapter, because they'd bought a BLS patch made to look like colours.
    I grew up on metal, but this was hilarious.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    Tony Forman likes this.
  19. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

A lot of potential disappointment has to do with expectations.

I was thrilled to go see CCR in the early 70s. Tom Fogarty had quit and they were a three piece. John F. made up for the missing rhythm guitar by playing louder and with much more distortion.

This was not the CCR I went to see. I am the kind of guy who wants to hear the songs I love played in concert the way I love them.

In addition, they did not play my favorite CCR songs, and about 20 minutes of the brief 45 minute set was a BS jam of Keep on Chooglin'. And no encore.

Bill Sheehan and Twofingerlou like this.
  20. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I would say every concert I've seen by The Stone Roses (16 times) ...... but the band were fantastic, it was only ever Ian Brown's voice that was questionable, altogether with the band he is forgivable.

The sloppiest band I ever saw was The Waterboys doing support to The Cure at a Greenpeace gig at the Royal Albert Hall in London. Came on stage, stumbled around drunk as skunks, played about 4 songs and left.

I saw them a couple of years back at the Roundhouse, and they were stunningly good, guess they hadn't hit the sauce that night.

orbit_caster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.