1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Bands/Artists you like but sucked in concert?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Twofingerlou, Feb 15, 2021.

1. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

Smashing Pumpkins - One of the worst live bands I've ever seen. I gave them more than one chance, and they disappointed each time. Corgan couldn't be bothered to sing into the mic, and when he did it was gravelly, off key screeching. Every solo he took was just feedback and noise. The rest of the band phoned it in. And this was during their 90-91 peak.

Soundgarden - Also 90-91. I felt like I was watching a sound check. Zero energy. Chris Cornell tried to pick a fight with someone in the audience. Ben Shepard threw his bass on the floor in disgust about 3/4 of the way through their set and stormed off the stage. Bad night, I guess. The other times I saw them they were incredible.

More recently:

Doobie Brothers - Not really a fan...but hey, y'know..."Classic Rawk!" Whatever. Their all direct-into-the-PA stage setup was just a wall of hiss. I've seen speed metal bands that weren't as loud.

Chicago - They sounded like a cruise ship band covering Chicago.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
    Twofingerlou and regularslinky like this.
  2. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Afflicted

Man, a lot of these bands listed here I've seen and loved the shows, so it goes to show that all bands have off nights or perhaps different strokes for different folks. Interpol and the Strokes were soooo boring. They both played their albums in order from beginning to end note for note, no stage banter. Saw Smashing Pumpkins in 1994 on the Lollapalooza tour and they were horrible. Corrigan's voice was shot, they were sloppy and he spent most of the show ripping on Ted Nugent...this was outside Detroit. I saw a MC5-type reunion in like 2005 and Evan Dando was supposed to sing, but was too messed up, so Mark Arm had to take over.

Twofingerlou likes this.
  3. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Afflicted

Grateful Dead.
    Out of a dozen times, half were boring. The others were fantastic.

Texicaster and Digital Larry like this.
  4. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's

I've seen Los Lobos recently more than any other band except maybe the Mermen as they are just over the hill in Santa Cruz.

I have to agree with you about Louie's demeanor however it's not as though you caught an off night, he's been that way every time I saw them. Conrad and Bugs look like they are having the time of their lives, while David, Cesar and Steve are just "cool" but Louie looks like he interrupted a root canal in progress to make the show. His singing on "Saint Behind the Glass" justifies him being up front, and in the folk set he strums an "I don't know what" (small stringed instrument) effectively.

I recall an interview from long ago prior to the addition of touring drummer/percussionist and Louie made some comments about how he'd always been a guitar player, perhaps indicating that he only took the drum chair under duress. So, I think they got in a better drummer, and they let Louie take an occasional guitar solo, but let's face it, with those other guys up there I'd be willing to stand there with the volume off as well!

Another aspect of Los Lobos which seems to fluctuate is the length of the guitar solos. I suppose I used to think of long guitar solos as cool, but it lends a sameness to the proceedings. I'd just as soon hear more songs with fewer or shorter guitar solos. As regards the tone, well... maybe they are starting to lose their high end hearing a little, or whatever...

philpm, Matt Sarad and Chiogtr4x like this.
  5. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Afflicted

Ted Nugent, Kiss, Aerosmith at Tiger Stadium in 2001. It was awesome. Nugent wasn't politicial then, he just rocked.

What a great night.

Twofingerlou and Esquire Jones like this.
  6. Cheap Trills

Cheap Trills Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Johnny Lang in NYC was sort of lame a couple of years ago. His guitar tone was good, voice sounded good, but-- and maybe it was just a bad night or the venue ambiance-- the show was pretty sterile and superficial feeling, opposite of what I expected.

7. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

There's a part of my that still thinks:

" Los Lobos is the most talented band ( with all the musical variety) on the planet (and YOU play " Take It Easy to 7 people in a bar!) so leave them alone, They can do whatever they want!"

Digital Larry likes this.
  8. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I saw The Nuge and KISS the year before. It was my first KISS show. Both bands were awesome. If I recall correctly, Ted was no less outspoken in a patriotic way, but the entire climate was devoid of mass politicization to it wasn't really noticed as much. Still, it was an awesome concert.

Twofingerlou and Esquire Jones like this.
  9. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I saw The Hamsters on the 'Mad, Bad & Dangerous' tour with Wilko and John Otway. Wholeheartedly agree they were up to the hype. Not too loud, or maybe they were but the quality of the sound overcame that. The worst, and seemingly loudest, sound I recall was UFO on the NPTR tour. It was distorted to heck and back and loud. A dB meter would have shown it was quieter than Motorhead, but Motorhead always had superb sound quality. Whatever UFO had, it was close to Amstrad sound quality. Tizzy, fizzy, painful square waves of clipped audio emetics.

tweeet and BerkshireDuncan like this.
  10. SonicMustang

SonicMustang Tele-Meister

I've seen Motley Crue twice. The first one circa 2011 was awesome, the second about 3 years later...not so much.

Took a girl to see Kings of Leon in Dallas in 2011. Drove all the way from Kingfisher, OK. Opening bands were good, KOL comes out, singer is obviously too drunk. They play 3-4 songs before the singer tells everyone he's going to go to the back, throw up, drink a beer and come out and finish the show. He never came back. Only the rest of the band came back out to tell everyone he was getting over being sick and that they were sorry for cancelling the rest of the show...never got my money back.

Really surprised to hear so many people say that ZZtop was awful live. Never seen them, but I'm just a little surprised.

11. TheDavis

TheDavis Tele-Meister

Built to Spill.
    Everyone tells me what an awesome live band they are, I guess I saw the worst show they ever played.
    They complained about the monitors more than they played. They stopped midway through at least 4 songs. I felt like I was watching a band that didn’t know their songs or like each other fumbling through a contentious practice. They really had zero regard for the audience.
    I still feel ripped off over 20 years later!

12. NC E30

NC E30 TDPRI Member

When I saw them open for Billy Squier in 1984 they were on the top of their game. I guess they hung on too long past their expiration date.

Slip Kid and Festofish like this.
  13. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Afflicted

That's cold!

14. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

I've seen them 25+ times , when they did Fenway that completely sucked. I saw some awesome New Years shows by them in the past.

Motley Crue and Van Halen 3 & 4 were really disappointing.

15. Esquire Jones

Esquire Jones Tele-Meister

Saw Billy Squier in the 80’s . Snooze fest. His opening band however, some young upstarts on their first tour, out of Australia, were great (Def Leppard)!
    My band actually got to open for Ted/Kiss on that 2001 tour. I was amazed at how freaking good Kiss was. Gene is a monster bass player and Paul Stanley actually played most of the guitar solos cause Ace was wasted.

Twofingerlou and NC E30 like this.
  16. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Lou Reed , what a ....... , couldnt sing , couldnt play.......uuuugh

17. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

With apologies to Pat DiNizio (RIP), the Smithereens. I never had a chance to see them before 2005 or so. They were mad drunk, sloppy as hell.

Type O Negative (apologies to Peter Steele, RIP) got booed off stage when I saw them open for Nine Inch Nails (Spiral tour, circa '95? SF @ the Warfield). They earned it, but were the wrong opener for that town/time.

18. CaptainCrunch

CaptainCrunch Tele-Meister

Saw GWAR at the Chicago House of Blues a decade-ish ago, and the venue made them turn down the fluids to the point where we could have just gone to a normal show.

Still worth seeing, even without Oderus, but only outdoors or at a dump.

19. tweeet

tweeet Tele-Afflicted

VintageSG....
    I've seen Otway 6 times over a 40 year span...three times with Wild Willy...and have never been disappointed....the man's an entertaining legend !

20. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Afflicted

When I was a teenage guitar player (in the late 70's) I loved Ted Nugent, but never saw him live. As I grew up I lost interest in his music and schtick. He didn't exactly mature gracefully as an artist.

About 10 years ago a friend bought me a ticket to see Nugent at a local venue - 2000 person capacity bar/restaurant. It was a nostalgia thing for me. I wasn't a fan of Nugent's music or "politics" at that point, but I respected him as a guitarist and I thought it might be cool to see him perform live. So I went.

God, it was horrible. Painfully loud. Punishingly loud. Louder than Van Halen when I saw them play an arena in 1984. I can't even say with confidence if the band was good or bad. It was so loud that I couldn't tell what they were playing or saying - no discernible musical content. It was like listening to a jackhammer through a stethoscope. IT WAS LOUD!!!!!

I lasted about 3 songs, then I went outside to save my hearing and waited for my friend. The worst concert I've ever attended.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.