1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Bands/Artists you like but sucked in concert?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Twofingerlou, Feb 15, 2021.

1. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

White Zombie was great! Rob Zombie...god awful! That band was hot though and Monster Magnet opened which was perfect! Two great bands blew the roof off! I think Rob has figured out he’s more of an entertainer than a singer and that works for him. I’ll always miss that band.

Esquire Jones and northernguitar like this.
  2. Festofish

I saw Ratt in a bowling alley well after their prime. The power “blew” about 5/6 songs in and we were informed they had fulfilled their contractual obligation and it was over. They were my fave back in the day so it was a let down but then again...it was a bowling alley in the late ‘90s

Twofingerlou, pi and Digital Larry like this.
  3. Despres

Despres Tele-Afflicted

That's disappointing. I have seen them a number of times and always came away appreciating them more.

philpm and Digital Larry like this.
  4. 50ShadesofOrange

50ShadesofOrange Tele-Meister

Like most, I hate putting down a band whose music I’ve loved, but I’ve given the Drive-By Truckers at least three chances live.

Every time after the first, I’ve left feeling foolish for hoping and wishing I previously caught them off their A-game. Now I know that live, that may just be their A-game.

philpm and Twofingerlou like this.
  5. 421JAM

421JAM Tele-Meister

Joe Jackson. I’m sure he’s usually great, but for this show every song was Latin-ized and it got annoying after a while. He and his band played well, but the stylistic choice was a letdown.

The Cure. I am obviously in the minority here because the rest of the audience seemed to love it, but I though they went out of their way to be as dirgey as possible.

6. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Telefied Ad Free Member

The Sweet. Loved all those records from back in the 70's but when I saw them in the mid 80's they were just horrible.

NigeG and Fendereedo like this.
  7. Festofish

Suicidal Tendencies. I saw them well after their prime and it was a good show technically but they had two guitarist with the cleanest tone you ever heard throughout the show. Uh...Suicidal Tendencies and clean amps the whole show don’t make me very happy. Mike is ever the man though. Saw him wandering the arena afterwards and talking to whoever wanted to. Big! Big dude. Jacked.

8. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave Tele-Meister

White Zombie were top class.
    Totally agree on Rob Z by himself.
    A vocal car wreck.

Love ST, right up until the funk phase / Art Of Rebellion.
    Far too much funk metal going on, and they lost all their skate punk for a while, although Still Cyco was ace.
    Once they left the label, they regained their misplaced punk chops, and things were heavy once more.

Festofish likes this.
  9. Jay Isler

Jay Isler Tele-Meister

Very disappointed with Vince Gill. The sound was awesome but he had a bad cold or something and had lost his voice. There was maybe 2 or 3 verses in the entire concert where you could actually hear him trying to sing, the rest was like the mic was turned off. I have no idea why he didn't cancel or reschedule, other than his ego trip of being able to claim he has never cancelled.[/QUOTE]

I saw VG years ago and he was stellar. I’m not doubting you saw a bad show (it happens to everyone) but “ego trip” is not a phrase I’d ever associate with Vince. That guy is the most down to earth celebrity I’ve ever seen.

Twofingerlou and rand z like this.
  10. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

I love the guy but the shows are definitely a risk. I’ve walked out of two of the five I’ve attended. Hard to say the sets “sucked” but easy to not be into what they were doing. It didn’t help at all to let Junior Brown on stage ahead of him.

Pavement? Looked like they were having fun up there.
    Loretta Lynn? Bless her heart :(

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
  11. soul-o

soul-o Friend of Leo's

Dylan is a uniquely bad situation. It is so bad that one feels responsible to mention how much they love Dylan “but this..”. I mean, you just don’t even know which iconic song is being butchered. And again, I feel like I shoul offer the disclaimer that I love Bob Dylan! I think some of his recent albums have been phenomenal and use the degradation of his voice to great effect.

Speaking of rough vocals, the Eels make some very compelling albums but the time I saw them live was snooze city. All beardy and just standing there, loitering on stage. It takes a lot for me to walk out of a show.

12. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Afflicted

George Thorogood. I mean, I love sloppy open G slide playing and songs about booze as much as the next guy, but when you do it at about 120 dB in a concrete box (concert was in an armory) it’s not fun.

Also saw Eddie Money (stoned out of his gourd) in a gym. Louder than Thorogood. Also not fun.

Twofingerlou likes this.
  13. basher

basher Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I saw the Replacements in 1985 or so and I'm still pissed off about it. They were all drunk and falling over and couldn't play for sh*t. It was their schtick, of course, but I think if you're a pathetic boozer and have such evident contempt for your audience, maybe you should consider the ethics of charging money for people to watch you.

Marc Morfei likes this.
  14. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

I saw them a few years back and same thing, Doug's vocals were terrible, off key and out of time. He sounded dead drunk. But in between songs he'd talk to the audience and tell stories, absolutely perfect speaking voice, you could tell he was stone cold sober and energetic.

I don't know why he sings that way now, never did figure it out.

15. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Bonnie Raitt. It turned into vol. wars between her and her band. Her tone is a bit piercing as it is. We left early. Chris Isaak opened and that was great.

Tom Petty. Last date of what must have been a very long tour because every song was played at half the tempo that it should have been done. On the upside the Smithereens opened for them.

ZZ Top. Fortunately, I got the tickets for free. Plain and simple, they were too drunk. I was gone by the middle of the fourth song. The good, it was at the state fair so Pronto pups. :)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    Twofingerlou likes this.
  16. tweeet

tweeet Tele-Afflicted

Saw the Stones at Wembley '95...Voodoo Lounge tour and the Black Crowes were support. They had to cut their set short as it was tipping down with rain and I thought the rest of the gig maybe cancelled, but the rain eased off. The Stones to me played everything at breakneck speed...like a runaway train, there's were no dynamics and Jagger's singing was like someone trying to sing whilst on a 5k run !

Twofingerlou and richiek65 like this.
  17. BerkshireDuncan

BerkshireDuncan Tele-Meister

The Hamsters
    (for non-Brits; an under-the-radar rock cover band of legendary standing)

I'd wanted to see them for years and got tickets for their Hendrix / ZZ Top set at a 300(?) capacity club. They were every bit as good as the hype, but man.. the VOLUME!!
    Like nothing I've ever heard or hope to hear again. Must be getting old, but by the third number I was literally feeling nauseous and had to leave.

18. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Duke Robilard, December 2019 in a local honky tonk bar. He played far below his ability, talked and talked and talked and messed with his gear between *every* song, and there was zero flow to the performance. We made it through about 30 minutes of the first set and I told my wife I'd had enough. It was a waste of time and money.

Johnny A, another winter gig. I saw a little classified 'event' ad for his gig in a free, 'town' newspaper. I saw no other promotion for the gig, evidenced by it being attended by about 25 people in the very small venue. It turned out to be part of his "Just Me and My Guitars" tour. He said he was "having a hard time keeping a band together" and it was a solo gig with multiple looper pedals he was still learning how to coordinate. It was all ok, but not really good, he talked endlessly between songs, and quit after an hour.

Leon Russell. He was off on a gospel tangent, showed up with a gospel choir, and sang/played nothing but gospel for the 40 minutes that the 4 of us could tolerate. We left thinking that we could have spent what 4 tickets cost to buy a couple of his albums and a couple of bottles of wine, and had a far better time listening and chatting in one of our living rooms.

There are more, but they're not coming to mind at the moment.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  19. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I've seen them three times, and what I just didn't care for the 3rd time around are 2 things:

Louie Perez playing guitar ( instead of drums).
    I know he is a talented songwriter and has sung lead of a few tunes ( I met him and David H. backstage at a Latin Playboys show), But his electric playing- he just looks down at his shoes, looks bored, and you can't hear what he plays.
    So for me it's just a visual detraction.

The 2nd thing is since around the Colossal Head LP, which I do like/studio, they really ( David in particular) , seemed to embrace too much distortion/feedback/noise and get really loud.
    I think I miss the cleaner sound from the first 4-5 records.

Having said all my ' I know how you should sound!' BS, I think Los Lobos is awesome, and David Hidalgo is ( IMO) one of the most musically talented, gifted people I've ever heard.

philpm, richiek65 and Digital Larry like this.
  20. Esquire Jones

Esquire Jones Tele-Meister

Early 80’s saw Steven Tyler pass out and fall flat on his face. He was dragged of by his feet by a roadie. Show over after maybe 3 songs. Saw The Firm’s first tour and Jimmy Page sat in a chair most of the show. Someone threw a shoe at him. He hid behind his guitar and asked politely to not throw shoes. Saw GG Allen take a dump on stage. Saw Lane Staley (already sporting a cast on his broken wrist) climb some ceiling rafters above the stage. Of course he fell down and was injured again. Show continued without him for a few minutes then ended prematurely. Saw some idiot throw an M80 at Kim Gordon of Sonic Youth. She grabbed her ears in pain, dropped her bass on the stage and left. I’m sure there are more of these stories. Ah the memories....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.