Bandmaster Reverb -

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by DMace, Feb 15, 2009.

1. taterhead

taterhead Tele-Meister

Got a 68 non-Reverb in today and spent several hours playing it through a 15" weber cali. Paul in CO's description of his nailed it. Sweet OD and compression when you turn it up. Very tasty, I'm lovin it.

2. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

A 1 x 12" will handle it as long as it's rated for 50 watts or more. Something like a Weber Neo would be great for clean sounds. Eminence has a lot of choices. Maybe a Commonwealth or a Cannibis Rex. If you want more breakup, I'm sure others will have suggestions.

By the way, my BMR head weighs more then my Deluxe Reverb.

3. GUITARmole

GUITARmole Tele-Afflicted

I'd think about buying a different one.

First off it's not a 63 ('might' be a transitional Blonde 64) but rather a blackfaced Bandmaster. The 62-63 had a presence control and were brownfaced.

Second, the reserve hasn't been met and it has $250 shipping!

Third, those speakers suck (not greenbacks or blackbacks but are instead the cheap-o Celestions) so you'd be better off finding a good head and getting a cabinet locally (or having a smaller one built) to save on shipping costs and back muscles.

Fourth, the signal caps have all been replaced which lowers the value somewhat.

I think you could find a much better deal on a blackfaced Bandmaster on fleabay, craigslist, or elsewhere.

4. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I have 2 cabinets I use. One is a sealed 15" with an old Jensen & the other is a later is a closed back Fender 12" currently with a Naylor SD50.

5. Singin' Dave

Singin' Dave Friend of Leo's

The BMR heads are some of the biggest heads you'll find but aren't unmanageable by any means. A decent 1x12 with a 4ohm speaker rated for 50w or higher would work great with it, and would fit into a taxi trunk no problem, but it might be a bit of schlep to the corner.

One cool thing i've seen folks do with BMRs is install two 25w 8ohm 8" speakers inside the actual BMR head for an amazingly compact 45w combo. The 8" speakers will just barely fit inside the head and it does require replacing the front baffle with one ported for the 8" speakers. My buddy has one with two Webers installed and it sounds great! Low end is actually very present and tight. When he wants to use a cab with it for bigger stages etc., he simply unplugs the internal speakers and plugs in the cab.

6. DMace

DMace Friend of Leo's

No way! That's ingenious. I remember well that this head is very large and very heavy (38lbs, I think?). The reason I want one, rather than, say, a non-verb Bandmaster or Bassman, is that I'm not a fan of reverb pedals. I have a Holy Grail, and it's fine, but it's not 'authentic' Fender reverb by any means.

7. GUITARmole

GUITARmole Tele-Afflicted

Built in reverb is for wussies...you need a stand-alone tank!

[​IMG]

8. DMace

DMace Friend of Leo's

:lol: I'm afraid my days as a musician/powerlifter are long since past: no more Twins, no more Marshall halfstacks, and no stand-alone reverb units.

9. PixelMover

PixelMover Tele-Holic

You can get them on the cheap in combo versions as well. Have seen a few on ebay in mojo cabs.

Quite a few people I know have ripped the heads apart to in stall in a 2x10 or 2x12 cab, thereby making a still heavy but more manageable combo.

10. DMace

DMace Friend of Leo's

The reason I'm only interested in the head is that the clubs I play usually have a 'house' cabinet that I can use. It's pretty convenient if I can just bring a head and guitar and be ready to go.

11. Singin' Dave

The only catch here might be that the house cab is not a 4ohm cab. You can run these w/ 8ohm cabs but their not at their most efficient that way.

Whatever you get, I'd suggest looking into this handy little device for matching to house cabs:

http://taweber.powweb.com/store/zmatch.htm

12. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

I don't think that one has 'verb, if'n you care

13. DMace

DMace Friend of Leo's

That's a neat little item. I might look into that if I pick up a BMR head. I thought the BF and SF Fenders could pretty much work with cabs that weren't the same ohm rating?

14. Singin' Dave

It is commonly thought that most Fender tube amps can handle a 100% ohm mismatch, meaning an 8 ohm cab will work ok with a 4ohm OT without damaging the OT, or vice virsa. A 16ohm cab will NOT be healthy for a 4ohm OT however.

And while this mismatch may be ok for the OT, the OT will be working a bit harder and will affect the sound of the amp slightly, typically resulting in some volume loss and sometimes a bit looser tone.

15. DMace

DMace Friend of Leo's

Great explanation. Thanks. Dumb question: are most 4X12 cabs (Marshall is the usual suspect at these clubs) 8ohm?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.