Bandmaster Reverb -

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by DMace, Feb 15, 2009.

1. DMace

DMace Friend of Leo's

What's the story with these amps? They sell at a very reasonable price, have a great reverb, and 45 watts of power. Why are these not in greater demand? It seems they'd be a no-brainer for country players and players seeking a clean, bold sound with ample headroom. Thoughts, opinions, love, disdain?

2. Jack Knife

Jack Knife Friend of Leo's

Shhhh!! We want to still be able to get a decent vintage Fender amp!

:lol: IOW, there's nothing wrong with them. They're great amps that haven't hit the big dollar market yet. Let's keep it that way!

3. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I think it's mostly the fact that they are heads when combos seem to be more in demand. On top of that, the original speaker cabinets that came with them were a pretty large 2x12 (not to day you couldn't grab a smaller cabinet). A Vibrolux Reverb is almost the same amp and it's still a "one hander" albeit you pay a premium because it is in demand.

I've heard a few of the Bandmaster Reverbs and they are great sounding.

4. DMace

DMace Friend of Leo's

Years back, I owned one, and sold it because it weighed a ton (and that was without a speaker cabinet!). But as I play in a lot of bars/clubs that supply a 4X12 cab, and all the guitarist has to bring is a head, I've been thinking about picking up another one of these amps. I'm just surprised that they never get mentioned, especially as you can get one for under $500, and that's with a classic Fender reverb on board.

5. taterhead

taterhead Tele-Meister

I just bought a non-reverb SF from e-bay. Hopefully it will arrive tomorrow. Can't wait to fire it up. I'll report back in a couple of days. Reverb would be nice though, no doubt.

6. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

This blonde 63 is on ebay right now. You guys are really making me think about this amp.
    [​IMG]

7. DMace

DMace Friend of Leo's

Ooh, that is nice. Go on, pull the trigger. I just got a wild hair yesterday and bought a 1966 Deluxe Reverb.

8. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

The Bandmaster Reverb is a Super Reverb in a head cab, BUT it has a small 4 Ohm output transformer. I have a '68 that I got in a pawn shop for $350. Bruce Collins at Mission Amps went through it and put the channels in phase, added Reverb to the normal channel and revoiced the vibrato channel. I run it through a 2 X 12" cab with JBL's in it. Yum! It compresses softly as you turn it up and theres a slight smooth overdrive. It reminds me of how a Vox amp compresses. I link the channels together, too. Eventually I'm going to put it in a 3 X 10" combo cab with CTS type speakers. I think of it as "not quite a Super Reverb."

I also have a Dual Showman Reverb (Twin chassis in head cab). I like it a lot, but I use the Bandmaster more.

9. DMace

DMace Friend of Leo's

I've read about the smaller output transformer, but to be honest, I really don't know how it affects the sound. The Bandmaster Reverb I had was both very loud and very present. But I was just a 20-year old kid then, and I'd run it through my friend's Fender 1X15 bass cabinet, with a Strat. Man, it smoked Clapton stuff, like 'The Core' and Steve Miller tunes.

10. Jef

Jef Tele-Holic

the BMR is my favourite SF amp.
    The smaller OT is not worse, just different. It sounds halfway between a Vibrolux Reverb and a Super Reverb. It compresses more (very nice for singing leads) and has a little bit less headroom than big transformer amps (Super Reverb or Bassman). The low end is also not as firm.
    I really like the combination of the small OT and the BIG closed back 2x12 cab. It gives you a reallly focused sound you can't get from an open back combo amp.

Jef

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  11. blkhrs7

blkhrs7 Tele-Meister

I really like the SF Bandmaster I found around two months ago. Paid $600 for the head with matching cabinet. Sounds great. Kind of like a DR on steriods.

12. Singin' Dave

Singin' Dave Friend of Leo's

Great amps! Id say DR on steroids is somewhat accurate, but the BMR has it's own voice as well. I too run this amp with a 2x12 closed back cab (a TopHat cab with two G12H30s) or over a Showman 15 cab with a 4ohm JBL D130F, and it sounds great, but is a big head. Still considering pairing it with the JBL to make a vibro clone...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. DMace

DMace Friend of Leo's

Anyone have any experience with other Fender heads with 'verb that are comparable?

14. Paul in Colorado

Some one will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the Bandmaster Reverb and the Dual Showman Reverb (Twin Reverb chassis) were the only two heads with reverb Fender made in the '70's. The DSR is about an inch wider and has a middle control on both channels and has four 6L6's running around 80 watts.

15. Singin' Dave

Singin' Dave Friend of Leo's

I think that's correct Paul. I believe Fender pretty much wanted customers to pony up for the Reverb Unit for their heads prior to these two 70's iterants.

16. DMace

DMace Friend of Leo's

Thanks, guys. That's kind of what I thought. Any thoughts on whether a 1X12 cab would work with the BMR head?

17. Paul in Colorado

I'm guessing that this is a cab you already have? As long as it can handle the power you should be fine. If you can get a 4 Ohm speaker it'll match better, but Fender amps can handle the mis-match if you use an 8 Ohm speaker. But I bet a 1 x 15" cab would sound real good too. I really have to build a cab for the EVM 15L I have in a box in the closet.

18. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Owning a 71 Pro Reverb & a 73 Bandmaster Reverb Head, I can say that the Bandmaster Reverb is the same amp as a Pro Reverb with a middle control added on the Vibrato channel.
    The Super Reverb of the same era is basically the same except for a different output transformer rated at 2 Ohms. The Pro & the Bandmaster use the same 4 Ohm output transformer.
    These families of amps are more alike than some of the experts would like you to believe. It is very easy to convert the bias from balance to level. Like any 30-40 year old amp they need the filter & coupling capacitors replaced. A little TLC & you have a great amp.

19. DMace

DMace Friend of Leo's

No, I don't have a cab yet, but I'm thinking of portability, as I'm in NYC. Most of the show's that I'd use the amp for would have a backline speaker cab that I could plug into. But for the rare shows that there isn't a speaker cab to use, I will have to cart the amp via the backseat of a taxi, or in its trunk. So, I'm thinking 1X12 as the simplest, most manageable speaker enclosure. I just didn't know if 45 watts would be a bit much for a 1X12 to handle efficiently.

20. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

Played in a band where the other guitar player used a Bandmaster reverb, with the big 2 x 12 cabinet. Great sound, with most of the difference between it and my Pro reverb attributed to the closed back.

Biggest drawback was the bulk of the cabinet.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.