Bandit 65 reverb issue.

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Timmay, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Timmay

Timmay TDPRI Member

I recieved a Bandit 65 from Guitar Center today. Apparently they don't bother to function test used gear before they list it. Listing said "GREAT" condition, but it was not in operating condition when it arrived. Being in really nice physical condition I thought I'd try to clean up the pots and jacks to see if that fixed it before returning it. That took care of everything except for the reverb. When I try turning the reverb up, there's no reverb and it turns the volume down, cutting out all sound by the time it's full up. When turning it back down I get a loud hum as it sweeps from about 3-2.

I would appreciate any help y'all can provide trouble shooting the problem. Thanks in advance for your help.

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  2. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky TDPRI Member

Sounds like the reverb mixing circuit works fine. I would check And clean the connections to the reverb tank. They should be 3 position White plastic connectors on the circuit board if memory serves. If that doesn’t work it will most likely be the reverb tank. You can find a replacement fairly cheap at most online guitar parts retailers. It should be an accutronics unit and the part number should be stamped on the case. Just remember that is almost a 40 year old amp parts are bound to fail here and there. Just give her some love and she will serve you well. Good luck.

Bill Moore and Timmay like this.
  3. Jon Snell

Jon Snell Tele-Meister

If it was really cheap to buy, pursue the repair otherwise return it as faulty.

4. Timmay

Timmay TDPRI Member

Thanks Bonkosky. Cleaned all reverb connections, and it works perfectly. I was thinking it was a circuit issue the way it was cutting out the volume. Goes to show, always start with the simple stuff eh? Especially when, like me, you know just enough about it to be dangerous. LOL.

Anyway, I'm a happy camper. Amp sounds great, and is functioning perfectly, with just a deoxit bath.

J. Bonkosky likes this.
  5. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

return it to G.C. ?

6. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky TDPRI Member

No problem. I am glad a simple cleaning worked. Those amps are tanks and sound great live or at home. Enjoy.

Timmay likes this.
  7. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Good find!
    I ordered a used Bandit 65 from GC in OKC that was in "good" condition. When it arrived, it was missing the reverb tank altogether, the speaker had been swapped, the baffle was broken and there was a hunk of extension cord serving as leads from the amp to the speaker. I wish I had known that going in.
    I didn't accept it and they gave me my money back.

I love the look of those 65's. Enjoy!

Timmay likes this.
  8. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

9. Timmay

Timmay TDPRI Member

Lol. That thread is pretty funny. I'm with you 100% on the sticker thing, especially those ding dongs with all the 2A stickers. I almost never leave the house without a pistol on me, and the LAST thing I want to do is advertise, I HAVE A PISTOL ON ME!!! What the heck are they thinking?

So I guess if the bandit you recieved from GC was in "good" condition, the one I recieved really is in GREAT condition. Lol. Find yourself a Bandit 65 or Special 130 if your still GAS'n for one. You won't regret it. These SS Peaveys from the 80's sound really good. I bought a Special 130 a few weeks ago, and was impressed enough that I decided I needed its little bro too. Nice cleans, decent dirt, and awesome pedal platforms. The two sound very much alike, but the parametric mids on the 130 give you a good bit more tone shaping ability.

EDIT TO ADD: I have no idea how the Red Stripe Bandit got the reputation for being the best sounding Bandit. My 65 sounds WAAYYY better than my RS. Fatter, warmer, more natural sounding. The RS is thin, icepicky, and harsh sounding in comparison. Same speaker in each. My RS is gonna go down the road.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    ukepicker likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.