Band Troubles... am I crazy?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dragonfly66, May 19, 2019.

1. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

soooooo, if this is like my house, that means 'stay in the band!' ;)

2. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

It just sounds like two totally different approaches to music. That's fine if everyone is happy with everyone else being themselves, but it's not fine when someone is unhappy with the norm.

The line between quiet and loud is purely subjective. The rehearsals are too lound for Dragonfly but just right for the others. Dragonfly isn't going to retune anyone's ears. So why try?

It's a world of opportunities out there. So it's better to walk away friends than to hang out and gnash your teeth into you rip someone a new one.

3. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Friend of Leo's

I went back and reread the O.P.

I noticed that this band has an upcoming gig.
    The gig has a provided P.A. System.

Guessing they have a sound man running it?
    Can't imagine that the venue lets just anybody abuse their sound system.

That should be a real eye opener for the band.
    I can just see it now...the sound guy dealing with way out of control stage volume.

This got me to thinking...
    What kind of gigs are going to be available for a band that's crazy loud? Is this band ever gonna get asked to return to a venue after its debut there?

I bailed on a band that had an obnoxious frontman. We were relegated to playing a few god awful Dives because of his offensive stage banter. We couldn't get any classy gigs. I can see the same thing happening with this over the top stage volume band.

This story will probably write its own ending.

thegeezer likes this.
  4. dragonfly66

dragonfly66 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The custom Musician Earplugs are next on my list.

5. dragonfly66

dragonfly66 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

:lol:

6. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

how are sleeveless shirts NOT rock and roll? sleeves on a t shirt are for squares.

and what's wrong with a clip on tuner?

7. cyclopean

"creative differences".

8. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

[QUOTE="

The line between quiet and loud is purely subjective .[/QUOTE]

It really isn't. One of my regular gigs has a db meter over the stage and if it goes into the red too often or you annoy the bar manager being too loud then you don't get asked back.

9. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

So lemme get this straight. The bass player and the drummer formed the band and have been together for years and have reformed the band many times. And you joined a year ago? You're not Mike Campbell are you? :D

10. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Afflicted

OK, lots of discussion but the issue is simple. Don’t overthink.

If everyone else in the band is at odds with one member, it doesn’t matter who is right or wrong. The odd man out needs to head for the door before he gets tossed through it.

End of story.

Anybody who has any reasonable amount of experience in bands ought to know this.

Mid Life Crisis and MilwMark like this.
  11. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Yeah, I'm late to this discussion, but I kept wondering why you didn't just use earplugs. If you like the music they play and enjoy everything except the decibel level, that's an easy problem to solve.

On the bigger issue of, "It's too loud!", it seems to me, with electric guitars, there's always someone telling someone else it's too loud. I scrupulously protect my hearing, and I completely recognize that playing too loud is horribly selfish and clueless, but I've also been asked to turn it down a million times, usually by the same person, over and over. I'm not implying that this pertains to the OP, but to me, it's almost as obnoxious for one band member to insist that everyone else play way softer that they like to, as it is for someone to play too loud.

Good luck dragon, I hope y'all can work it out.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    thegeezer and MilwMark like this.
  12. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

We once got told to turn down. At a show we were doing all acoustic. Around one condenser mic. Using one small monitor as our monitor and one as a “main.” Both barely on. We couldn’t have been more than 65 dB. Maybe 70 dB absolute tops. Even I didn’t have earplugs in that day.

It’s not always a volume issue. Sometimes its an expectation level. Bar books band. But wants patrons to be able to talk in normal voices and order drinks in hushed tones. Mismatch. I also find bars reflexively say “turn down, you’re too loud” but then their own bumper music comes on during breaks and is WAY louder. In fact, too loud to order drinks without shouting. Go figure.

SecretSquirrel and thegeezer like this.
  13. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Holic

Is just a matter of styling... when I say sleeveless thay go together with bermudas and sandals. WE, I remark this, WE, are not a surf band so we should dress according to that. Here in Spain is really hot in summer... we get to the gig in shorts but we dress for the gig and after is up to you

Clip on tuners are just not right for me.... buy a pedal and MUTE while tuning ON STAGE. I use them at home, yes, but never on stage

14. cyclopean

i sometimes use the tuner on my pedalboard as a mute switch and use a clip on to tune because it's more accurate.

when i see surf bands they tend to either be in space suits or normal clothes. sleeveless t shirts seem pretty motorhead to me.

15. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Dang, I thought this horse was truly dead by now. Here’s just a few more things @dragonfly66, meant to help out and not otherwise. If I’ve repeated some previous thoughts, well, this is Bad Dog. I’m not really interested in a response, just offering some things to help with decisions.

Simple concepts, really:

1. First and foremost, you have every right to protect your hearing, whatever that means.

2. Given the age of the participants, job #1 is to have fun. If you’re not having fun, the answer is very plain. Is there some prospect that fun will be had? Do you enjoy the music being played? (see #4)

3. Is there any sense of humor in common going on? Is it possible lead guitar and others are poking a little fun at you just to see what happens? Complicated? As in drum kit complicated? As in what your girlfriend thinks about your wife complicated? Sometimes, humor can defuse a lot of tension. Might give it a try sometime, and maybe you have, not my business.

4. Ok, you say acoustic rhythm guitar in a rock band. Acoustic rhythm guitar can sit right in the middle of important wavelength/bandwidth and except for maybe some accents or string-sound only palm mute stuff, should not get in the way of a good bass and drummer. IMO, when you are singing, a song only needs the vocal, bass and drum. If you’re adding too much on top of that, you might re-think what your guitar is doing. And if I’m just stating something here that you are already keenly aware of, apologies.

5. Speaking of drummer – are you helping him load in/load out? Great way to build relationship with drummer. I’ve haven’t met one yet that refuses the offer of help.

6. Are you the only one singing? No harmonies? Is it possible, despite the “complications” that this is a band happy/lucky to have you, because they have problems recruiting or because you’ve got a great voice? Is there something here worth saving?

7. Regardless of your choice, don’t burn any bridges. Some of the stuff we do (in having fun! dang it!…) is hard enough as it is. Keep your sense of humor and don’t waste time on hard feelings.

Good luck!

16. ahnadr

ahnadr TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

In my band (I'm on drums,) the guitarist is too loud for the lead singer...
    But it's the same guy!!!

dragonfly66 likes this.
  17. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

They're making it complicated for them. That is a bad sign.

I won't deal with people like that in my life.

18. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Ahaha, good one! :)

19. tomkatf

tomkatf Tele-Afflicted

I'd play the gig before telling them you're leaving... is that weaselly? :cool:

20. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

If they think, the OP doesn't match with the band, the adult thing to do would be having a polite conversation (yes, it's possible) and point out their concerns.
    Why should he "shake hands, thank them and move on" if they behave like playground bullies?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.