Band Troubles... am I crazy?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dragonfly66, May 19, 2019.

1. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I find that threatening physical violence and a few choice words thrown in for good measure usually clears the air and resolves situations like this.

vgallagher and Marc Morfei like this.
  2. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

This is not the band for you.

3. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Meister

I would quite the band immediately. Playing gigs with such a band can become embarrassing for you and you may loose your good reputation as musician

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. Marc Morfei

This is reasonable. "Not a good fit" is a simple enough explanation.

Wildcard_35 and MilwMark like this.
  5. Marc Morfei

This is right on target. When I am playing, I want to hear everyone else. If you can't hear the other instruments, the solution is never "you need to turn up." It is almost always,"I (or someone else...) need to turn down."

6. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Holic

Great response, well summed up, AND you taught me a new term. I am going to start using “jack wagons” immediately. Ha!

nojazzhere and El Tele Lobo like this.
  7. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

Time for a new band, preferably one that is comprised of people who know how gear works. I am thinking your IEM has a "thru" jack. Why not interrupt the monitor signal going to the front monitor mix before it gets to the monitor processor or amp? You still would have volume control.

8. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

So you're.... in the USA? Me too! I'll play bass with you. It would be a pleasure for me to play with a front man with your experience and thinking. I'm with you 100% on the volume and protecting your hearing. Our ears are our most valuable assets as musicians. It blows my mind that so many musicians are too macho-brained to accept such an obvious reality.

Seriously. I would so rather play with a guy used to solo performance but new to the band scene, than the other way around. Go find a few players happy to let you shine through. Audiences care about singers. Period. The one or two guitarists in the audience may not. Screw them.

Let the wannabe Van Halens do their thing. Go get a few decent guys together to back you.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    Wildcard_35, beagle and El Tele Lobo like this.
  9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

BTW....and off-topic.....but has FenderGyrl been away and has now returned? Your post here made me suddenly think I hadn't noticed anything from you for awhile......if you've been gone, it's nice that you're back. If I've just been oblivious......sorry! ;)

10. dragonfly66

dragonfly66 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My acoustic background is relevant to establish what I was use to. I am not used to instruments having to be so loud to be heard by an audience. However, loud and ear damaging loud is different. The snare shots alone can give you ringing in the ears. I don't think anyone should just get used to that.

This is what bugs me the most, they don't respect my choices. Instead of waiting to see what mixer is available at the venue and working from that knowledge they immediate tell me that I might not be able to use my IEMs or that they are not practical. Their reasoning is because THEY couldn't figure out the mixer we have in our practice space and they are assigning the hour it took THEM to figure the board out to me. I know what I'm doing, but because they don't it is a big issue for them. I try to help them with the things I know, they disregard my input so I watch them flounder. But somehow their floundering gets assigned to me. Even if the venue doesn't have an extra aux I could simply get a mono out from some other out on the board OR do what @Old Deaf Roadie suggested. To me this isn't a big deal.

My setup for IEMs is one mono cable in from the board. My amp/pedalboard is one cable into the board. My mic is one cable into vocal processor, one cable out to the board. This is not complicated or time consuming.

This would be a perfect for when there is only one aux on the board. I have a loop on the back of my transmitter, described as "⑪ Loop Outputs (¼ Inch TRS, Balanced) - Connect outputs to additional PSM systems or other audio devices" . The second screen shot shows how we can hook it up.

Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 8.08.31 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 8.16.20 AM.png

Old Deaf Roadie and beagle like this.
  11. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Holic

DF66, I spent a couple of years in the late 90s playing electric guitar in a band that coalesced around a guy who had been an acoustic guitarist/singer solo performer for years prior. In our case, it was a good experience. But we all had it firmly in mind that we were there to flesh out what he did already. No big amps (bass into a Peavey TNT combo; guitar into one or two 15-watt combos, depending on venue. At practice we used one). The drummer was into Carter Beauford and the Dave Matthews Band, so was on some level hip to the idea of accompanying low-volume acoustic instruments. We as a group were not hip to in-ear monitoring, but our levels were pretty low and that made things pretty easy in terms of hearing ourselves and stage sound.

It sounds like you’re playing with guys that think 100-watt full stacks are appropriate for coffeehouse gigs and are pretty set in their ways.

I suppose you might persist in setting up the in-ear system regardless of their semi-passive snark, and maybe they’ll come around if they can be bothered to notice that your ideas work...but people willing to form up around an acoustic-wielding front person exist. And some of them can be bothered to read band-related texts and e-mails past the first sentence or two. Might be time to put your network to work...

beagle and nojazzhere like this.
  12. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Afflicted

In one of my bands, I play a Mesa Boogie or Pro Reverb, and my partner plays a dead mint vintage ‘65 Twin. And we never hurt our ears.

This thread is proof that being s professional means more than playing for money.

Life is short-say goodbye.

beagle likes this.
  13. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

If they practice at a crazy volume they'll gig louder which is a sound person's nightmare. I gigged for three years with another guitar player who drank and turned up and drank more and turned up more - etc...all night. His guitar came through in the front line vocal mics and his guitar came through in the drum mics and the owners of all three sound companies we used hated the guy. I stood near a very proud and drunk guitar player while sound guys called him selfish, an amateur, a child etc. He really pissed professional people off. I left shows with my head ringing and I didn't like it. I don't miss him or the stress.

You're in a goofy band and I think that you're the only one making all the sense. I'm sorry. It's sad. If 4 or 5 people can't look out for each other or function as a team then I'd find other people.

You're ok.

14. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

For all we know, the band isn’t unreasonably loud.

I’m not being critical of OP, but my guess is they are not too loud.

It’s ok. I wear earplugs even when the band isn’t too loud. I’m sensitive to cymbals too.

But I could certainly see creating a personal in ear system, and chewing up a channel to do it, coming across as unreasonable. It would to me, if the rest of the band wasn’t on them.

Mad Kiwi likes this.
  15. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

I'm late to this, but here's what I think:

the group sound like the kind of guys I would get sick of quick.

if you are finding it stressful to ignore them, it probably won't get better.

I grew up and played in an era where louder was better, and there was no such thing as in-ear monitors; often there were no monitors at all.

In those days I could often not hear my own guitar, or voice. I relied on knowing that I knew what I was playing or singing. The old "finger in the ear to allow the singer to hear himself" trick works.

If you enjoyed playing this music with these guys, you could take some inspiration from how we got through the 60's and 70's this way.

If you are not enjoying it - get out. They are bugging you... and quite likely you are bugging them. A mismatch made in "somewhere".

beagle, nojazzhere and MilwMark like this.
  16. dragonfly66

So help me understand how it is unreasonable for YOU that I use IEMs? What exactly is the unreasonable part if you don't have to do any setup and you don't have to wear them?

17. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

'Zackly. It's better to quit than get fired.

MilwMark and beagle like this.
  18. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

i'm intrigued as to the 'too loud' thing. has the band lost members before for being too loud? have they ever been told by sound engineers to turn down on stage? do they ever play and the nearest dancer is 50 feet away because they're too loud? has a venue ever not renewed a booking because they're too loud? whenever we play gigs someone will invariably tell us if we're too loud. can your band just not take a hint, or do they genuinely believe their levels are fine?

nojazzhere likes this.
  19. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

oh, and at rehearsal if i was you i would just play at my normal comfortable volume. if they want to hear you then tell them to turn down.

MilwMark and nojazzhere like this.
  20. dragonfly66

We have been told by venues were are too loud. We've had customers leave because we were too loud.

I personally think we are too loud in our practice room. The bass players amp hits my ears hard. The drummers snare is too much for my ears even 6 feet away - the band I was in previously, the drummer used cool sticks, which are the stick bundles that make the drums set softer. The lead player's amp is facing me and when he kicks in his pedal for leads it is ridiculous.

I HAVE to wear ear plugs or my IEMs.

nojazzhere likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.