Band Troubles... am I crazy?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dragonfly66, May 19, 2019.

1. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

you have band trouble.
    You might be crazy, we'll see.
    Most people play too loud because they can hide in the noise.

2. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Once you lose your hearing, it's gone forever.

Stand your ground and die on that hill. If it means quitting, so be it. The amount of money for which I'd risk losing my hearing for a band has a LOT of zeros at the end of it.

I play in a loud rock band, and we wear earplugs at practice. Authoritatively hit drums are loud, so everything else has to match that level. Everyone in my band is OK with that. Maybe your bandmates are being unreasonable, maybe from their perspective you are, but the scenario you've described is clearly not working.

3. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

When you get down to it, playing loud music is just FUN, plain and simple. The human brain has evolved to perceive loud sounds as exciting.

So are skanky girls at dive bars though, and in both scenarios it's a good idea to use protection.

4. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

the best band I was in the vocals were practiced at low volume. the drummer used only brushes or his hands. lead guitar parts were kept short, and no open ended leads. once the vocals & the arrangements were comfortable, then we might dink around on the guitars. we were all good at improv on the instruments, that was just the gravy. unless you are really something special on the guitar, it's the band that makes the gig, and gets you the next one. tight, interesting arrangements with good vocals, and a professional presentation. not many places want loud these days anyway. helps if your songs don't suck too

tomkatf likes this.
  5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Sounds like you got a dumb lead player and a dumb bass player.

You're going to move on. The only question is "when?"

You can't learn from these kinds of people, or what you can learn you have learned already.

6. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

I have to roll with Bones on this, given the information you have given us, it doesn't sound like a good fit for you.

As far as Hearing Protection goes, tell them you will ask then that very question in ten years.
    And you won't raise your voice when you ask.

7. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Afflicted

My experience is that it is truly difficult to get a good group together!

8. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted

I use them because it’s have lost all of my heating and wear hearing aids. So, that’s the alternative, no ******** man. Been wearing them since I was 35, which is way too young. Turns out, our parents were right, if you don’t turn it down, you will go deaf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

Quite frankly: quit them immediately. That is, out of duty after that gig. Make sure you get your amount of cash and give your regards.
    A band that rehearses or plays that loud, isn't worth bothhering in the first place.
    Not to mention that this patronising behaviour is unacceptable.

stinkey and verb boten like this.
  10. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

Well they're obviously deaf already.

Doorlord, Wildcard_35, beagle and 2 others like this.
  11. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

THIS

Because, your request was NOT "complicated".
    What's their stance on two-prong power plugs?

12. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

While I’ve never played in a band, I will offer this advice. Whenever the lead or bass player speaks to you, say, “What?” If they’re anything like my wife, it will infuriate them. I can only hear in one ear and that ear isn’t perfect. My hearing loss has seriously downgraded the quality of my life. Protect your hearing at all costs!

Wildcard_35 and strats62 like this.
  13. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I am blessed that my drummer and bass player play at reasonable levels! We're working on the steel player. :D At least he points his amp towards himself.

I'm in the play the gig and leave telling them "It's complicated" camp. I'm glad that I have most of my hearing at my age considering how much I've abused them over the years.

Owenmoney likes this.
  14. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

why is it fun to play painfully loud in a small rehearsal room? because in the mush of 'rockin' no one can hear that you can't play the song right... not fun for me... I have also played with 'too loud' people who were too used to playing with themselves and needed 'them' on top of the mix rather than nicely placed within... too loud is a tell... but, okay.

studio1087 and nojazzhere like this.
  15. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Holic

We had a band with a great female singer who could handle anything rock n roll but the lead player always drowned her out.
    I was the oldest member, so patrons and listeners thought i was the "leader" and told me we were playing too loud for her. A couple times i passed this along to lead player ("this is what the audience says") and he would mutter an unintelligible response but leave the volume where is was. I hated to, but left. A couple times, maybe 3, of trying to get a problem resolved and hitting a stone wall is enough: they have no intention of changing.

studio1087, Wildcard_35 and P Thought like this.
  16. brokenbones

brokenbones Tele-Meister

I would imagine the mere sight of IEM technology to them is not, "rock and roll."

verb boten likes this.
  17. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Why assume the band is too loud?

If the OP is used to being solo acoustic maybe his threshold is really low.

Sounds like they are asking you to leave without saying it. They probably don’t like your pedalboard, long emails or personal monitors anymore than you like their volume.

Chalk it up to not a fit. Shake hands, thank them and move on. Maybe solo, where you can control everything, is a better fit.

18. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

A too-loud band, or band mate, is crushing on many levels. It kills the songs, your hearing, the band vibe, the joy, the creativity, and forget about dynamics. I've been through that pain, and the only cure is getting out. Because the "loud guy" is NOT gonna turn down. It's a psychological problem that can't be cured with reason or logic: those guys just don't get it.

verb boten and Wildcard_35 like this.
  19. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

Dude, I would leave. I got permanent tinnitus in one ear just sitting in at one gig with a bunch of jack wagons that played way too loud for the room. Your band may be over in a month or year or five years but your hearing is forever. I would walk and find a group that plays at a reasonable volume, especially during rehearsals. You’re starting to see what I had to learn the hard way… If you don’t take care of your hearing, there are people out there who won’t care about it either. Tinnitus sucks...unending sonic torment and an end to silence forever. You don’t need that grief, believe me.

20. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

I have a concern with 1 band member using in-ear monitors with a sound guy in a hurry.
    Nobody but you will hear the damaging feedback in your in-ear monitors if sound guy goofs.
    I would prefer that everyone to use the same monitor system, stage or in-ear, for safety.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.