BAND REUNION TONIGHT.

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Afflicted
I'm meeting for dinner, chat and probably an impromtu acoustic jam at the home of the bass player from the best band I was ever in tonight.

I'm really looking forward to it.
I put this band together when I was 22, I wrote the songs, sang and played rhythm guitar. It was a 2 guitar, keys, bass and drums line up. We felt like a tribe both musically and socially.

We were developing really well from 89-91, getting a good following and reputation throughout central Scotland at a time when there was a significant music scene going on in Glasgow with the likes of Deacon Blue, Del Amitri, The Blue Nile etc enjoying commercial success.
The turning point came in '91 when we were ill advised and signed to a management and production company already had a chart topping Glasgow band on their roster.
Basically they tried to turn my atmospheric, jazzy, rock band into an insipid replica of their commercially successful pretty boy pop band and it all went sour. I was 3rd to quit and made that decision while on honeymoon in August '92. The whole thing folded and nobody spoke to each other (apart from the guitarist and I) for about a decade.

The reason being the drummer is over from Sydney Oz where he's spent the last 25 years raising a family and running a successful graphic design business.
Unfortunately, the guitarist (the band's laconic joker) won't manage, he's guitar tech-ing somewhere in the world with Placebo.

The bass player and keyboard player seem to even have done rather well in life: one retired early at 50 last year after being head of cyber security with our national telecoms, the other is a Professor of music technology and done rather well in property speculation in Edinburgh.

Jayzuz, even our roadies done well one of them, (my brother in law) has a thriving chain of Italian restaurants and the other roadie became the drummer in a successful Brit-pop band.

Me, I'm the stumbling hobo of the motley crew, between decades of mental and physical ill- health, addiction, neurodiversity and general fecklessness, albeit I'm still playing, writing and dreaming of putting an album together.

I'm feeling a bit out of my depth at the prospect of meeting up with my former musical peers.

Tricone

Tele-Afflicted
I wouldn't worry too much. There has been a lot of water under the bridge since the band days. Sounds like a dinner to reminisce about the old band and music not comparing who has done what, made more money, blah,blah. If that is the way it goes, then you will know it is a good thing that it didn't work out years ago.

Nobody owes anybody anything. Except a nice dinner, pleasant conversation, and hopefully some jams on a few tunes. Here is to you having a good time and all going well.

Last edited:

AAT65

Poster Extraordinaire
I'm meeting for dinner, chat and probably an impromtu acoustic jam at the home of the bass player from the best band I was ever in tonight.
Sounds like fun!
Jayzuz, even our roadies done well one of them, (my brother in law) has a thriving chain of Italian restaurants
Are you trying to tell us you are related to Tony Macaroni??!?

eclecticsynergy

Friend of Leo's

I'm really looking forward to it.
I put this band together when I was 22, I wrote the songs, sang and played rhythm guitar. It was a 2 guitar, keys, bass and drums line up. We felt like a tribe both musically and socially.

We were developing really well from 89-91, getting a good following and reputation throughout central Scotland at a time when there was a significant music scene going on in Glasgow with the likes of Deacon Blue, Del Amitri, The Blue Nile etc enjoying commercial success.
The turning point came in '91 when we were ill advised and signed to a management and production company already had a chart topping Glasgow band on their roster.
Basically they tried to turn my atmospheric, jazzy, rock band into an insipid replica of their commercially successful pretty boy pop band and it all went sour. I was 3rd to quit and made that decision while on honeymoon in August '92. The whole thing folded and nobody spoke to each other (apart from the guitarist and I) for about a decade.

The reason being the drummer is over from Sydney Oz where he's spent the last 25 years raising a family and running a successful graphic design business.
Unfortunately, the guitarist (the band's laconic joker) won't manage, he's guitar tech-ing somewhere in the world with Placebo.

The bass player and keyboard player seem to even have done rather well in life: one retired early at 50 last year after being head of cyber security with our national telecoms, the other is a Professor of music technology and done rather well in property speculation in Edinburgh.

Jayzuz, even our roadies done well one of them, (my brother in law) has a thriving chain of Italian restaurants and the other roadie became the drummer in a successful Brit-pop band.

Me, I'm the stumbling hobo of the motley crew, between decades of mental and physical ill- health, addiction, neurodiversity and general fecklessness, albeit I'm still playing, writing and dreaming of putting an album together.

I'm feeling a bit out of my depth at the prospect of meeting up with my former musical peers.
Wishing you a great reunion! IMO the kinship that develops over time between members in a good band outlives any negative feelings from the breakup.

Jipes

Tele-Meister
My twocents from my personnal experience, I met up 10 years ago with my formers band mates from my very first group in 1981, we were quite a good bunch of friends learning how to play blues and toured quite intensively for 3 years. I got married they came to the wedding and one year later the band did broke up at least that's what I thought, while I got my son born I heard that they reunite without me quite sad. Fast forward I open a Facebook account and the guitar player found me and contact me. We deceided to meet and as you I was terribly nervous since lot's of stuff have been unspoken for so long

Guess what ?? It was a blast we were reuniting like if a week only had gone, instant complicity and laughter and since then we never stop being friends. I really wish that it will be the same for you

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Afflicted
Trip report afterwords please.
It went well, I didn't get home till 6am; 1hr drive back so a 5am finish from a 6pm start was good.

A bit of a change in perspective for me tonight, all band members despite their careers are really frustrated at either not playing good music or none at all.

I'm enjoying my current stage of music albeit it's mainly writing, plus voice and playing have vastly improved over time so they feeling of inferiority dropped away.

We played a lot of new versions of old songs and they actually sounded quite contemporary. Then came me going solo for about 2 hrs as I was the only one the whisky wine and beer didn't catch up on because I'm TT but I noticed something strange:- everyone videos everything. I mean everything.

My own phone never left my pocket.

No doubt I'll be posted on some social media outlet that I don't use.

In a nutshell, a storm in a teacup in my self esteem department but I've been isolated for a few years. I'm hoping that improves as I start to re-engage with people.

Thanks folks for the reassurance I got.
I needed it.

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Afflicted
The important word in your post is DINNER ! barbecue, or sushis, or what ?
The rest of the guys had slow cooked lamb, I got a chicken casserole (all to myself) due to my red meat allergy (I break out in an unbearable itchy rash), albeit for some strange reason I can still eat pig.
Lots of steamed veg, rice, baked potatoes.

I brought antipasto/pasti from my brother in law's deli: olives, anchovys, prosciutto, artichokes etc.

The drummer brought a bucket (seriously!) of ice cream.

All washed down with a crate or two of Brew Dog and red wine, except again I had sparkling water instead due to my allergy to alcohol (I break out in handcuffs).

johnny k

Doctor of Teleocity
The rest of the guys had slow cooked lamb, I got a chicken casserole (all to myself) due to my red meat allergy (I break out in an unbearable itchy rash), albeit for some strange reason I can still eat pig.
Lots of steamed veg, rice, baked potatoes.

I brought antipasto/pasti from my brother in law's deli: olives, anchovys, prosciutto, artichokes etc.

The drummer brought a bucket (seriously!) of ice cream.

All washed down with a crate or two of Brew Dog and red wine, except again I had sparkling water instead due to my allergy to alcohol (I break out in handcuffs).
That is my kind of reunion and accoustic jam !

Cpb2020

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I love this.

Whenever I get together with the few high school friends that I still keep in touch with (“horn” band mates), we regress to our high school mindsets.

It doesn’t matter how successful or unsuccessful we’ve been. We’re just happy to reminisce about old times. Particularly the older and more mortal we become.

Doctor of Teleocity
It’s good that you got together with your old band mates.

It’s hard to fluidly adjust to all the changes life brings, even harder when the decades go by and it seems like yesterday.

People don’t know what they want, for the most part, especially early on. Those that do know are rare, and there is a lot of turmoil when they team up together with others in pursuit of their dreams, because those that don’t know what they really want are bound to abandon their half-hearted promises and idealism sooner or later when predetermined instinctual impulses are cued, and the pull of social and familial pressure is draped over their shoulders.

It is torture to be compelled to compromise on the big things, being bound by an unreconcilable trajectory, and the loss of artistic control for the sake of commercial gain.

At one point I was so determined to live my dream, so betrayed by the world, that I sold my dreams out to put on a clown costume, because I couldn’t let go. I wouldn’t let go. The only way to not betray myself was to become something abhorrent to myself, and join the circus. I didn’t do it intentionally. I couldn’t accept that everything I knew as reality was a lie, and the game was all rigged. Pay to play, a disgusting chessboard of manipulation and lies.

One thing that the world is really good at is finding just the right kind of evil to rip our hearts out with what we care about the most.

I didn’t go down without a fight, and I say that to all of life. Most don’t realize that I even went down, because their glass elevators went past me.

I don’t care what success looks like for anyone else, success for me always looked like remaining pure and untainted in expression, and loyalty is also extremely important. To join forces, the vision must be completely shared and everyone must be committed 100%. It’s just not realistic, and doomed to failure. Seasoned players with standard operating procedures are lying in wait.

Hurts when you’ve dedicated all your resources to a vision and it falls apart, or becomes untenable.

Business tends to bruise and scar the tender necks it caresses, and leaves with the wet kiss of emptiness.

Artists don’t do well at life. We are fundamentally different than the sharks and minnows. We believe in standards of purity that simply do not exist in the majority of people’s hearts. We betray ourselves with every reaching out and collaboration, because we will be let down, and we will let down our art and ourselves.

It is a lonely walk in a dark thicket, with forks and sadness and awakening to the cold winds of truth. No promises, no assurance, no lasting reward, but bittersweet memories of clawing against the marble walls.

Concession is that you know you are different, and your voice is unique, and will always echo in the corners, a reminder to the sharks and minnows that there are those of us who do not abide by the rules of this world.

Jim622

Friend of Leo's
Concession is that you know you are different, and your voice is unique, and will always echo in the corners, a reminder to the sharks and minnows that there are those of us who do not abide by the rules of this world.
Creaters.jpg