1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Band rehearsal at home = no pests?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by THX1123, Jan 11, 2021.

1. THX1123

THX1123 Tele-Meister

I submit that a full band playing loud live music in a structure drives, and keeps vermin away.

Throughout my younger years I worked crummy jobs and played out as much as I could. I often lived with a bunch of other young rock musicians. We rented a 4 bedroom house. The prior occupants of the house were international students from SE Asia. When we moved in there we saw roaches everywhere. Mice ran with impunity throughout the house. The kitchen windows and walls were coated with a sort of light pink layer of what appeared to be some kind of caramelized curry glaze. The landlord reluctantly fired off a couple half-assed cheap roach bombs and hired a cleaning lady to do the kitchen. She cleaned the kitchen windows and walls. She loudly gave up and left after half a day because the fridge crisper drawer was full of water - water in which floated many tiny dead fish and drowned roaches. All I cared about was that the house was in a great location, was cheap, had a great porch, our Co2 keg fridge was hooked up. The house was 1 block from the Hardware Store I worked at and all my favorite bars and clubs were also just blocks away. I had no car, so this place was great.

Within 2 weeks of playing loud rock music there 3 nights a week there were no roaches or mice, or any vermin, and there never were again. Legions of vermin could have thrived on the beer spillage, chicken wing bones, and pizza boxes alone. Half the time someone came home hammered and left door open. Rats and mice, even skunks could have walked right in. It was a different time, because the police could have walked right in as well. They never did. Somehow no one ever called about the noise.

There were typically 6-8 people living there as girlfriends were there most of the time. We drank a lot of beer and partied basically every night. We were pigs. We had no vacuum. I submit that it was the live music that drove, and kept the vermin away.

Years later we rented a rehearsal space at a place called the Music Mall. It was an old brick Lutheran Old Folks home. The building was probably at least 80-100 years old. It was by the railroad tracks in an industrial part of the city. The place was also filthy. There was a bathroom, technically, but I don't think anyone I know was ever brave enough to poop there. Most people pissed outside behind the building facing the railroad tracks. There were probably 30 rooms there. The garbage was rarely taken out. There were empties and fast food trash and occasionally vomit outside and in the lot. It should have been a heaven for rats and roaches and bugs. They could have lived like kings. It gets mighty cold here, and rodents always seem to somehow find a way in when it gets cold. But there were 30 loud live bands playing there. Cannibal Corpse was directly below us for a while just before they moved to Florida. We'd stop a song and there'd be 200 bpm awesomeness vibrating the floor. The band moe. was also downstairs from us before they decamped to Albany.

There were never rats at the Music Mall. No rodent droppings ever spotted. No roaches. No ants. The Music Mall was always impossibly free of vermin from the animal kingdom in the 7 years we were there...

Jakedog and driver8 like this.
  2. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

There are noise devices marketed for the exact purpose you describe. They are very high frequency as I recall. The previous owners left one plugged in here when they moved out...I've left it for the nearly seven years we've been here, thinking "what happens if it really works and I unplug it?" o_O

3. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

We rehearse(ed) In my insulated separate garage. It has lots of spiders and mice living here in the woods. Often a small spider will come dropping down during rehearsal, or also a mouse will be seen running across the table the PA amp is on etc! Occasionally in the summer a toad will be under my pedal board or somewhere.
    I have no idea how these things get in, but mouse droppings are everywhere in that place. I got tired of trapping them. They're kinda cute.

4. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

I once observed a rat leaving our garage practice area hastily.

5. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Not rats. I used to live on a farm. My barn was my music room. Had two drum sets, full bass rig, multiple guitar amps, and a loud as heck stereo that I used to crank all the time. I'd be out there about five days a week. The rats would just walk around while I was playing or sitting listening to the stereo. They didn't care about the noise. Big rats too.

6. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Afflicted

You might scare them off for a few days, but they get used to it and come back.

From your story, you were probably too intoxicated to notice back in the day.

7. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's

Seems like you rocked and rolled all night, and partied every day. Amirite?

8. telemaster03

telemaster03 Tele-Meister

Sometimes those making the noise are the problem...

9. driver8

driver8 Tele-Holic

You probably just didn't notice them. Even new houses have ratt problems

ReverendRevolver likes this.
  10. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

I cant attest to music keeping them away, but we never had mice issues in my moms basement or my dads garage at any point when the areas were used as practice spaces. Both spots had mice before and a few times after.

Now, we had mole issues when we first moved in to the house I own. Haven't since we got our dog. It seems to correlate with dog sized dogs, as my mother had moles terrorizing her yard from the time our rots died up until my grandmother (and her husky mix) moved in last year.

If one more bat finds a way into my attic, I'm hardwiring an extension speaker up there and making a quarter inch "outlet" to run amps into until they leave or explode.

11. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

I’m not so sure. We practiced/rehearsed at my place and my PITA g/f, at the time, just wouldn’t leave. (Somebody wanted her phone number last week)
    I finally moved out and my new digs had NO pest issues for a long while

Digital Larry likes this.
  12. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Meister

Perhaps you're missing the point: Maybe they just didn't like the music you played.

Just sayin'.

[​IMG]

driver8 likes this.
  13. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Forget the theory about the vermin. I want to hear some of the music you and your friends produced out of these disgusting conditions!

gregulator450 likes this.
  14. Ed Storer

Ed Storer Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Imagine being a bat with tinnitus. That would be a hard way to go.

15. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

sweet - Hi I will be your natural exterminator today- I will need to come to your house, load in a marshall stack, come back once a week for two months, and ALL of your pest problems will be behind you. Payment- beer and pizza will be fine- I might bring some assistants if your infestation is bad

16. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I do not believe there is anything that discourages mice or rats.

17. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Oh, the bugs and mice were there, I guarantee.

I've been in some rat-hole places around the world, and the bar district is usually jam-packed with joints having a loud DJ or a loud band, and they're also infested with vermin of many kinds (snakes, even).

Those things have been independently tested and they are widely regarded as quack electronics. I know a guy that swears they are effective; he has the little blue-light box in every room of the house. He also has an exterminator come in and treat the house every six months...

stormsedge likes this.
  18. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Afflicted

Yes yes, another excuse to play rock music loud:D

stormsedge likes this.
  19. THX1123

THX1123 Tele-Meister

This is the album that was written there. Our local college station put Favorite Channel and Nuke the Whales in rotation

https://open.spotify.com/album/6aXKnS8eUrSO7kaIC3OXlW

20. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Everytime I play the Native American flute out on the deck, it brings every creature out of the forest from bears, moose and elk to deer and rabbits to check me out. So, maybe it has to do with the type of music.;) Just a theory.:)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.