Band PA/mixer

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by rockymtnguitar, May 28, 2020.

1. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Hope this is the right spot. Total n00b here when it comes to sound systems.

I play with a 4 piece group. We are mostly playing for fun but we may do a few little gigs at some point. We'd also like an easy way to play somewhere other than my house.

Right now we've cobbled together a sound system that isn't very convenient.

2 guitarists > our own amps
    1 singer > Marshall AD50 acoustic amp via XLR input
    1 singer + electric drum kit > Acoustic brand guitar amp with XLR and 1/4" inputs

The guy that owns the Acoustic brand amp has to haul it to every practice, etc.

This morning I found the following listing on Craigslist:

*1 peavey powered mixer,2 PV110Hspeakers*

That's it - whole description. I can see it only has 1/4" inputs. If I buy an inexpensive, unpowered mixer with XLR inputs, can I run the drum kit and mics thru the unpowered mixer and into this Peavey Mixer/PA? Can we two guitarists use our existing Joyo amp sim pedals and go into the unpowered mixer, too.

The goal is a simpler setup during jams as well as if we ever play somewhere that doesn't have a sound system.

Thanks for any help.

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

I would think the answer to your questions is yes. The question is what you'll be spending to put all that together, vs buying an unpowered mixer that can handle all duties, and a pair of powered speakers.
    Another thing to consider with portability is that PA gear has gotten significantly lighter, so depending on the age of the Peavey stuff, new powered speakers may still be lighter than the used passive ones. And an unpowered mixer will almost certainly be lighter than the powered Peavey one.
    If you choose to go the Peavey route, be sure to get an unpowered mixer with not just XLR inputs, but also with a 'send' section capable of what you want - XLR outs to go to that Peavey mixer, for example.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  3. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I know this will take some $$ ( about 1K)
    but I would just lose the old school powered mixer/unpowered speaker ( heavy, and sound isn't as good, IMO)

and get a Peavey 10 ( or similar Mackie)
    Unpowered mixer and 2 ( class D amps, lightweight) powered speakers. We use the older Mackie Thump 12" speaker series.

You get 6 XLR/LINE level inputs +another shared 4. Plus effects. Tape and Monitor OUTS. And plenty of clean power from the speakers
    We often plug in both Main ( powered ) speakers- just put one on a stand facing out and the other on the floor facing us as a general monitor.

Or we put both speakers on stands, then use the Monitor OUT on the Peavey mixer( which has Monitor Master AND individual channel Volumes) into one or more POWERED wedge monitors.

We keep it very simple/basic. IMG_9959.jpg

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

You CAN buy little XLR to 1/4" adapters. I got mine at CMC Electronics. Obviously not as convenient as straight XLR.....but works fine.
    Remember....if the powered mixer only has 1/4" inputs, it's probably really old.

5. Twang-ineer

Twang-ineer TDPRI Member

The previous answers are all legit. It sounds like there may be budget constraints. My recommendation would be incremental spending. First buy a decent budget minded unpowered mixer. Mackie, Peavey, Yamaha whatever. Order a copy of the book: The Sound Reinforcement Handbook 2nd Edition by Gary Davis .... learn to use the mixer, start with monitoring through headphones. Use the main outputs to feed your existing powered speakers and amps. That can get you through practice and some small gigs. When the time is right buy the lightest powered speakers you can get. Learn to EQ them in the room you are working in. That should solve the problem in short order and with the least budget and effort pain

6. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

I would recommend two powered speakers and a simple mixer with slightly more channels than you need.

Powered speakers these days are pretty good and affordable, and flexible to use.
    Small gig: use one speaker
    Medium gig: use both.
    Big gig: use both, and rent/buy subwhoofers
    Huge gig: rent a PA and use the powered speakers as monitors.

These days, you can find 1000w speakers, which still blows my mind.

10" might work if you don't need too much low end, and 15" speakers mean that you will rarely need subwhoofers.
    12" will cover a lot of ground, and are fairly easy to move around.

7. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

I know that you will still have to lug some stuff, but I would buy a small mixer and run it into your two acoustic amps. Guitarists running through the Joyo pedal pre-amps. Once you have mastered this buy a pair of powered speakers of a suitable size. For rehearsals we use a pre-amps and mikes into a small mixer into a Peavey KB60 keyboard amp, or if no bass player a pair of Behringer B205Ds. Gigs use more in the way of speakers, though I have played duo and trio gigs with the B205Ds. You might get away with just one amp, but running two enables you to pan vocals into one and instruments into the other if they don't play well together. On the mixer front, buy more channels than you think you need. I still have three eight channel mixers (one belongs to my daughter and another will operate on batteries) a 24 channel desk, and now a Behringer XR-18 digital desk. Prior to getting the digital desk a 12 or 16 channel would have done 90% of the gigs I have played.

8. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

You can do it on the cheap. I bought a Berhinger mixer with effects for $100; 2 10 inch passive monitors $150 and a 250 watt power amp-less than $200. We used it 10 years with no issues. Also these components are pretty versatile and could be integrated into a bigger system in the future.

9. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

yes you can work them together. But some small powered 4 input PA heads are cheap and reliable. Peavey, Mackie are bulletproof. I still dont use powered speakers for Club work. I have and abandoned that mess. We have big powered stuff for outdoor gigs though.

10. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Great info, folks, thanks. Looks like that CL posting isn't for me. I appreciate the specifics given above for a better solution.

11. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

I’d go with one 12” 1000 watt powered speaker to start. They typically have 2 xlr inputs, and also Bluetooth if you think you need it. You can add more 12” 1000 watts later. You can add a mixer later. Prices start around $150. 2 weeks ago I did an outdoor gig where I usually play through their PA inside. I brought one 12” 1000 watt speaker($400 with Bluetooth). No mixer. Placed the one PA speaker behind us. Didn’t even come close to how loud it could go. Ran vocal, acoustic, and backing tracks through it. Bass player brought an amp. Back this weekend to play inside and they were asking about upgrades to get that good sound I had.

12. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

What is the budget?

The Yamaha Stagepas 400BT had a powered 8 way mixer with reverb/fx and 2 speakers.
    Typical system for a small band to get going with - common in rehearsal rooms.

Yamaha kit is pretty bombproof too.

About $500-600 equivalent in UK.

https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/proaudio/pa_systems/stagepas_400bt_600bt/index.html

i like the way the mixer fits in the back of the speaker...

I’d be all over that if starting up again.

Last edited: May 31, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.