1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Band Of Brothers!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by StratDal, Apr 10, 2021.

1. StratDal

StratDal Tele-Holic

There's a BOB marathon on the History Channel today. Too bad there are commercial breaks but the episodes are uncut. Always enjoyable to watch. Even though the series first came out 20 years ago, it still seems very recent every time I watch it. Enjoy!

gimmeatele, Oxidao, 1955 and 8 others like this.
  2. El Serio

El Serio TDPRI Member

I haven't seen it, but I read the book. What they did was truly amazing. I hope we never see times like those again.

gimmeatele, Tommy Biggs and Torren61 like this.
  3. RobRiggs

RobRiggs Tele-Meister

Fantastic show. Gritty, but then war is.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    Chiogtr4x likes this.
  4. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

One of my favorites! I think The Pacific is just as good (maybe even better?)- the horror of the island hopping campaign was unimaginable, and the series really does an incredible job of showing that.

5. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I would watch a show about the Mills Brothers, the Louvin Brothers, or the Allman Brothers. Probably not a show about the Osmond Brothers or the Jonas Brothers.

1955 likes this.
  6. zipseattle

zipseattle Tele-Meister

The apex of what television can be. Might be the greatest miniseries ever.

StratDal and Stillhouse like this.
  7. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

Yep, Band of Brothers and the Pacific are both outstanding, and if you haven't seen them you should make an effort.

I have both on DVD so I can enjoy them, but also so I can show my kids when they're old enough.

8. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I've seen the series a few times over the years and find it captivating, and thoughtfully presented.

Just like HBO's John Adams series, I get sucked in and wanna watch it all, buy my wife finds the fighting scenes too gory and intense. So it's hard to watch now

RobRiggs likes this.
  9. Bryan A

Bryan A Tele-Meister

they don’t call them “the greatest generation” for nothing. And sadly they’re leaving the world at a rapid pace now.

AlbertaGriff, El Serio and RobRiggs like this.
  10. Downshift

Downshift Tele-Afflicted

I can not say enough about BoB. I got the book 20 years ago. The cover had a blurb about "soon to be a miniseries from Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg." From Spring break until the show debuted, I read the book three times, praying that the show wouldn't disappoint.

And it turned out to be a masterpiece. It couldn't be any better. The acting, the characters, the chemistry, the personality, the editing, the look, the heartbreak, the horror, and ultimately the triumph over pure evil. In my opinion, it is flawless.

And it tragically paralleled my generation. The show debuted on the night of September 9, 2001. The opening scene is veterans describing the attack on Pearl Harbor. 36 hours later, the US was attacked again.

This is what led to my joining the military, though I ultimately ended up a mortarman in the Marine Corps.

73243066_2960998193934452_3108831133947849427_n.jpg
    20210410_185906.jpg

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  11. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

One of my favorites. This was my first true 'binge watching' before that phrase was ever invented. Now I have the urge to watch it again!

Oxidao and AlbertaGriff like this.
  12. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

it’s pretty worthwhile to watch if you get the chance...

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  13. El Serio

El Serio TDPRI Member

They earned the title. My grandparents were part of it. All gone now. My grandfather fought in the all-but-forgotten Italian campaign from 44-45. 60 years after the fact, it was hard for him to talk about.

SbS and Bryan A like this.
  14. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have seen it a few times and I am watching it off and on today. I think my favorite episode is Crossroads.

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  15. Downshift

Downshift Tele-Afflicted

The final scene of that episode, the montage of their faces as they march into the Bulge, makes me cry every time. They were special people.

Recce, Chiogtr4x and AlbertaGriff like this.
  16. Oxidao

Oxidao Tele-Meister

Yes, my cousin lend me the DVD collection, there weren't online platforms at that time.
    I saw the hole thing in less than a week, I felt like a jonkie, couldn't stop watching.
    I watched again around 3 years ago. Masterpiece.

Tommy Biggs and StevesBoogie like this.
  17. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

My dad was a Marine in the Pacific, front lines from Guadalcanal through Okinawa, came back with medals and never recovered from the horrors he participated in. On his deathbed, her thought he was under fire again. But talk about brotherhood -- one of the strongest bonds in his life was always with the men of his unit -- both alive and dead. BoB necessarily underplays the actual conditions of combart -- no one could watch it if it was accurate -- but nevertheless is more horrifying than most films, and it avoids romanticizing the war as too often happens, in a nauseating, fale way, when writers and directors try to sell something to the audience. For mainstream entertainment, BoB respects its subject enough not to falsify the story or exaggerate aspects of it for effect.

18. voskarp

voskarp Tele-Holic

I find "The Pacific" even better, I think... Both are great! Watched them a few times, last time was not so long ago.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  19. SbS

SbS Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

It is great. Watched it first time it was aired here on TV. And still remember the feeling when waiting for the next week. I mean not like what's going to happen plot twist wise, but the world itself and the characters.

Powerful impact.

20. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

I actually met Col. Ed Shames once. He was not really portraid in the BoB but he was with EZ from the beginning, and went through everything as you see it and more. He was the one who designed the 3D maps that they used on D-Day for the drops etc. He was a heck of a guy to know. Man, the stories he told me.... wow. He wrote a book on his exp and it's out there if anyone would like to read it.

Tommy Biggs, Oxidao and SbS like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.