Band is breaking up.

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Justinvs, Aug 4, 2011.

1. delb0y

delb0y Tele-Meister

My situation is similar...ish. My current trio is just winding down. No fireworks or animosity, the bass/player singer is emigrating and though there are a couple of people we could recruit to fill the gap it just feels like it's time to take a break. I've been playing in bands pretty much solidly for 30+ years and it feels odd to have no gigs in the diary. Did a dep gig weekend before last and I'm sure there will be a few more of those and sometime in the future the current drummer and I will sit down and maybe come up with a new plan. But in the meantime I'm enjoying the space to learn some stuff just for me - trying to improve my fingerpicking and solo guitar playing which I've neglected for too long. It's nice to have that space.

Derek

2. Retropicker

Retropicker Tele-Meister

Put an ad on Craigs List

3. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

You didn't really list who in the band does what, and often just as important who has what (practice space, PA). Is everyone stopping playing or are a couple of you willing to start again?

Can you take the inititive to start a new band? You arrange the space, get a practice PA, start building one player at a time? This is all a lot of hard work and what I would be faced with if our other guitarist called it quits (he has the space). If I wanted to go on I'd have to step up and make it happen and I hope that never happens.

Every band has a driver and if you are losing yours but really want to have a band you may just have to go for it. No one will appreciate your effort but you will have a band.

4. Rasmuth

Rasmuth Tele-Afflicted

do what I do...set up a home recording studio....and record original tunes, can be very satisfying.

5. mlove3

mlove3 Tele-Afflicted

why did the band break up ?
    Is there anyone left from the pieces that still wants to play out?

6. Justinvs

Justinvs Poster Extraordinaire

Good suggestions, all. Thanks!
    Actually, the lead guitarist, who is leaving, and I formed this band from the ashes of another band we were in together. Our bass player I met here, via the TDPRI. He saw me posting that we needed a bassist and it turns out he only lives 70 miles away. (70 miles by Montana standards is a hop) Things just clicked form the first rehearsal. But, a band eats up a lot of time and money, no doubt, and coupled with anongoing problem keeping drummers -we've had bad luck from the start in that department - I can see why our guitaris is wanting out.

And we're all remaining friends, which is the good news. And we don't have a lot of gear to split up or finish paying for, whcih also makes it nice. But, it still bites when a good band calls it a day.

I'm pretty sure I could get work again someday as a bass player, since I did that for 25 years and I'm a decent hand with a four string. But I hated it so much, playing country music on the bass, that I just don't want to go back to it if I can avoid it. And while I can find people around who would jam, if the music isn't bringing any money back in it just becomes an expensive hobby, and that brings up its own set of problems, especially from the spousal side of life. <G>

Justin

7. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Don't give man!...im 60 and played ina 6 pc band for 12 years then left for basic band reasons...started a trio...we use backing tracks (i know kkaraoke pple say but its not really).......now im gearing up for solo cause i will be retiring soon and moving after we sell the house....gotta play music dude! Hang in there dont do sumptin yalll regret::wink
    cheers

8. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

TOGA PARTY!!!

9. Old Cane

Old Cane Poster Extraordinaire

Well, you are in a semi-isolated area. The good news is you'll find something but it might 100 miles away. It's not about being the best player. It's about being the player everyone wants to play with. Since this sounds like a hobby just have fun with it. Invite them to fish your pond. YOU flip the burgers. Sounds like you're a good guy. You may wind up being the "other guitar player" but the important part in that phrase is "guitar player". The main thing is get out and meet people and you'll find something. Don't give up. People you like and like you will find a place for you.

10. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

The 50's are the new 30's so you've still got plenty of time until your 60's which are the new 40's where it gets really fun. Being a musician is like being a drug addict - you can't just turn it on and off, it's stupid expensive, feels so good when it's on, and hurts like a mother sometimes. Don't give up, don't sell your gear, just play and things will come your way.

11. Skub

Skub Friend of Leo's

What the man said.

Use the break to improve and pop out the other side a better player,you've years left to play at 49.

12. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

due to band frustration, i've generally held off until i've ran into people who i really click with who have similar goals, and i'm a lot happier for it.

13. RevMike

RevMike Poster Extraordinaire

Never give up. Never....that is unless you want to. I'm 43 and a mediocre player, yet I always seem to be able to round up some guys to play. Get yourself out to see some other local bands and make friends with the players. To me thats the best way to network. Somebody always knows somebody who's looking for somebody.... Also...you never who else in your old band secretly wants to carry on too.

14. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

15. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's

I'm 46, err I mean 36, and kick @ss. Ok, maybe I'm bragging a little but I have become accustomed to short term music situations. For whatever reason they just don't seem to last. I would like to be part of a long term stable music situation but I'm just not convinced that such a thing exists. People get the itch and move on. No big deal. I keep playing, new people, new situations. Don't get bummed out. Find something else. A new challenge. And bring some new tunes with you. New band, new people, new tunes, new sound, have fun!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  16. jazztele

jazztele Poster Extraordinaire

Time to go solo!

There's more gigs out there for smaller acts anyway.

17. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Friend of Leo's

Did the French give up when the Germans crossed the Maginot Line? Hell no! Ok well maybe they did sorta... but just a little!

18. leftyfrank

leftyfrank TDPRI Member

See! We're all out there! Work and family commitments will always pop up, so keep playing and looking out for others, playing alone can sometimes just make you repeat your mistakes, lol!

19. Justinvs

Justinvs Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks for the encouragement, everybody!

We're haying right now, which means I sit on a tractor 12 hours a day in the hot sun, and my mind tends to wander. In one of these sun-baked fugues I thought about putting an ad on Craigslist and some of the musicians boards around here looking for people to form a blues band. It would be fun and I have a pretty good idea I could find people interested in playing. The only downside is that, in this area, it would mean never playing anywhere!

But I still might give it a shot. No one ever accused me of sanity!

Justin

20. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Didn't get to read the whole thread, so forgive me if this has been mentioned...

But one thing you can ALWAYS do when you can't find the spot you want in somebody else's band- Start your own band. It's worked for me more times than I can remember.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.