Band in a Box

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Slippery Jack, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Slippery Jack

Slippery Jack Tele-Meister

In the absence of the real thing, I've just bought Band in a Box. I got the basic version.

I haven't really got a clue what you can do with it. I heard that you can build tracks to jam along to. I've worked out how to build a basic song with a chosen style, and I've found the mixer to mute various instruments. I don't seem to have any RealDrums, I suppose that is because it's the basic package.

Anyway, does anyone have any tips for my next step? I'll have a look on YouTube, but people's ideas and thoughts are always welcome.

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  2. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

".... then...years later.... loopers came out!" :lol:
    I had/have BiaB. I found it very difficult to do anything with, but I'm a numbskull with that kind of stuff too. I bought it maybe 10 years ago because I thought I could use it to create songs to occasionally do a one man band thing. I had a lot of trouble and talking with them they said "it's not for that". They were nice enough they gave me my $ back and said "keep it".

But seriously, you could spend hours trying to put together one song. With the looper, and a couple of pedals if you want drums and extras, 5 minutes.

FenderGuy53, ronzhd and nojazzhere like this.
  3. RobbieAG

RobbieAG TDPRI Member

I have an old version - 2005, and still use it. It's very easy to create backing tracks - just type in the chords, choose a style and hit play. I created five sets of jazz standards to play along with and practice. There are lots of ways to use it for practice. There are tons of videos explaining how to do that. At some point I'm going to upgrade to the latest version because they're always adding new features. It's very powerful, though the user interface is kind of klunky and the advanced features can be hard to figure out - at least the version I have. I also own a looper, but use them for very different things. The new version can export WAV files which can then be imported into the looper. I'm looking forward to giving that a try.

fakeocaster, howardlo and GuitLoop like this.
  4. getbent

getbent Telefied Gold Supporter

this is something I cooked up with band in a box... I spent maybe an hour on it.

5. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

I've had 3 versions thru the years , I currently have 2013 which comes on a HD. While I would not say this is the cats meow for all things , it is a million things in one. If someone is not SAVVY on its operation, I suggest that they DO NOT comment about its functionality or operation.

RE: I am not an expert, just a user.

Can you build a basic song track to practice over, in a very short time ? YES - BIG TIME. in minutes

Can you edit it to be more realistic ? YES

Can you build a very detailed song track with some level of experience ? YES

Are there differences in versions ? YES

Is it hard to use ? Depends who's asking, most will say NO not at all. In fact, pretty darn simple .

If you are even somewhat PC proficient, can you edit all styles , beats , notes etc ? YES

Can you transfer the files to MP3 or Wav then place them into a DAW as SINGLE INSTRUMENT or DRUM tracks ? YES

Can you LOOP and continue playback until your ears fall off ? YES

Can you LOOP certain sections for playback until your ears fall off ? YES

Can you program or edit what you input to your own 100% desire ? YES

Can you search YouTube for some very simple demo's to get you started ? YES

Can you search YouTube or Google for advanced learning ? YES

Is it possible the beats you are looking for are NOT in the basic version ? YES of course.

BIAB is the opposite of the 80/20 rule. With 20% knowledge you can actually become very operational savvy, and that may very well be enough to suit your own purpose.

The one thing that BIAB requires, and this is true of any MUSIC software that requires a MIDI setup, is proper installation to access your PC MIDI capabilities or ext MIDI device. IF you can't do that, well then its not BIAB's fault. That's a basic requirement. This is software, not hardware. We all may be shocked to learn how many people acquire BIAB and try to install it and say it doesn't work. Well, maybe we wouldn't be shocked.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  6. T Prior

Really nice !

thx for posting !

7. T Prior

Heres a track which started on BIAB, I decided to use BIAB AC guitars (split stereo) for rhythm and the Mandolin Chop rather than a drum beat. Bass, Tele and Steel added later on the Pro Tools system, the Bass on the BIAb track was replaced with the Fender Bass.

The song started as a simple BIAB type the Chords and play-along track . That initial track / concept / arrangement , took maybe 30 min. Then I moved the BIAB tracks to the DAW.

The end result is a song on my Demo CD.

http://tprior.com/FLYAWAY.mp3

This one uses a bit more BIAB involvement, 3/ 4 drum beat, AC guitars, same deal, moved to the DAW. Initial BIAB track maybe 30 min to put together.

http://www.tprior.com/Grace .mp3

Funny thing, this one , Amazing Grace, which is also on my Demo CD, started a little fad on my gigs, people started requesting it ! Even at Dances !

thx

tp

Bartholomew3 and codamedia like this.
  8. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?lang=english
    Plenty of help on the BIAB forum..Check it out..
    I started using it way back when it was free ware..Kept upgrading til I got the 2016 ver..
    I use it to make backing tracks and writing..The more you use it the easier it gets..
    Those "real" tracks are awesome..

howardlo likes this.
  9. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Cough cough bs cough cough....

10. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Tele-Meister

I create tons of backing tracks with BIAB and post them to YouTube. I also use the basic BIAB package. Search YouTube for LiveLooperApp and you'll find my tracks.

I find BIAB very easy to use. Here are the important steps...
    1-Set the BPM
    2-Enter the chords
    3-Pick a style for the song
    4-Adjust the tracks using the mixer including swapping in different drum or other styles or changing instruments.

Also the basic package includes real drums. I pretty much stick with real tracks for all instruments because they sound the best. I don't use the MIDI tracks. In the style picker the real track names start with an underscore and for me are sorted at the top of the list.

Enjoy your new purchase!

Slippery Jack and Pineears like this.
  11. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

^^^ THIS ^^^

I tried a few loopers and jamtrack-type pedals along the way, but I came around, full circle, and ended up with the very simple, original, Ditto Looper, and these You Tube subscriptions (which I play through my LoudBox Mini BT):

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm0l5oZRfgZzarNQGbLWOkQ

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqAZJmEC2-C9roOB4vgzROA

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4wErHDpSOgoFGTWrWaDwEg

https://www.youtube.com/user/guitarbackingtracks4

12. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

I use the 2013 version as well, and agree pretty much what you say, with a couple of additions:
    - The most limiting thing to BIAB is finding the proper style/beat for the song you want to create, because there is so much to choose from, the learning curve is a bit steep at first. Also, sometimes it takes forever to find out the "perfect" beat or style, if it even exists.
    - IME, the best sound output is the output to the headphone out, with a cable going to mixer or amp.
    FWIW, BIAB is what I use for my backing tracks, and have since the early 90s.

GuitLoop likes this.
  13. getbent

I have ALMOST the newest version... what I REALLY like about it is that it has a plugin so I can use it in Garageband and Logic.... The version I have is as close as I could imagine to having a cooperative, talented and creative group at the house whenever I want them. I really like the product.

Pineears likes this.
  14. T Prior

Can you share your experiences ?

15. getbent

I took it to mean that you are too an expert. which, I think you are awesome and an expert!

mfguitar likes this.
  16. T Prior

yes, this I agree with , but I place this in the advanced user arena, not the beginners or novice category.

Its not the perfect program to create RETAIL music and certainly many will shy away from many aspects, but for what it offers, I doubt it can be beat.

One major thing, also mentioned above, is the countless number of users who SHARE tracks , be it for practice or even simple solo performances.

A few things not even mentioned yet, the ability for BIAB to actually chart a song it hears, or the education it can offer a user, Keyboard or Guitars.

Also just as a reminder, to avoid some misconception, BIAB is not a Looper . Loopers are great, if they answer your need. They are not BETTER , because they are not the same product and are not intended to be. Silly, I know a few who have built Looper tracks from BIAB ! Two Birds One Stone !

GuitLoop likes this.
  17. T Prior

I'm, not an expert at anything , just ask my wife !

You're gonna have to just trust me, I am an average user at best.

"A mans got to know his limitations ! :)

18. getbent

well, dang good, then.

T Prior likes this.
  19. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

I've always been impressed with the results people have created using it. Every time I consider buying it, I get confused by the overwhelming versions/packages offered on their website...e.g. Real Tracks, Super Tracks, Ultimate Tracks, etc. I wish they offered a 7-day trial or something so I could figure out which one to get.

20. T Prior

GB,,one of two things..You are either way too kind or just drank too much Coffee this morning !:)

But THX, I certainly appreciate your thoughts and words

tp

getbent likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.