Band documentary - history belongs to the victors?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by klasher, Sep 13, 2019.

1. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

It's nice to see the great Earl Cate get a bit of notice. They don't make em' like Earl Cate any more, Earl was given his tele in 1954, it's been his number one since then.
    FB_IMG_1446942153333.jpg
    You should check out both the Cate Brothers and the band Earl & Them....

RJ

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread...

2. fretWalkr

fretWalkr TDPRI Member

So the title of this documentary is "Once Were Brothers: Robbie Robertson and the Band"? Say what? That's like if McCartney came out with a Beatles documentary titled "Once Were Fab: Paul McCartney and the Beatles." And left Ringo out of the interview.

I saw the band at their peak playing in Memphis which was as close as it ever got to being a hometown audience for Levon. It was one of the best concerts I have ever seen. But Robbie always seemed the weakest and least important musically.

I do give him credit for his songwriting, work ethic and business acumen. But it was never Robbie Robbertson and the Band. Rewriting history like that leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  3. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Holic

One of my favorite parts of the book is where they get stiffed playing some country bunker that was know for stiffing musicians and they dragged their equipment out and burned the place down. The cops showed up and said the owner had it coming to him. The book is packed with great stories.

maxvintage likes this.
  4. klasher

klasher Tele-Holic

I kind of thought the same thing, but then I thought maybe they titled it that way because Robbie's is the voice of the narration you're hearing in the movie? I know that's probably being naive, but that's the only thing I could come up with in my feeble attempt to give Robbie and Scorsese the benefit of the doubt.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.