Band documentary - history belongs to the victors?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by klasher, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's

I liked his first solo album...I guess I would say a lot. I put in rotation every once in a while. Some of his other stuff also.. a few were real disappointments. I never expected it to sound like The Band. The combination of that group of people was a phenomenon. As a person, from what I know of him, I would not want to call a friend.

maxvintage likes this.
  2. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I really regret not seeing The Band on their first couple of tours after Robbie Robertson left.

The tunes were all written, he barely sung onstage anyways , it’s not super guitar heavy music to begin with, etc.

He was easily the guy you would miss the least onstage at that point.

Jim Weider was RR’s replacement I believe.

And then when almost all of them showed up on Ringo Starr’s all-star band early tours I’d like to have seem those as well.

Jim622 likes this.
  3. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Holic

robbie has to live with what he did.guilt can become an issue as one prepares to meet his maker.he did a crummy thing to his bros.not cool.

HotRodSteve likes this.
  4. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Not just odd...

Here's a photo from my original copy of "Rock Of Ages".

Attached Files:

DonM likes this.
  5. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Holic

Levon's is a wonderful read. His voice really comes across well, like he's sitting on a bar stool next to you telling his story. I really could care less what RR's side of the story is. I don't trust him. I am thankful I was able to see Levon in Ann Arbor right before he died. You could tell he was struggling, but he still sounded great and I'm sure he wanted to go out with his boots on.

nvilletele and Telecaster88 like this.
  6. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

For those who would like to hear the band after Robbie, this is a great album. Warts and all. You can really tell Richard was hurtin. And I don't miss Robbie at all on these (Cate Brothers, filled in).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003B3V14W/?tag=tdpri-20

rjtwangs likes this.
  7. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's

8. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

I will, thanks!

9. lil scotty

lil scotty Tele-Meister

My biggest take away from Robbie’s book was how his real songwriting did not start until Dylan came along. I can imagine that he was working extra hard to be a songwriter in that era and he was great. I attribute this to the drop off in his songwriting afterward.

10. klasher

klasher Tele-Holic

My CD copy lists Robertson and Hudson as co-writers of Genetic Method. What the hell happened? Robbie would not be denied stealing more royalties! :cool:

11. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's

Damn

12. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

listen to their very best songs and ask yourself 'is this Robbie's voice?' If you have an ear for specific voices, you'll know what I mean. Listen to Eagles songs... you can hear the writer's voices in the lines...

As great a version of "I can't make you love me" that Bonnie Raitt does... go back and listen to the pretty crappy recording of Mike Reid's version and you can hear who wrote the song.... you can hear the ache...

I think Levon didn't believe enough in himself and his art was maybe not as important to him for the credit part... and, he knew he could just 'make more' never knowing things shift and productivity drops off....

It isn't the same thing, but when you work on products in tech... there are the guys who try to snag everything and claim it... I think because they know they don't have any ideas of their own... and the guys who thrive on creation and know... it is a narrative.. tomorrow, you'll come up with another thing and then another.... The greats--> bill atkinson, larry tesler etc... they shrug as guys make a bunch of claims... it is like breath to them.

In the tech world, Robbie would have been in mergers and acquisitions... a long time ago, I read an interview with him when he was living with Marty Scorcese and he was transparent... without meaning to be.... like the product marketing guy I was with today who begged me to ask him about his product and as I asked, he kept saying 'oh, I'm not a scientist, I can sure set something up with you an them to talk, but ask anything'....

Like asking Robbie about the river, the war, and rural life in the south... about the actual meaning and breath (and breadth) of the people in the songs... 'oh i'm no scientist (or writer)' the money is one thing (and nice to have money) but even better to wake each morning knowing you are a true creative and that it won't be going anywhere anytime soon and the science is in your soul.....

nvilletele likes this.
  13. fraser

fraser Tele-Holic

I read robbies book a month or so ago.
    I just read it as an impartial observer, I don’t have an opinion on the band or Robbie.
    I’ve heard the bands music all my life on the radio. I’ve seen the last waltz a bunch of times.
    But, really, I like the songs and sounds they made, I’m just not that interested.

The book was ok. I’ve never been into any of robbies solo stuff, and I’m pretty ambivalent lol.
    But I did read his book straight through at least.
    A lot of the places he talks about relating to his family, like the reservation, the cities etc, are places I’ve spent my entire life inhabiting.
    Unlike Santana’s book lol, geez i shut that one a third of the way through.
    And I’m the kind of guy who’ll read pretty much anything.
    Too light on interesting stuff, too heavy on confusing spirituality none sense for me.

I’d like to read Levon’s book, he’s always seemed interesting.

14. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

He would’t have fit in with the Eagles.

Jim622 likes this.
  15. bblumentritt

IDK... maybe it's a result of the publishing buyout or something....

16. bblumentritt

Here's the rub...

According to Jonathan Taplin - Princeton grad, road manager for Albert Grossman's acts such as The Band, Janis Joplin, et. al., the one who set up Sammy Davis Jr.'s pool house as a recording studio (along with John Simon), movie producer, concert producer, and Director Emeritus of the Annenberg Innovation Lab at the University of Southern California Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism - Garth and Levon made a good living from Band royalty income, say $250,000, until around 2001 and the advent of Internet file sharing, followed by low-royalty streaming. Their income dropped to a fraction of what it was before.

Levon had cancer-driven medical bills and a studio that burned down, and Garth had his equipment stolen, such as his custom Yamaha CS-80 (which made its debut at The Last Waltz).

They were hurting for money. Perhaps this is why Robbie bought them out.

Levon kept touring, and then started the Midnight Ramble to raise money.

Garth's income was almost all royalty driven.

PS - This is also why so many acts from the '70s, '80s, and '90s keep having reunion tours - their royalty income dropped to a pittance.

17. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

I'll just throw my voice in to echo and agree with what others have said above. In my mind, The Band's self-titled second album is the greatest record in history. Just staggeringly great, all the more so because of how subtle it is, and how effortless it sounds. I could go on and on. But as others have pointed out, after the first two albums the quality started to diminish. Rock of Ages is a great live album, and the Last Waltz is epic (for its own reasons). I think Levon's book is really, really good. It seems very honest and open. I regret not being able to see the performances he put on at his house in Woodstock towards the end. We were up there a few years ago but nothing was scheduled that week.

Incidentally I saw his daughter Amy Helm at a music festival last year, and she was really good.

And finally, we are all referring to Levin's book. Here is a link, just in case anyone isn't sure about it:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/1556524056/?tag=tdpri-20

Telecaster88 and PacificChris like this.
  18. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

Upcoming documentary? Details?

19. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

20. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

My favorite part of Levon's book is when he's watching the movie with Hawkins, and Robbie is up there intoning piously with the greatest solemnity about how "the road has take so many" and Hawkins is in his 60s and still touring a couple hundred dates a year. And Hawkins bursts out laughing. Which is exactly what that movie deserves. I mean it has some great moments but what a load nonsense.

I was in High School when the last waltz came out and I took I all seriously, or mostly. I remember there's a bit where Garth says :the greatest musicians are all healers" and then he references Charlie Parker as an example and even at 16 I thought "Charlie Parker? Are you nuts? Great player but he was a sociopathic junkie." Also who told pudgy Van Morrison to wear that catsuit? But for the most part I bought the whole portentious load.

Levin's biography is really a breath of fresh air. He's no doubt polishing his own apple and the truth is always somewhere in between but his refusal to take Robbie's nonsense seriously, or Scorcese's, or Bob Dylan's for that matter, is really refreshing. You can see his thinking--why am I playing drums for this uncommunicative weirdo bob dylan?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    nvilletele likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.