1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Bamboo fretboard?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Yonatan, Jul 17, 2020.

1. bradpdx

bradpdx Friend of Leo's

I have the original leather case!
    I was in the last group in my high school that required slide rules. Only the rich kids had HP and TI calculators (1976).

It has nothing whatsoever to do with bamboo fingerboards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tubegeek, crazydave911 and glenlivet like this.
  2. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

Lmao

tubegeek likes this.
  3. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

First Act actually made an entire guitar out of Bamboo for a short run.
    They were a tough sell to customers, but they actually sounded quite nice.

I bought some large Bamboo cutting boards for a upcoming build. Still thinking over the solid body vs semi-hollow body decision for the build. The neck and fingerboard will not be Bamboo though. "Splinters"

crazydave911 and Yonatan like this.
  4. Yonatan

Yonatan Tele-Meister

:)

It's two layers:
    • First, I glued each layer separately and clamped sideways across the skewers to press them together (but I also tried to simultaneously clamp it top/bottom to keep it flat)
    • Then, I glued the two layers to each other, and sandwiched them in between two boards that I clamped down to each other, to convince it to be flat, which succeeded for the most part
    It wasn't a perfect glue up, some gaps might need to be filled in with epoxy. Also, while planing it I noticed that bamboo tends to tearout on the parts that I assume are the bamboo nodes.

crazydave911 likes this.
  5. JIMMY JAZZMAN

JIMMY JAZZMAN Tele-Holic

Slide rules: okay. Baseball bats: maybe. Fretboards: forgetaboutit.

6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Tear out would be an issue, should sand pretty easily to your dimensions.

You could also buy a piece of bamboo flooring, then saw it down thinner and not have to fill any gaps.
    Not sure where to find that though and flooring usually comes in bundles. Maybe a flooring company would sell you one piece or even give you some scraps.
    Or just go with what you've got in the spirit of exploration!

Zepfan and crazydave911 like this.
  7. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I thought about the flooring idea because Lowes had some 1/2" thick x 4' long solid bamboo pieces in a box for around 50 bucks and enough pieces to make a guitar with neck through construction that I considered, but I was concerned about the tear out with using any power saws or router. Then that box of flooring became unavailable and they shifted to 1/4" bamboo over 1/4" fiberboard. Not using that.

8. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

A lot of bamboo items use a multi-ply/composite approach which, I would think, means that the glue/epoxy/whatever being used to bind everything would have a lot of infouence on the properties of the material, as would grain orientation. My bamboo laminate flooring does not handle water well at all.

Zepfan likes this.
  9. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

If moisture is at all a concern with the bamboo (expansion/contraction), how much would sealing it (like with maple neck/fretboard combos) solve the problem?

Zepfan likes this.
  10. eallen

eallen Friend of Leo's

Imagine how relieved I was after realizing my dyslexic brain reading of "Baboon fretboard" was slightly incorrect![emoji2962] Wouldn't want to monkey around playing that! [emoji23]

Eric

11. Cas.

Cas. TDPRI Member

I bought a telecaster at the factory store in Corona back in 2012, picked one of those 'telebration lamboo' necks, I really like it. It feels like any other high-gloss neck, obviously, it's just a bit different. 20200312_141337 (1).jpg

crazydave911 likes this.
  12. dogrocketp

dogrocketp TDPRI Member

2 questions, cas. Is the fretboard also bamboo? Could we get a closeup of the back of the neck, please?

tintag27 and crazydave911 like this.
  13. Tweeker

Tweeker TDPRI Member

iBloke, PlainAllman, tintag27 and 3 others like this.
  14. grandstick

grandstick Tele-Holic

One of my Chapman Sticks is the SG-Stick (Stick/Guitar). Unlike the Standard or the Grand Stick (which both feature a course of strings that tune down to C below E on a bass guitar), the SG is a shorter scale instrument that has both courses of strings tuned in the guitar range.

My particular instrument is made from compressed, laminated bamboo. Emmett Chapman contacted me while building it, asking if I was OK with his experimenting with a new stain color. He called it "Sunset." This color, along with the Turquoise Linear inlays, makes a striking combination. As far as I know, this is the only instrument he made with this stain color - it never went into production.

The bamboo is quite hard, and nearly impervious to weather changes. The nature of this instrument make it so that the type of material used in construction has no discernible influence on its tone.

http://www.stick.com/instruments/bamboo/

IMG_0509.jpeg IMG_0510.jpeg

15. Frankentronics

Frankentronics TDPRI Member

It is important to keep experimenting with alternative materials, techniques, designs, etc...

That's how progress came to be. Humans always trying something new.

Nothing will last forever anyway. I think the details to focus on is how to make it to get the best mileage out of it.

I wold also try to make a decision if the fretboard should be finished, like a maple fretboard, so it doesn't stain.

crazydave911 likes this.
  16. billstyler

billstyler TDPRI Member

Yes, good point. I would think, once the shaping, sanding, and slotting was completed, it would need to impregnated with something like penetrating epoxy or a tough varnish, like spar or marine varnish. Perhaps just oil would do, but it certainly would be hard enough. If it ever splintered it could lead to an awful experience.

Treadplatedual and crazydave911 like this.
  17. javierj

javierj Tele-Meister

Acording to the Wood database info:

https://www.wood-database.com/bamboo/

Bamboo can be as hard as the hardest maples. Actually bamboo is quite impressive wood, for how it's hollow shape is and to be that hard.

Maple wood database:

https://www.wood-database.com/hard-maple/

nojazzhere likes this.
  18. gbart14

gbart14 TDPRI Member

Watch out for Pandas!! ab8d270da7074d32b6bd9399ccb1e676.jpg

WTRT likes this.
  19. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

On the subject of bamboo. this is one for the boys! The lady featured in this video is Emi Omura who is a bamboo artisan from Japan who works bamboo into intricate shapes using the most basic of tools and methods to produce the most beautiful articles for the soul and the home decor.

She is also one of the most beautiful and serene women on the planet (IMHO) and watching her work and create beautiful objects from "grass" is one of the most rewarding things you could ever do.

Enjoy!

DC

twangdude and RomanS like this.
  20. Telebra

Telebra Tele-Meister

If you want to use bamboo skewers for a fretboard, they must first be used at least 10 times to Bar-B-Q some chicken, then soak for 1 week in Kansas City sauce. This is the definitive method, don't listen to anyone else!
    By the way Cas. The picture you show is of a Telecaster Thinline, probably American Vintage. The Telebration Lamboo has a body and neck of laminated Bamboo, but NOT the fretboard.
    Unless maybe in Scotland you eat so much Haggis that all teles look the same!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.