Balance / weight - how does yours, erm, hang?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by MeMota, Aug 9, 2009.

1. MeMota

MeMota TDPRI Member

Any more thoughts please?

2. numeric

numeric Tele-Holic

Gladys is butt-heavy, just like her owner. I find this makes her very easy to play, since my frettn' hand doesn't need to support any weight.

[​IMG]

3. BeardedRainbow

BeardedRainbow Tele-Meister

My Esquire weighs 6 lb. 10 oz. The neck sits is at the perfect angle for me, not too high and not too horizontal. I think it's because a have a lightweight pine body and a skinny neck.

And yes, Strats are more balanced because of the longer horn. A Tele's top strap button is almost at the 16th fret while a Strat's is at the 12th.

4. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

It is the type strap and not the guitar, especially the poly or nylon ones.

MilwMark likes this.
  5. Lucretia

Lucretia Tele-Holic

Mine is a Legend copy and I just weighed it, it came to 3.9kg's = 8.59lb's. I have a nylon strap on it and it does seem head heavy. I've no idea if the body is solid wood or not. I also cannot sit with it on my right thigh as the head dips and I just cannot get my wrist into a comfortable position without over bending it and causing pain.

Luke.

6. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

The idea of the upper horn of a strat was taken from the upper horn of the precision bass...which was specifically designed to stop this very thing happening.

I hate a neck heavy guitar. You can get a 'frictiony' strap to stop it sliding, but there is still a slight pull forward on your shoulder...which I find makes me feel tired after a long gig, much as if the guitar was heavy.

But if it isn't too much of an imbalance you can help it by extending the strap button a bit (I used a stainless steel nut on one guitar and it was enough...just needed a longer screw) or you can put some weight in the control cavity if there's room. I screwed in a few ounces of lead strip in the control cavity of another guitar once as well...but I don't know if there's enough room in a tele control route offhand.

Balance on the strap is one of the first things I check now when I'm guitar shopping.

7. OSBMan

OSBMan NEW MEMBER!

8. OSBMan

OSBMan NEW MEMBER!

I'm having the same issue with my Tele.... very neck heavy... quite annoying. Thanks for posting this question as most of the replies have been helpful. Looks like the extender is the best option... will give it a try. I agree with you, don't want to drill an new hole!

9. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Holic

gerry-pacemakers-500.jpg
    Lol

10. OzShadow

OzShadow Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

My Mexican tele is a boat anchor. Over 9 lbs easily. The good thing is it stays where I put it when I play on the couch. My next Fender will be closer to 7lbs, probably a Strat though.

It gets hard to squeeze them in between the 4lb Martins on the wall.

11. TwangToInfinity

TwangToInfinity Tele-Holic

i haven't experienced the balance neck dive issue on any of my guitars, even the lighter ones.

i always get the vintage type truss rod, i wonder if the double expanding ones possibly contribute to the dive

12. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Don't get an extender. Those change the fulcrum and weaken the contact of the button to the body. It will tear out over time.

Martin makes a thin leather strap. Matches the "fit" comfort of a nylon strap with the "stay put" of a leather strap. I'd start there.

Also, no offense, it sounds like you are new at this. Give yourself time to play and get used to it without thinking about it or hyper-analyzing a zillion internet comments. Probably you won't notice an issue in 2 weeks.

A 7lb Tele rarely has true balance issues.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.