1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Bakelite pickguard where?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Fender-guy, Mar 7, 2021.

1. Fender-guy

Fender-guy Tele-Holic

I’m looking for a real Bakelite or whatever the actual material is for black guards that doesn’t look like plastic. I want the real deal fibre looking stuff where you can see the rough fibre material at the edges.

Here’s what I’m taking about. This is my broadcaster and it has it.
    7A6AAAFE-0207-4340-B0D0-205478F325EF.jpeg

2. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Friend of Leo's

That's just the sign of a poorly-cut or badly finished pickguard! Bakelite/Garolite can be made glassy-smooth with ease.

Fender makes them, and lots of other people do. Prepare for an avalanche of recommendations.

Jazzerstang and Fretting out like this.
  3. Fender-guy

Fender-guy Tele-Holic

I wouldn’t say it’s poorly cut but the proper look for a fibre type material. All the new ones I’ve come across and have bought look like plastic.

4. Fender-guy

Fender-guy Tele-Holic

Here’s my custom shop 51 pbass which is the pickguard I’m looking for but to me this one just looks like plastic. 68F6B1ED-C895-4470-B7CB-925BAF236542.jpeg

wblynch likes this.
  5. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

6. Fuggle

Fuggle Tele-Meister

GIYF :cool:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  7. Fender-guy

Fender-guy Tele-Holic

Thank you. I actually had to good that because I couldn’t figure it out!!! Yes google is great but I’ve spent hours already and every company sells a “Bakelite” guard but none of them are actually vintage correct, just another plastic interpretation.

I want the real deal stuff and figured this would be the place to ask.

wblynch likes this.
  8. notroHnhoJ

notroHnhoJ Tele-Meister

I’m absolutely sure that Fender makes one. That one on your p-bass is exactly that material you are looking for.

9. Fender-guy

Fender-guy Tele-Holic

They say it’s Bakelite but feels and looks like plastic to me. I’m sure it’s some sort of dumbed down version so they can say “Bakelite” but it’s not really like the one on my broadcaster.

10. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Afflicted

I've never seen a 'proper' one close up, but in the UK there are a number of places that sell them for less than $30/£20. I put one on my Esquire partscaster and only today cut a neck pick up hole in it (since I won't be needing the Esquire one and I've already spent time rounding the edges and it's looking a bit worn/faded rather than buying a brand new one).

I never sprayed mine with clear though: I didn't realise they were originally clear coated, but I actually like the matt finish mine has and it does polish up to a shine with wear and natural oils from fingers/hands.

Tele 6.jpg

Tele 2.jpg

11. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Garolite from McMaster Carr as mentioned within Ron's thread. It's what you're looking for and you can make it clean/ragged as you want.

12. Fender-guy

Fender-guy Tele-Holic

I think that’s what I’ll have to do. Clear it myself if I have too.

bender66 likes this.
  13. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Afflicted

One of my Teles came with a Bakelite pickguard so Fender does make them. I don't know if they sell them as an aftermarket part.

14. BFcaster

BFcaster Tele-Meister

From what I researched 17 years ago Bakelite is a real bear to cut and form. It is hard and fibrous. I settled on plain ol' plastic for my Micawbre project. Am I wrong about Bakelite on that point??
    I do like the historically-correct aspect of it, and really like the un-clear coated look.

15. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Look for a highly rated seller on eBay. That is what I did and was very happy.

16. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

Stew-Mack ofered one about ten years ago when I was shopping for one for my Baja. You might check them out.

17. Fender-guy

Fender-guy Tele-Holic

Like I said earlier, I can get one from most online companies just none of them are the real deal. Just a form of plastic and since fender did such are great job trying to recreate this 51 pbass to historic specs but put a plastic type pickguard on, I’ll don’t get it.

Not that it’s a huge deal but I bought this as a NOS so I can wear it out myself. My plastic guard will never warp, shrink, wear and will probably still look new 30 years from now.

18. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Sellers calling new guards Bakelite are misleading or lying.
    I’ve bought & sold lots of antique Bakelite which is not the same as garolite.
    But garolite is more like Bakelite than the usual plastic guards.
    So you won’t get the real thing, just not gonna happen.
    IDK what the rough edge is in the first pic, but real bakelite isn’t like that.

A quality repro made from garolite to vintage Fender spec will not look grainy, matte, rough edged, or really much different from plastic.

Sorta like all the digital simulations of worn out downright broken tape delays.
    No guitar player back when tape was the delay of choice wanted broken and worn out warble.

Most of the mojo in fakelite is the hand sanded edges and the spray finish.

If you want it unfinished, that’s not a Bakelite guard look, more of a steam punk look or an acid washed jeans look.

I have several garolite guards with no finish, I do like that look but it’s a modern fakery hipster steam punk look.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
    dkmw and Peegoo like this.
  19. BFcaster

BFcaster Tele-Meister

I have a stock Fender 5-hole plastic pickguard, new and packaged, that has warp. Stock 52RI plastic pickguard...play your guitar in the sun/shade for a few years then take it off...it ain't flat, I can guarantee.

Fender-guy likes this.
  20. Fender-guy

Fender-guy Tele-Holic

Hey thanks for the info! I don’t know what the pickguard on my broadcaster is then. It’s like a fibre material for sure and does not look or feel like the supposed Bakelite guard on my modern CS pbass. The CS broadcaster was made in 2001 and the pbass is a 2018 so I’m sure the materials used have changed over the years.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.