Baja's quality fluctuation question: (Boris Bubbanov could you help me?)

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by ArielLaboranti, Aug 3, 2016.

1. ArielLaboranti

ArielLaboranti TDPRI Member

Hi everyone, I bought a Baja six months ago, it's great and I'm very happy with it.

But it's the only one I played because this model is almost not found here. I got mine by shipping.

It came flawless, and I compared it with Am std in the shop...

To my ears, Baja had a little less output, but once volume was balanced, it was more full sounding, with more middle and less thin "ice pick" sound, though Am std sound great too, but twice the price and less versatile than Baja.

My question is for those who could play a lot of, like Boris. I read that he own 7, and played almost a Guinness record number of them.

In terms of sound, Do you found serious differences between them? I know that some come with better setup than others, but once they are setup properly, Do you still found some good/average/bad ones? Does the sound change drastically from one to another?

I don't mind much about weight (I know they can change a lot in ash bodies); mine is about 8.5lbs and it's ok to me, neither if they show cosmetical differences like more or less grain in the body. I am wondering just about sound, and playability (assuming properly setup of all them). How much can they fluctuate?

Thanks you all, best regards from Argentina.

There it is:

(Clean, easy intro, with long notes. Neck pickup, tone and volume between 85%-95%)

Do you hear it like a good one? haha

I will post photos later if you like.

teletimetx and swany like this.
  2. MaxPlank

MaxPlank TDPRI Member

Nice tone, Ariel! Love that Twisted Tele pickup with a touch of Stratiness to it. It sounds as if you added some reverb and a touch of chorus.
    I'll let Boris answer your question in detail (he may be on vacation), but your guitar sounds right in the Baja pocket to me. Ciao!

ArielLaboranti likes this.
  3. ArielLaboranti

Thanks for your reply MaxPlank! Glad you like it. That is a killer pickup, love it too. You are right, it has reverb and delay (Amplitube), I think maybe you are hearing the original guitar of the song in the back as chorus.
    Best regards!

4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Congrats on your new Baja!

Yes, I have played possibly as many as 100 of the 50s style Baja, and the idea was to pick the ones I liked best that I could wrangle a deal on, but I think you could get a professional result with almost any Baja you bought. The kind of "functional" things that caused me to reject some were balky, noisy s-1 switches and damaged jack prongs and old, crusty strings.

I think you can fiddle with the neck pickup height relative to the bridge pickup. It is a little less convenient with the body mount neck pickup but not bad.

Don't forget there's so many "structural" differences between a 50s Baja and a newer American Standard. The excess solders and wiring associated with the S-1 has got to be a bit of a drain. The American has a much thinner neck and a radically different truss rod. The bridges are quite different and the saddles on a Baja can be raised almost twice as high as the American. The tuning machines are different, meaningfully different. The heel on the Baja sits high and the American's heel nestles down into the body. Some players will be able to ride right over these differences while others make use of the differences and still others are seriously distracted by these differences.

Enjoy!

5. ArielLaboranti

Thank you Boris, so it isn't a big deal after all, I should not worry... I guess Internet can be confusing, with extreme comments like: "If Baja weights 7.5lb, it's a bad guitar, but if it weights 6.9lb, it's the best guitar in the world". I really don't understand that way of thinking.

You are right, they are different guitars. I like "vintage style" Teles for their sound and look more than "modern style". Baja's 4th position and neck shape were the deal for me, and why not? The out of phase sounds... (without mentioning the price... Intruments are much more expensive here). I asked to test Am std too in the shop; no intention to buy it but to check quality differences between MIA and Baja(MIM), differences that I really couldn't find.

Thanks, and I hope to enjoy it for many many years. :)

6. Twang Tone

Twang Tone Friend of Leo's

My 3 Bajas all vary in weight. The lightest is 7 lbs even, the heaviest is 7.5 lbs. The neck shapes are all subtly different too. While they all have the large soft V shape the (50s) Baja is known for, the depth and shape vary slightly. Neck pockets vary too - 2 are snug, 1 has a 1mm gap on the bass side.

Pickups are all strong, especially the Broadcaster bridge pickups, which all measure 8+K ohms on my 3. The sound is pretty much the same from all 3, after adjusting pickup heights, etc, to match.

7. Roeletti

Roeletti TDPRI Member

I'm very interested in a 2nd hand Baja Telecaster 50's. But i only really like big neck profiles. And i mean really big ;). Most wanted for me: 1 NoCaster u, 2 54' Strat, 3 early 50's gibson rounded.

The fender site says it has a soft v shape, which today is too tiny for me. But where there larger shapes available? Or what year should i look at?

Can anyone help me maybe with some depth measurements of there baja necks?

8. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

My understanding is that the earliest ones had the fattest necks, with more pronounced V shape. Still not full 1" Nocaster fat though.

9. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

They;re wood like any tele, and that means like any other wood guitar they'll vary from a little to a lot. Theres no reason a Baja will be different in this regard than other wood guitars. Most will be very similar with slight differences in tone and feel. But close. There will also be some exceptional ones and some dogs. Thats the way it works with all guitars. Buying high end guitars will likely result in slightly better luck of the draw because they select wood using tap toning and other knowledge of how to pick a good sounding blank. But even that only goes so far and while variance will probably be a bit less they will still vary somewhat. With guitars in the price range of a Baja theres not going to critical evaluation of the wood and they'll pretty much just use whatever they have without evaluation. Wood is made by nature and much like picking fruit at the market, some apples will be crisp and delicious and some will be soggy and not as juicy and sweet.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.