Baja wiring

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by dcjekyll, Oct 22, 2021.

1. dcjekyll

dcjekyll TDPRI Member

Hi there, I need help !

My Baja is noisy when I am using the bridge pickup only.

I know that's because the neck pickup is an antenna with the 4 way switch.
    Telecaster Circuit 4-way switch in Position 1 (Bridge Pickup) - Phostenix Noise Reduction Jumper.jpg
    In the Baja wiring scheme, where do I add a jumper on the 4-way switch to connect the Neck pickup coil ground to the output when the switch is in position 1 (bridge pickup only) based on the Phostenix noise reduction jumper ?
    __KO Wiring - modified Tele_4_way_Phostenix Bridge, B+N Parallel, B+N Series, Neck.jpg
    baja-deluxe-s1.jpg

Thanks for all !

2. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I don't know that you can, as that will mess up the S1 down oop options

3. dcjekyll

dcjekyll TDPRI Member

Hi, thanks for the reply, I don’t use the options of the S1.

4. sjtalon

Well if you don't use the S1 at all then, you could just re-wire it like the upper Phostenix then, that would be an option.

Kind of a lot of wiring to re-do, but if you use position one
    a lot or the buzz bothers you that much, I would think it would be worth it then?

5. Vocalion

Vocalion Tele-Meister

What kind of noise are you getting?

6. dcjekyll

dcjekyll TDPRI Member

Radio frequency interference…
    Almost nothing on neck position and parallel, but a little bit with bridge position.

7. Vocalion

Vocalion Tele-Meister

I might be inclined to try a shielding solution before messing with the wiring.

8. dcjekyll

dcjekyll TDPRI Member

Already done !
    It was a big improvement, but still a bit noisy caused by the antenna effect on bridge position

9. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Friend of Leo's

I'm on board with the idea of getting rid of the S1 switch if you don't use it, and just rewire it like the first drawing. I'm just not familiar with the S1 switch so I don't know how it operates.

How did you shield it?

10. dcjekyll

dcjekyll TDPRI Member

Thanks for the reply, you are very cool.

I’ve shielded with aluminium tape the pickguard and the control plate, that’s all

11. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Friend of Leo's

There was a thread going around the other day about the best compliment we've ever received. Being called "very cool" by an internet stranger is definitely up there! Thanks!

I'd scrap the aluminum and get some copper shielding. Look for slug tape. Stick that in all the cavities and underneath the pickguard. When I have multiple cavities that don't connect I run a wire between each cavity and solder it in place so there is continuity across all the cavities. And then run a wire from anywhere that's copper to the ground on the guitar (back of the volume pot works in most cases). Leave a flange around the edges of the cavities so that when the pickguard, bridge, and control plate make contact, they're also grounded together. I can't say 100% that this will fix your issues, but I'm under the assumption that Fender's wiring diagram would be so bad that the neck wouldn't be grounded when just the bridge pickup is on. I do this in all my guitars, and they're dead quiet when plugged in. I also use copper sheet for the cavities and slug tape for the pickguard and hard to reach areas like the wire route from the neck pickup to the control cavity. But slug tape will do just fine. The aluminum shielding stuff I've used in the past isn't conductive.

Shielding.jpg

https://www.amazon.fr/Direct-Produc...ld=1&keywords=slug+tape&qid=1634915690&sr=8-4

I'm guessing that you're in France from your location and not, say, Paris Texas.

12. dcjekyll

dcjekyll TDPRI Member

Thanks a lot, you take your precious time for me, so you are really cool !
    The shielding I’ve done is really efficient, the problem is when I am on the bridge position.
    In the neck position, there is a some interferences but nothing that drives me crazy.
    So before a new shielding, I would like to find a solution with this jumper on the S1.
    And if it’s not possible, I will swap it out and replace with a classic CTS volume.

Steve Holt likes this.
  13. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

You can still use the anti-noise jumper with the Baja wiring. It only affects position 1, and that's the same with the S1 engaged or not.

If the blade switch seems confusing compared to other 4-way wirings, it's because it's drawn 'upside down'. Normally I see (and I draw) the hot side on the upper pole, and here it's on the lower pole. I did this to be the same as the diagram the OP posted.

By the way, that's not a "Phostenix anti-noise jumper". To my knowledge he never drew one. Someone drew it over his 4-way diagram. (Wasn't me).

Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 06.10.58 PM.png

14. sjtalon

Moosie, I have saved his original web page, and the drawing included the jumper. He also explained it. Not to say he was the one that came up with the trick though, but I myself never saw or knew of it prior.

4-Way Tele with Modification to Reduce Noise Potential
    One possible drawback of the standard 4-way Tele wiring is that in Position 1 (Bridge pickup only), the Neck pickup's hot lead is still connected to the output while its ground lead is not connected to anything. This has the potential of making the Neck pickup act as an antenna that picks up noise. A simple solution is to add one small jumper to the 4-way switch (red arrow in the drawing) that also connects the Neck pickup's ground lead to the output in Position 1 - effectively shorting out the Neck pickup and eliminating the noise potential.◄

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
    Tuxedo Poly and moosie like this.
  15. moosie

Thank you. Somehow I missed seeing, or remembering that. I learned of the technique from member @waparker24, who I haven't seen here in a few years. I don't know where / when he heard about it, or if he came up with it on his own.

I'm always surprised Fender hasn't picked up on such a simple, effective idea.

sjtalon likes this.
  16. kipkohl

kipkohl TDPRI Member

I never used any the S1 or series options, so I pulled the whole control plate from my Baja and wired up a new one with all new components and a 3 way switch and am very happy with the results. I know people say the S1 switching doesn't affect tone when not engaged, but I noticed a difference. To my ears it sounds better without it - a more raw/articulate tone.

17. moosie

Now switches affect tone? Nah. Look to the other changes you may have made, or to your own subjective expectations.

:)

18. dcjekyll

dcjekyll TDPRI Member

Thanks a lot for your answer !

I've tried this wiring but unfortunately it doesn't change anything...:(

Sorry about that.

19. dcjekyll

dcjekyll TDPRI Member

Thanks, you have understood my question.

20. moosie

Well, the jumper DOES make bridge position quieter. It's basic electronics. Perhaps you have something else going on.

Without the jumper, in bridge position, the neck pickup common is grounded, and the signal lead is floating. It acts like an antenna, catching RFI.

With the jumper, the neck pickup is shorted. The neck leads are connected together. It's as if it's not there.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.