Baja Vs Fsr : Butt Blonde Color Smackdown

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by surfoverb, Mar 22, 2016.

which color is more accurately pleasing?

Poll closed Oct 22, 2016.
  1. Baja

57.6%
  2. FSR

37.9%
  3. The desert sand deluxe betwixt the two

7.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Of course it is difficult to catch the effect in a pic, but I am seriously considering the Scotchbrite pad method to reduce the gloss/thick look of my FSR. On the back of necks I start out with green and then white to buff out the scratches. Apparently, there is even a "finer than white" which is grey.

2. maloburro

maloburro Tele-Holic

My FSR BSB was a botched relic job by the previous owner. Lots of scratch marks. What myself and a few other people here have done is sprayed over it with satin deft. It really turns out nice and not too far off from what some of FMIC is putting out now. [​IMG]

The Deluxe on the left was a refin that was done crappy with runs and such. I sanded with 1000, then wet sanded with 1200,1500,2000, and still some very subtle scratch marks are visible. Sanding with the grain helped, but I didn't want to put another coat on since the neck has legit wear.

Anyway, back on topic.

surfoverb likes this.
  3. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

IMO the Baja has a vintage vibe .

4. baldwindp

baldwindp TDPRI Member

Baja.

5. trep53

trep53 TDPRI Member

I have a 2014 MIM FSR Ash BSB (woodgrain showing) w/3 brass barrel bridge and I like it mainly because it plays & sounds nice and has a good heavy/solid/tight feel. However I think a tele in BSB without the woodgrain showing through the color does look "classier". I have three guitars that are all a shade of blonde. My 60 year old National archtop alone has three shades of blond between the top, back and sides with the grain showing. My Ibanez off-set solid body is a more orangish blonde (no woodgrain) with silver trim. I like them all for various reasons just couldn't imagine having one guitar, variety is the spice of life. Who would not like to be surrounded by blondes!

6. wiretap

wiretap Tele-Meister

Baja of the two, for sure. Personally prefer the road worn over both..

7. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

yeap the roadworns look the most accurate. They even have the white washcoat.
    the only BSB models that have that are 51NOcaster and the PV52
    52RI did not have this white basecoat, thats why the grain was more apparent.

Thats the dilemma: do you want a butt blonde that looks like they looked brand new in 1952
    (PV52, 51Nocaster CC or NOS) or do you want what some looked like 50 years later (52RI, FSR).
    Im pretty sure Fenders intent with the (older) 52RI was to make them look
    aged by making them darker and more transparent. aged without relic'ing.
    But we all complained and dubbed them pumpkincasters so fender responded
    with the PV52, not as dark and less grain visible.

8. surfoverb

wow your FSR looks like my Reranched CIJ...you did that by just spraying matte clear? interesting.
    [​IMG]

9. ted j. kale

ted j. kale Tele-Meister

Go for the Baja, very sexy colour!

10. JustEd

JustEd Tele-Meister

Mine is not orangey at all. I guess it's the pale neck that makes it look darker.

I might try that scotchbrite trick to cut down on the shine a bit though.

11. jambie

jambie Tele-Meister

Here's my contribution to the discussion... ImageUploadedByTDPRI1459117291.816812.jpg

12. VenomDennis

VenomDennis TDPRI Member

The FSR is too orangey plus it looks like it was dipped in polymer, too thick!

13. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

I agree. Desert Sand seems the ideal colour. Opaque BSBs can be too yellow and needing some grain showing too to work.

14. Obsessed

Okay, since we have the attention of a bunch of Baja owners and now that I have seen lots of pics (although trying not to hijack this thread), seems like I could put a 5 hole Baja pickguard on my FSR, but how is the lipstick pup mounted?

15. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The Baja employs a body mount of the neck pickup, although the rout might be a little deeper to accept the deep "Twisted Tele" neck pup design.

On your fsr you can glue in a little wooden platform and mount to that, or you can use rubber tubing or springs to float the base of the neck pickup above the PAF sized rout you have. Same approach as I'd use on an American Standard or Special that was being converted to a 5 hole pg.

16. Mutato

Mutato Tele-Meister

IMG_6797_1.JPG
    Here's my FSR with white piece of paper for reference on lighting.

17. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

After re-visiting all the various opinions here, I'm sticking with my initial response: Ask again in 30 years...and really, it doesn't matter. Because chasing the BSB is, IMO, chasing the tele-look of Danny Gatton, Roy Nichols, Bruce Springstein and anyone else who has carried that flag - in my case, any number of twin-tele-slinging western swing bands in the 60's. But two thoughts:

1) If you look at blond "mid-century" furniture from the 50's, I'm pretty well convinced that was what Mr. Fender was working with. After thinking about that, I decided one reason I'm kind of queasy about that color of blonde (which, obviously, the Baja is more accurate - as new), I recalled that my ex-wife's family had a houseful of that furniture and just thinking of the ex, well, I'd rather not.

I think the FSR's and Road Worn units have tried to approximate the color of some of the Broadcasters and nocasters, as you see them today - not in their original condition. So it's really two different things, in a way. There are a number of youtube videos where Seymour Duncan, George Gruhn and Norm's rare guitars all demonstrate various original real deal vintage tele's and you can see what I'm thinking.

2. Even though it hardly matters, I do sort of feel like a sucker, realizing how sentimental a choice BSB is really. I bought a Squire 50's CV whatever - my defense there is that I really like this neck in particular and the pups. don't much care for the inch-thick poly finish, but the price was right and certainly that finish will take a licking and keep on. I also have a 50's Baja - got extra lucky and won it in a raffle - but the accurate blonde-ness makes me queasy. Fortunately, I like everything else about it and I'm thinking of keeping it. So far.

Attached Files:

Obsessed likes this.
  18. Obsessed

Yeah, after reading through this thread again and never really understanding the differences in color, I think teletimetx sums it up pretty well. I really like the old "appearance" as "aged" and why I like the tinted neck so much on both my tele and strat. I suppose it is just one step away from the "road worn" series, but those seem less genuine. Twisted logic? Probably, since I now see that my FSR is a new guitar tinted as if it is an unused 60+ year old guitar versus a Baja that looks like a 60+ year old guitar that just came out of the factory.

19. surfoverb

this looks great! the FSRs all look different.
    I was at my amp techs when he showed me two teles
    one was an FSR, the other a Custom Shop Master Built he payed $9,000(!) for 10 years ago (wtf?)
    He got mad when I thought the FSR was the custom shop. It looked that much better.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.