Controller

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Ah that’s interesting about the bridge. I mean on the one hand it looks like having the six saddles would be more convenient, but I love the look of the ashtray style.

Did you find that the modern bridge does something undesirable to the tone, or is your dislike more aesthetic / functional?

I am not a big fan of brass saddles, i like steel better and have found the six saddle bridges to work really well.

LOSTVENTURE

Friend of Leo's
Two somewhat different animals.

The Baja has the thicker soft-V neck (thicker profile, not as much shoulder). The American Standard (AS) has the modern C (I think).
Baja has vintage tuners, AS has modern.
Baja has three brass saddles, AS has six individual saddles.
I am pretty sure the pickups are the same on both.
Baja has a 4 way switch, AS has 3 way.

The Baja is more a vintage instrument with a few modern tweaks; the AS is a modern instrument (as of 1998). This is a judgement call; the neck on the Baja is the selling point, but you have to like it.
The Baja (mine is from 2006) came with a Twisted Tele at the neck and a Broadcaster at the bridge, both unique for Teles at that time. And an unbeatable combination even now.

Guytar11

TDPRI Member
Love the Bajas, however I'd go with the American Standard. From the perspective of the guy playing the guitar, you get an extra fret, 22 instead of 21, and a bridge with more adjustability, (6 saddles instead of 3, 12 string height screws instead of 6, and 6 intonation screws instead of 3). The guitarist can get a more precise setup and adjustment and have an extra fret for high note excursions! I do play a few pieces that require 22 frets. However Partscaster builders and home shop builders may prefer the the easier to setup but less adjustable 3 saddle bridges and the 21 fret necks. I have a couple Am. Std. Teles and a Strat and each one is a great instrument.

View attachment 879842 View attachment 879845

All great points, and wow man those are some very fine looking guitars you’ve got there

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Pick the one with the neck you like best.

Then, just play the kinds of things that whichever choice "tells you" it wants to play. One's more of a vintage sound and the other is pure modern. Both are most worthwhile, so long as the neck works for you.

If you're using a 22nd fret, I think you're doing it wrong.

Walden

Tele-Meister
I love the neck on my Baja. I have another, much more expensive Tele, with a handshaped neck, but I am finding myself playing the Baja more. Also, the Broadcaster pickup is killer. What kind of music do you play? If it's at all in the country/roots-y/rock'n'roll direction (everything pre 80ies) I would go with the Baja.

Arfage

Tele-Meister
Looking at two teles and having a hard time deciding…

First is a 2015 Baja. S1 deactivated by tech, everything else is stock. MIM. Yellow (desert sand?) w/ maple neck. Good condition, small chip in finish. Price is $800

Second is a 1998 American Standard. Everything stock except an upgrade to fender locking tuners. Black with maple neck. Very good condition. Price is $700.

I’m just trying to get some opinions from those who have owned/played these two guitars, and hopefully figure out which is likely a better buy (value-wise), because both guitars are two hours from me but in opposite directions so I’ll ideally only be making one drive. The only initial opinion I have is I like the yellow better than black, but color is far less important to me than the feel and sound of a guitar

Thanks for any/all input and opinions!
The Classic Player series guitars by Fender was one of the best things they've done in recent times. Modified vintage types. I'd go for the Baja.

kjatexas

Tele-Meister
I have several AS Strats and Teles. They are favorites. Modern C neck is my favorite neck profile.

OmegaWoods

Tele-Afflicted
I have both. The AS is more refined, if that makes sense. A lot to love about it, with some negatives to me, such as the modern bridge and the funky wiring. The neck is thin, but still very nice and comfortable.

The baja is it's own beast. Thick neck and vintage bridge and tuners. Also very nice and comfortable, though I have XL hands so it fits a little better.

The price on the AS you are looking at is very attractive. I agree with other posters, take a look at it first, and if you love it, buy it. The price on the baja is pretty average.

I have smallish hands and prefer larger neck profiles, just better ergonomics for some reason.

Agree about the refinement of the AS over the Baja.

PARCO

Tele-Holic
I agree with the statement by others here about the AS being more refined. If my AS had a bigger neck I would play it more. Really the only thing I like about my Baja is the neck.

alex1fly

Tele-Meister
I know you said you don't want to drive twice, but dang. Guitar shopping via internet speculation is a coin flip. You may as well pick the drive that you think is prettier, if you aren't going to do your due diligence and get both guitars in your hands. If you HAVE the time, and this is the way you want to acquire a guitar, just spend your Saturday or a couple of evenings and try them both. It's worth it. Worst case scenario you drive to destination #1, then to destination #2, then back to destination #1, then home. Certainly worth it for a quality instrument that you (hopefully) love, and certainly isn't any more time than you'll spend online drooling over guitars :)

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
Looking at two teles and having a hard time deciding…

First is a 2015 Baja. S1 deactivated by tech, everything else is stock. MIM. Yellow (desert sand?) w/ maple neck. Good condition, small chip in finish. Price is $800

Second is a 1998 American Standard. Everything stock except an upgrade to fender locking tuners. Black with maple neck. Very good condition. Price is $700.

I’m just trying to get some opinions from those who have owned/played these two guitars, and hopefully figure out which is likely a better buy (value-wise), because both guitars are two hours from me but in opposite directions so I’ll ideally only be making one drive. The only initial opinion I have is I like the yellow better than black, but color is far less important to me than the feel and sound of a guitar

Thanks for any/all input and opinions!
Can you include some pics please.

mmannaxx

Tele-Meister
Baja necks ate great. Broadcaster bridge pup is great. Teisted Tele neck pup you either like or don't. I prefer a traditional tele neck pup. Love the 4 way switch, not the S1 but that is something you activate if desired. Thick poly finish is what it is. One thing you cant change is the Baja has an ash body and the AS has probably alder. Fender is no longer putting ash bodies on less expensive guitars so its value could ris over time. Swamp ash is vanishing. Look it up, Traditional Tele enthusiasts prefer swamp ash.

tomasz

Tele-Holic
I've learned one thing about guitars, that is important to me and it is the neck profile and size. You can get used to pretty much anything, but once you land on a neck you love, you will always go back to it's as a reference point.

That being said, I had both and I'd choose a Baja over the American standard because of the neck. I found myself switching saddles, pickups and other hardware anyway down the road, but the neck is what stays with you. Remember, your preferences may highly differ!